View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:47 - 28 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honda Rebel: welcome to munchkin mobility Smile

sapstar
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:15 - 01 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up buying a Kawasaki ER-6F ABS 2008 with 21000 miles on the clock for £1600. Bike looked in good condition and a lot of tread left on the tyres. I will be getting it on Thursday.

I am having to pay £650 for TPFT insurance for now Sad with a £350 excess as I am leaving it on the drive.

The last service was in 2018 and the bike only did 400 miles since last service. Do I need another service now? Or there is a recommended number of miles for the service?

Last edited by sapstar on 11:33 - 02 Dec 2019; edited 1 time in total

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:57 - 01 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

sapstar wrote:
The last service was in 2008 and the bike only did 400 miles since last service. Do I need another service now? Or there is a recommended number of miles for the service?

11 years since 08, and that's around 36 miles per year at best since then. I wouldn't ask "if" it needs servicing but rather "how much" servicing it will need.

You'll want to look at the production codes on the tyres rather than the tread: the four digit date code will tell you how old they are. I'd look for cracks and flat spots (probably just been stored on its tyres on the sidestand).

I'd give all the fluids a change and all the cables a lubrication. Its cold as awt outside, and so if you may be looking at much labour costs at a local garage at this time of year.

Presumably you did that test ride before buying?
AldridgePrior This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

sapstar
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 07:30 - 02 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:

11 years since 08, and that's around 36 miles per year at best since then. I wouldn't ask "if" it needs servicing but rather "how much" servicing it will need.

You'll want to look at the production codes on the tyres rather than the tread: the four digit date code will tell you how old they are. I'd look for cracks and flat spots (probably just been stored on its tyres on the sidestand).

I'd give all the fluids a change and all the cables a lubrication. Its cold as awt outside, and so if you may be looking at much labour costs at a local garage at this time of year.

Presumably you did that test ride before buying?

Sorry my bad. That's 400 miles from last service in 2018. On average since 2008, it did 2000 miles an year. Not bad is it? I have seen many bikes on autotrader listed with this kind of mileage.

sapstar
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 07:32 - 02 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

AldridgePrior wrote:
Edit*. If you’ve mistyped that date and the bike was last serviced in 2018 then it’s needing nothing but a check over, your hoop on the seat and some petrol.

Sorry it was a mistype. I meant 2018 Smile.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:29 - 02 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

2000 miles a year is probably less than half the average bike does a year. If it is spread evenly then no problem, great find. The tendency is though for a bike with that sort of mileage to have "taken a break" for a year or so then it's all about how well it was treated after coming out of hibernation.

Did you buy privately or from a trader?

sapstar
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 11:24 - 02 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
2000 miles a year is probably less than half the average bike does a year. If it is spread evenly then no problem, great find. The tendency is though for a bike with that sort of mileage to have "taken a break" for a year or so then it's all about how well it was treated after coming out of hibernation.

Did you buy privately or from a trader?

I checked the mileage history and the mileage is not spread very evenly. But There was a major service done in 2018 where it looks like lot of consumables were replaced. Hoping this will be a good find for my first bike.

I bought it privately. The bike is currently on SORN and I am not insured, so didn't ride it. But it starts fine and there are no rattles or noices I can hear.

This is the mileage distribution on HPI check.

21,101 miles on 12/07/2019
19,565 miles on 04/07/2018
16,768 miles on 06/01/2017
16,765 miles on 05/10/2016
14,150 miles on 17/09/2014
11,844 miles on 14/05/2013
10,551 miles on 14/11/2011
4,000 miles on 15/01/2010

seeyalater
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:18 - 02 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done.. i passed recently too.
I looked at a zzr600 and i found that low and ideal for a shorter guy, cheap insurance and nippy at 100hp. I ended up with a 650 bandit and love it, heavier and seating is higher, adjustable though im told and very cheap insurance.
Also looked at a YFR Thundercat, looks like they sit low and insurance good too.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:01 - 03 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

sapstar wrote:

Lower part is where the gap will be: wasn't M.O.T'd for just over two years, and then only covered one mile when it was M.O.T'd just a year later which is quite interesting.

You can put the reg through the M.O.T history to see what the last mileage was, but I assume the mileage the HPI is giving you may work of the M.O.T database?

If what's on the clocks now is 21,101 (or close) then it hasn't been ridden much in the last year.

Paperwork showing you that the last service was in 2018 is a good basis, but being two years on I'd replace the air filter, plugs, engine oil and overhaul the brake calipers with new seals -- then giving you chance to do the fluid as well.

Little jobs like lubricating any cables, shift lever pivot point, rear brake pedal and clutch and brake lever pivot points will make riding it smoother too.

