BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Stalking..

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:01 - 07 Dec 2019    Post subject: Stalking.. Reply with quote

So there I was, early this morning loading my car with equipment. I was walking in and out of my house with various bits and each time I'd look up the street and spotted the paper lad getting closer and closer. A car was following him though.
When the paper lad got close enough I asked if he was OK. The lad was puzzled at first until I pointed at the large Volvo 4x4 car following him. "Oh that's my Dad" He said. "My Dad follows me every morning as I go around the estate delivering newspapers" he continued. I was speechless. I continued watching and sure enough every now and then the paper lad would go to the car and get a few more newspapers to drop through letterboxes.

Is this normal now? Have delivery bags been replaced by Volvos? Do we live in such dangerous times that a parent needs to follow their 15 year old son delivering newspapers?
Talk about killing a planet through selfish behaviour!

piazza
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:36 - 07 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seen and heard the very same thing. Kids nowadays are much precious dontyaknow?

How dare you imply they can simply deliver papers like in ye olden days.
There are pedos everywhere!...shitlord Thumbs Up

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:55 - 07 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

inb4 carjacked

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:44 - 07 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Dad spends gawd knows how much time and petrol so his sprog can earn pocket money? I totally applaud him promoting a work ethic but that seems OTT. He (Dad) could walk with him, or even give the lad the cash himself to save petrol, wear and tear and stay in bed himself!
Whereabouts was this, Inner City London? The Scottish Highlands?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:52 - 08 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fake News.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:01 - 08 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with 1198 it seems like a somewhat misguided attempt at installing a decent work ethic. But in fact it might backfire, because Kiddikins would always expect Daddy to get him out of doing shit at work, and elsewhere.

This wave of parental hysteria about their children being unable to go anywhere is utterly ridiculous. There's not THAT many serial killers/suicide bombers/paedos out there after children; there simply aren't enough to go around. Its not really a show of strength or compassion by the parents, in a way it just means that the parents themselves haven't grown up because they are not exposing THEMSELVES to normal adult emotions of fear or worry.

Normal healthy children should be exposed to risk, its the same as them getting exposed to "germs" ... they need resilience (which in fact they already have). It builds character Laughing

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:08 - 08 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be just his first couple of times which would be reasonable.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:32 - 08 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't wasting petrol - it was a diesel! Can't be good chugging around slowly on a cold engine.
A mining village in SE Northumberland is the location. The paper lad was wearing all of the designer clothing too. I agree wholeheartedly that this is the wrong type of encouragement to be doing for someone to instill a work ethic into them. Walking with their son would be a far better idea but just letting them 'go alone' is better again. That way they learn that work needs chasing, to be fought for and at least some effort needs putting in.

My own first job was cutting old wood and chopping sticks at age 10. I saw a demand for them and would sell to locals. The money funded my first motorcycle for off road use.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:42 - 08 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

depends on what sort of paper it was

dailys so going to a few houses per street then cant see the point

free local paper then yes as they are heavy and you have about 300 per round

I used to help my mrs with a paper round

she was in her 30s and it was 19miles long (village shop and farms and outlying houses)
and yes we used a car

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:35 - 08 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did he eat a handful of freezing cold gravel before he left the house, do you think?
Laughing

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:33 - 08 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe he was making sure he did the round, and not just dump the papers in the first lobby of a block of flats.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

WreckTangle
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:21 - 08 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a over reaction I admit, but I do partially blame the media, I suspect that this dad reads the mail every sunday that will always giving shocking news about how dangerous this country is (full of pedos terrorists etc)

Despite the fact that this sort of crime is very rare (but understandly a concern)

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:29 - 08 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

WreckTangle wrote:
It is a over reaction I admit, but I do partially blame the media, I suspect that this dad reads the mail every sunday that will always giving shocking news about how dangerous this country is (full of pedos terrorists etc)

Despite the fact that this sort of crime is very rare (but understandly a concern)

Ooooh, you've done it now !! ... you've lit the blue touch paper now haven't you? !!!
AldridgePrior This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:37 - 08 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was a kid, I had a few part-time jobs.

My dad had a local shop, we lived in a flat above the shop in a row of shops, the sort of little mini-shopping areas that are largely gone now, three green grocers, three butchers, a baker, two newsagents, four banks, two garages, a hardware store, couple of chemists etc

Anyway, by the time I was about 14, I was up at 05:45 to get to the papershop down the road for 06:00 to mark up all the paper rounds before doing my own. Straight after school do an evening round for same shop, Had 4 free paper rounds, 2 for one that came out on a Tuesday and 2 for one that came out on a Thursday, also did holiday cover sometimes. Walked someones dog straight after my evening paper round, and worked in my dad's shop some evenings, and most weekends for up to 24 hrs a week.

