Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Jail MPs for lying

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs
View previous topic : View next topic  

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:30 - 11 Dec 2019    Post subject: Jail MPs for lying Reply with quote

https://metro.co.uk/2019/12/11/mps-jailed-lying-public-new-law-11751567/

Quote:
Under the Compassion in Politics bill, it would be illegal for a politician to make a public pronouncement which, at the time it was made, they knew or believed to be untrue.

The law would apply to anyone active in party politics, or a person holding or seeking office in government at either a local, regional, or national level.

Sounds interesting, but I can't imagine it getting anywhere too many self serving pigs with their noses in the trough to allow themselves to risk being sent to jail for opening their mouths.

It about time we had some accountability from them though,

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:19 - 12 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the problem being, as you say, why would they vote it in when the only people it's going to curtail is themselves.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:32 - 12 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was there not a recent court case over just this subject and politicians won and are allowed to lie as much as they want?

It could still be gotten around if made a law anyway. They just need to say things such as 'I believe that we will be giving money to the NHS' and so on. If caught they could add 'I'm sorry. I made a mistake' and nothing would touch them.

Politics is a messy place. The fact that it's messy tells us all that it does need fixing. If I made errors like politicians do in my job then I'd be out the door with a minutes notice. I can't think of a workplace where so much slack is given to employees. Heck even if they are sacked they remain on a small income and return to politics a year later as if nothing ever happened.

(rant mode activated...)
I know a woman who works as a civil servant. She went on the sick - she actually caught whooping cough. Serious stuff. When she returned to work she had to attend a meeting and she was warned that it was not acceptable taking time off!! That's the civil f*cking service FFS! Yeah and who heads those departments? Top people are politicians but it's OK for them eh?

Best we can do with politicians currently is vote them out after 4 years of frustration but like the outgoing one, a new one will have plenty of time to wreck lives (even murder them). Nothing will change methinks.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:59 - 12 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If politicians weren't allowed to lie, Parliament would be silent.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:24 - 12 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
Was there not a recent court case over just this subject and politicians won and are allowed to lie as much as they want?

It could still be gotten around if made a law anyway. They just need to say things such as 'I believe that we will be giving money to the NHS' and so on. If caught they could add 'I'm sorry. I made a mistake' and nothing would touch them.

Politics is a messy place. The fact that it's messy tells us all that it does need fixing. If I made errors like politicians do in my job then I'd be out the door with a minutes notice. I can't think of a workplace where so much slack is given to employees. Heck even if they are sacked they remain on a small income and return to politics a year later as if nothing ever happened.

(rant mode activated...)
I know a woman who works as a civil servant. She went on the sick - she actually caught whooping cough. Serious stuff. When she returned to work she had to attend a meeting and she was warned that it was not acceptable taking time off!! That's the civil f*cking service FFS! Yeah and who heads those departments? Top people are politicians but it's OK for them eh?

Best we can do with politicians currently is vote them out after 4 years of frustration but like the outgoing one, a new one will have plenty of time to wreck lives (even murder them). Nothing will change methinks.

Depends how you define recent.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:33 - 13 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one is the top of the pile but I'm sure there are older similar cases about lies and politics. (my Google Fu is worn out today)

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/conservative-party/boris-johnson/news/104410/high-court-throws-out-%C2%A3350m

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:43 - 13 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if actually jailed they'll just get released early and start running up and down London Bridge telling even bigger whoppers (until taken out by SO19).
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 132 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1