Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Rasberry Pi - Arcade Emulator

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:39 - 02 Dec 2019    Post subject: Rasberry Pi - Arcade Emulator Reply with quote

Good evening,

Been looking at the Pandorra boxes and looking at reviews for game emulation. I'm a child of the 80's and have a hankering for some low res goodliness, however these units are fairly pricey, and they come with all sorts of playability issues.

Anyway..

What's the deal with rasberry Pi, are they good for emulator type tasks? Thinking of buying my own arcade stick and going down the raspberry pi route.

Fanx

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:28 - 02 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're great at it, especially the latest version 4 Pi. Get a "keyboard switch to USB interface" and you can wire in real arcade buttons and joysticks to the PI Smile

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:29 - 02 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got Pi3 and Pi4, both very capable at emulating MS:DOS, C64, ZX Spectrum... and other such computers and all the 8 bit and 16 bit home consoles upto PS1 and N64 era. It also does great GB, GBC and GBA emulation. PSP (and Dreamcast, Saturn...) is doable, however not every game runs well.

Pi4 is obviously better at emulating stuff than Pi3, but not that far ahead. Also, the cool thing about Raspberry platform is the community support, both in hardware and software support.

Try to find your local Raspberry Pi shop. My local shop (CZE) sells Pi kits of all sorts, even gaming stuff with complete plug 'n' play kits with pre-installed SD cards. *You'll have to source your own game roms, obviously.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 21:33 - 02 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retropie? I've seen arcade cabs made up using the Retropie front end to run MAME and other emulators. They usually have a USB keyboard hidden in the back somewhere for administrative tasks, but they are usually controlled by the Sanwa joystick and buttons they put in the top.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:41 - 02 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP, google ''retropie kit''. Thumbs Up

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:19 - 02 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
OP, google ''retropie kit''. Thumbs Up

Will do. thanks

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:16 - 03 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made one. Well, I made 2 actually because we had some space between two sofas at work.

The Pi was a very small part of each of them to be honest.

Pick a screen first, tear it down to component level and find a way to mount it, preferably behind some glass or perspex. Make sure the screen you pick is big enough at 5x4 aspect ratio - hint - a widescreen will not be useful in this situation, as most retro arcade stuff is 5x4, a lot were designed with the screen rotated 90 degrees too...

Then pick your controls, I used a kit from arcadeworlduk.com - great service there... You'll end up with buttons, wires and a control box that plugs into USB.

Work out where you want the buttons placed; slagcoin are a good resource for templates of various layouts.

Choose the angle between the screen and the control board, screw some bits on (draw the rest of the fvcking owl) and bob's a goodun.

https://i.imgur.com/UnpTorM.jpg
https://imgur.com/jJRk3Ko.jpg

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:41 - 03 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

UnknownStuntman wrote:
I made one. Well, I made 2 actually because we had some space between two sofas at work.

The Pi was a very small part of each of them to be honest.

Pick a screen first, tear it down to component level and find a way to mount it, preferably behind some glass or perspex. Make sure the screen you pick is big enough at 5x4 aspect ratio - hint - a widescreen will not be useful in this situation, as most retro arcade stuff is 5x4, a lot were designed with the screen rotated 90 degrees too...

Then pick your controls, I used a kit from arcadeworlduk.com - great service there... You'll end up with buttons, wires and a control box that plugs into USB.

Work out where you want the buttons placed; slagcoin are a good resource for templates of various layouts.

Choose the angle between the screen and the control board, screw some bits on (draw the rest of the fvcking owl) and bob's a goodun.

https://i.imgur.com/UnpTorM.jpg
https://imgur.com/jJRk3Ko.jpg

Really impressive!!

Thank you for the links etc.

How long did it take you to knock something like this together?

Thanks

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:33 - 03 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

First one took a few months because I had no idea what I was doing, I made it up as I went along.

Second one a couple weeks. Finding a suitable donor coffee table was the trickiest part.

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:13 - 03 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

UnknownStuntman wrote:
First one took a few months because I had no idea what I was doing, I made it up as I went along.

Second one a couple weeks. Finding a suitable donor coffee table was the trickiest part.

Do you have a basic plan for making that cabinet one?

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 10:44 - 04 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

if your not comfortable with the making of the cabinet.
there are a whole host of cnc cut MDF cabinets on the likes of ebay,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/163904025958?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&itemid=163904025958&targetid=594043235470&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9045029&poi=&campaignid=6466403028&mkgroupid=78240852180&rlsatarget=aud-629407025025:pla-594043235470&abcId=1140486&merchantid=6995734&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI24nWp9qb5gIViK3tCh10hQA4EAQYBSABEgIyI_D_BwE

Last edited by colink98 on 11:09 - 04 Dec 2019; edited 1 time in total

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:46 - 04 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubbs wrote:

Absolutely not! While I was giddy with research I did find multiple people selling ready cut MDF kits on ebay, think they were about £200 from memory. I did a fair share of squinting, teeth sucking and neck rubbing to get my box done, and I'm sure there were measurements involved. But mostly by eye.

More pics:
https://i.imgur.com/r9gMDnQ.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/kGzcWmF.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/RhvtmBA.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/wsXyVHY.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/fGalAaI.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/5iJspSa.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/uVLJCcM.jpg

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:13 - 10 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incidentally, the screen popped on the table a while ago and I ordered a replacement screen for it that sat in a box by my desk for a few months. Opened it Friday intending to rip the machine to bits to fit. Wrong size screen, innit. Rolling Eyes

So, I guess I'll be making another one soon. Always wanted an OutRun box, so I'll let you know what I make... Cool

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:15 - 10 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

UnknownStuntman wrote:
Incidentally, the screen popped on the table a while ago and I ordered a replacement screen for it that sat in a box by my desk for a few months. Opened it Friday intending to rip the machine to bits to fit. Wrong size screen, innit. Rolling Eyes

So, I guess I'll be making another one soon. Always wanted an OutRun box, so I'll let you know what I make... Cool

What thickness Ply are you using? 12, 15 or 18mm?

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:35 - 10 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubbs wrote:
What thickness Ply are you using? 12, 15 or 18mm?
Reckon 12mm is good enough, I covered a multitude of sins with 'modesty blocks' in the first one. Only deviation was the actual controls panel which I think was 18mm. But only because I had it there with me.

Routing out underneath a button set is an extra step I don't really appreciate. 12mm is touch enough, and if you do see any flex, put a rib on the back, innit.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 109 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1