I thought, and my dad thought, stuff the child labour laws. Laughing Middle Finger

By 1988 as I approached my 16th birthday, I was earning over £150 a week. Oh yea, by the time I was 15, he'd just leave me on my own to run the shop, sometimes for the entire weekend.

When I left school, and my dad sold his shop, and I stopped doing paperround I joined the civil service, but by income took a nose dive. Evil or Very Mad So, I got a job in a convinience store weekends and evenings to top it back up again. No one really knew where I should be in the civil service, or what I was doing, and I might have abused the flexi time, Embarassed

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:51 - 08 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
Maybe he was making sure he did the round, and not just dump the papers in the first lobby of a block of flats.

Ooi! Get you! Living in a posh area were the little sh*ts dump the papers in the lobby of the nearest flats.

Where I come from , they would’ve dropped them off a motorway bridge or chucked them in the river. Sad

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:16 - 09 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Free newspaper dumping was common here. Paper degrades and rots but takes hundreds of years if still baled. Complaints of non-delivery brought the delivery team supervisors out and they knocked on village doors asking if we'd had a free paper. I went a step further and told them where they all were!

This particular parent stalking the paper boy was on a Saturday morning - I remember the Sunday papers were a nightmare for my friends who delivered back in the day.

Mentions of milk deliveries. One of my friends was what we'd call a 'milk runner'. He'd go around with the milk vehicle but literally run back and forth between doorstep and vehicle. It made for a quick round and my friend kept his fitness going (he was sports mad).
Anyway, due to the early timings he got to see so much. We got to find out who left such and such's house at 4 am, who was having an affair with who etc.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:54 - 09 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously the lad lives in a two dad family as his auld man exhibits heavy ghey.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:13 - 09 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps the dad thought his son would be the type to dump them all, or had found out he was, and was making sure he did the job properly and learned some responsibility.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:56 - 10 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh paper rounds. I could be that dad, well sort of.

My first son, got his paper round 4 years back when he was 12, first we heard of it, was the newsagent phoning us. (Good for my lad).

We did need to help him at first, perhaps the first couple of weeks, but then he was okay. Now there was always the odd panic, where he overslept and we needed to do it in the car and he also had an operation on his shoulder, so we needed to help for a bit.

Number one lad is now 16 and now has a checkout job, so the paper round has gone to number 2 lad. Who doesn't have the same work ethic.

We are still helping him after 4 months, sometimes in car, more often on foot. I can't stress enough how important work ethic is. Even local copper helps his daughter on paper round.

Number one lad ended up doing gardening jobs for his customers and his direct experience of the job, helped with his interviews for his supermarket job. He explained how he had done gardening and when he messed up, he forked out of his own money for a paper.

He also managed to fund a gaming PC out of the round. He earned about £12 a week, but would often cover another round and got a shxt load of tips at Christmas.

The funniest thing though was my lad went 16 at the very end of August and all his mates worked through the summer, he was still on his paper round. Plus he had his operation as a 15 year old and there where pictures of monkeys in the kiddies ward where he was. (he's 6 foot tall).

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:48 - 10 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

AldridgePrior wrote:
hellkat wrote:
Did he eat a handful of freezing cold gravel before he left the house, do you think?
Laughing

Luxury.Of course we had it tough

..and when we got home our Dad would kill us and dance about on our graves singing hallelujah

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Stevie GooGs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:49 - 12 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sons 11, we like in a quiet village in the Highlands, I've taken him round a couple of times in the van when the weather has been blowing 60mph as he's came off his bike a few times. I would not be bothering following him, if he's worried that much he should not be doing it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:05 - 12 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
AldridgePrior wrote:

Luxury.Of course we had it tough

..and when we got home our Dad would kill us and dance about on our graves singing hallelujah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrLk4vdY28Q

scoobydaz
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:22 - 16 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 15 yr old lad had work experience this summer, local 'ish sports centre 6 miles away.

He has a very expensive mountain bike, Christmas present last year, which I was not keen on him taking and leaving outside so said he could use mine, he spent Saturday afternoon cleaning and servicing ready for Monday morning.

He road in via the cycle paths to his 'job' Monday morning and at half past three I tracked him to the local bike park where he met some friends, or so I thought, but no he had arranged for mum to pick him up and bring him home with the bike in the boot.

The rest of the week his granddad picked him up at 8:30 and took him in and picked him up again at 3:30 to bring him home......... Rolling Eyes

Then the in-laws have the cheek to tell me I'm not bringing my kids up properly cause they're lazy Twisted Evil

I tried to get the missus to make him cycle but all I ever get is "you don't cycle to work so why should he?" I work 22 miles away and am 53 yrs old and need to be there for 8am!!

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:17 - 16 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

scoobydaz wrote:

I tried to get the missus to make him cycle but all I ever get is "you don't cycle to work so why should he?" I work 22 miles away and am 53 yrs old and need to be there for 8am!!

Cant see the problem myself. Razz
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 104 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2