Not sure how hard the battery is to get to but I'd remove it if you're going to leave the bike sitting outside (negative first - ; and then the positive +: postie + first to install and then the negative) over winter for a period of time.

sapstar
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 08:00 - 03 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info @NJD. I will get a service just to be sure. I don't think I can remove the battery as the bike has an alarm/immobiliser for which I think it needs the battery.

PS: The bike should be in continuous use though as I plan to use it for commute.

Last edited by sapstar on 10:44 - 03 Dec 2019; edited 1 time in total

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:42 - 03 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Batteries don't last forever! However, there may be a procedure to reset the alarm after swapping a battery. You might want to see if you can contact the alarm manufacturer for instructions.

sapstar
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 10:46 - 03 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Batteries don't last forever! However, there may be a procedure to reset the alarm after swapping a battery. You might want to see if you can contact the alarm manufacturer for instructions.

I think it is the factory fitted immobiliser and alarm on this bike. I will check the manual to see if there is some information on what to do on replacing the battery. I also have a car battery tester. I will check the condition of the battery when I get it to make sure its healthy.
I also have a battery charger which I can use every now and then to make sure battery is not drained completely.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 13:51 - 03 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
sapstar wrote:

Lower part is where the gap will be: wasn't M.O.T'd for just over two years, and then only covered one mile when it was M.O.T'd just a year later which is quite interesting.

3 miles in 3 months. In winter. Probably sold to a dealer who then sold it on with a new mot.

sapstar
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:34 - 04 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately the seller sent me a text saying the bike is not available anymore after agreeing a sale and arranging to be collected on Thursday... Now back to finding another bike. Have an appointment to view a 2015 ER-6N today.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:52 - 04 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

sapstar wrote:
I ended up buying a Kawasaki ER-6F ABS 2008

sapstar wrote:
Unfortunately the seller sent me a text saying the bike is not available anymore after agreeing a sale and arranging to be collected on Thursday...

But what about...

sapstar wrote:
I will be getting it on Thursday.

...?

Either you were dreaming, and wasting our time and advice, or the seller chose not to sell to you? Rolling Eyes

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:17 - 04 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being in an area where there are few bikes around, I'm not surprised you had to make an appointment!

sapstar
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:30 - 04 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically I went and saw the bike on Sunday. Came home and done a hpi check and confirmed to the seller I will buy it. Agreement was to get the bike dropped to me. So we agreed Thursday. I got a text Tuesday saying the bike is sold to someone else.

I am actually glad this happened. I viewed a Kawasaki ER-6N 2015 with 29000 miles today and left a deposit for delivery on Friday Smile.

sapstar
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 11:15 - 08 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally... Got my first motorbike Smile.
https://i.ibb.co/999X47D/20191207-150411.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/KhCjdqR/20191207-150400.jpg

Also got my "garage" ready Smile to bring down my insurance costs.

https://i.ibb.co/fnSv24H/20191207-132018.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/vhw44Y1/20191206-162138.jpg

I managed to get really cheap TPFT insurance from Carole Nash by getting a 6 wheel policy. This was just £96 more than what I pay for my car at the moment. The excess was quite low too at £100 for car and £150 for bike. Legal cover + Breakdown with at home cover also included.

Thanks very much for all the help you provided in getting my first bike sorted.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:37 - 08 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested to hear if the insurance company would classify that as a garage in the event of a home theft.

Interesting use of tight space. Be sure to grit the drive when it frosts over as it looks like a recipe for slipy slidy and then drop.

Looks like a pain in the arse to get in and out of, though. I'm sure you'll knock down / adapt whatever's needed over time.

sapstar
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:35 - 08 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
I'd be interested to hear if the insurance company would classify that as a garage in the event of a home theft.

Interesting use of tight space. Be sure to grit the drive when it frosts over as it looks like a recipe for slipy slidy and then drop.

Looks like a pain in the arse to get in and out of, though. I'm sure you'll knock down / adapt whatever's needed over time.

Checked with a few insurance companies. Current one classified anything which is locked as a garage (wood, metal or brick). Another company said they classify it as a garage only if three walls are brick, concrete floor and a locked door. I think it meets all their requirements Smile. Initially I was going to get the metal box, but that was going to obscure a bit of my window and some insurance companies clarify it as a shed, which adds around £100 to £150 to the quote compared to garages.

Getting in was OK, but initially I struggled getting out as I have to swerve past the bay window. But I got it now and practiced it a few times yesterday. I can do it all day now. On the positive side, it will be a bit difficult for someone trying to steal it too.

Yes I have thought of the drive being slippery. Need to keep a few bags of grit handy.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:30 - 08 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

sapstar wrote:
On the positive side, it will be a bit difficult for someone trying to steal it too.

Aye. The video of the MT07(?) attempted stolen while locked up under a cover on a drive that appeared on here a while back springs to mind.

Pain, but whatever it takes to keep it yours suppose.

Enjoy. Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 141 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2