Riding in rain with glasses?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Johnnythefox
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 11:07 - 13 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

sapstar wrote:
Sorry, I haven't been upto speed with all the advise given. Just went through all the comments and was able to gather the following.

1. Visor slightly open. I actually tried this while riding yesterday, but my visor only clicks and holds in 2 positions. One fully open and the other at half way. Need to see if I can get it to hold slightly open.
2. Pinlock. My helmet manual says, pinlock ready. Was able to see that there are anti fog inserts in amazon.
3. Respro foggy.
4. Contact lenses. I used them in the past, but left them as they weren't comfortable for all day use. May not be an option.
5. I have found some anti fog sprays online. Do these work? Also there is a rainx plastic now. Anyone tried this?

I have a pinlock fitted, can crack the visor open slightly, it's not great, glasses still get wet, i tried contacts but am crap at putting them in so next year i am going to look at having laser eye treatment.

Prawny
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:52 - 13 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve got a pin lock, the reflections are shit in the dark and rain, but still better than fogging.

I’ve got some nikwax visor stuff to keep the rain off but it only works when it’s sheeting down, in this weather cleaning the road spray off is a bigger issue. I don’t know what the answer is.

Might try a visorcat

zark
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:20 - 13 Dec 2019    Post subject: Re: Riding in rain with glasses? Reply with quote

sapstar wrote:
Also the headlights from oncoming vehicles was dazzling me

I'm currently rocking a light yellow pinlock as most of my commutes are in the dark...
Really helps with the glare from other headlights. I think it says 'for daylight use only' on it but it's great in the dark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:39 - 14 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prawny wrote:
in this weather cleaning the road spray off is a bigger issue. I don’t know what the answer is.
Might try a visorcat

Maybe try a Bob Heath vee wipe first - much cheaper than a visorcat and highly effective (provided your visor's wet - no good for dried on crap)

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:42 - 15 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was that weird looking propeller thing you could attach to a helmet that deflected the rain. Was out in the 1960s IIRC. I'd love to try one if only for a laugh.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Prawny
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 13:42 - 16 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Prawny wrote:
in this weather cleaning the road spray off is a bigger issue. I don’t know what the answer is.
Might try a visorcat

Maybe try a Bob Heath vee wipe first - much cheaper than a visorcat and highly effective (provided your visor's wet - no good for dried on crap)

Ooh nice, will pick one of them up. Local too Thumbs Up

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:53 - 16 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_Pagin wrote:
What was that weird looking propeller thing you could attach to a helmet that deflected the rain. Was out in the 1960s IIRC. I'd love to try one if only for a laugh.

https://www.mitsu.co.il/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/turbo-visor-2.jpg

Graham Hill liked to keep his shit-lip moustache dry with one.

https://i.redd.it/5giivau0oiz21.jpg
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

sapstar
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:36 - 13 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry it has been long since my original post, but wanted to share how I got on with the problem.

I tried pinlock. But I still had issues as the glasses started fogging.
I then tried a balaclava I already have. This made it difficult to breathe.
I tried keeping the helmet item slightly. I was able to keep it open for a little while, but it keeps dropping very often.

My final solution was to use a open face helmet. I know it probably isn't as safe as the full face, but this works really well for me.
1. No more misting of glasses or visor.
2. Blind spots are reduced.
3. Much easier to turn my head around for life saver checks.

Thanks everyone for your guidance.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:48 - 14 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

sapstar wrote:
Sorry it has been long since my original post, but wanted to share how I got on with the problem.

I tried keeping the helmet item slightly. I was able to keep it open for a little while, but it keeps dropping very often.

My final solution was to use a open face helmet. I know it probably isn't as safe as the full face, but this works really well for me.

Eh? Does the lack of visor not mean the glasses are now proper wet????

seeyalater
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:07 - 14 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

love the look and benefits of open face, but i imagine freezing and not as safe and as said above, wet glasses?

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:55 - 14 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should think he's bought an open face helmet with a visor. The points he (sapstar) mentions are good ones.

chris_hu_cheng
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 21:40 - 14 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

sapstar wrote:

YEEEESSSSSSSS!!!!

I have found the same solution for exactly the same reasons. Pinlock can
go spin Middle Finger imho the only times the extra reflections don't bother me are the same times when nothing would fog without it anyway.

Got an open face helmet been using for a while in all conditions and problem solved. I have a clip on bubble visor or googles for options, had to try a number of helmets and googles before I found ones that were just right with the helmet and my glasses.

Don't know if deliberate and don't give a shit about anyone who doesn't like the look but the shape of the bubble visor means (with my nose anyway) it mists right at the bottom where I don't look and no where else, the extra air flow that comes in from the sides seems to stop any glasses misting.

The extra vision is staggering, filtering in city is soooo much nicer when having to keep track of cyclists and other two wheelers.

Tried early morning, late evening, in rain, drizzle, mizzle and fog so far. All good to date.

Worth mentioning:
Obviously more noise I always wear ear plugs with it.

Not for high speed, the helmet and bubble visor works well up to about 70mph for me but starts feeling decidedly un-aero dynamic after that. Goggles are a bit less comfortable and slightly more faff but good for mid 80s speed wise, that is more than fine in poor conditions though.

Colder but I am not bothered, I have a neck tube I can pull up over my mouth if needed.

And it must be said children that open face visors are not as safe.

Last huge bonus, once I got the knack, I take off and put on the helmet without removing my glasses.

Waiting for a justified ancient to pass by and tell me I am WRONG now and actually I can't see shit, and will be dead before January is out Rolling Eyes

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:05 - 15 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Pinlock on all lids all year round. Brilliant. But fogged glasses still an issue on full faced lids sometimes.

I use a MX lid when on XR and don't have that issue.
The massive chin gap I guess provides similar benefits to open face, lots of air flow (some space for my heavy breathing to go). Weirdly, rain doesn't seem to be an issue either.

In fact, rode home tonight in the sheeting rain for 30 mins. No rain got inside. I had lid open a good 2 inches at some points due to visor issues with headlights.
A cardinal sin normally. Soaks glasses. Except nothing. barely a spec.

Yet I open my visor 1mm on full face, and rain drops get over glasses and inside visor.

Just an observation, that sometimes things that should obviously not work, sometimes do....and vice versa. Must be something to do with aero of MX lid and speed probably.
Or I'm a descendant of Moses.

chris_hu_cheng
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 18:30 - 15 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pigeon wrote:

I use a MX lid when on XR and don't have that issue.
The massive chin gap I guess provides similar benefits to open face, lots of air flow (some space for my heavy breathing to go). Weirdly, rain doesn't seem to be an issue either.

weird stuff happens, the visor on my open face helmet leaves quite a gap at the side, and I have an optional extra attachment to allow it to flip which makes the gap even bigger and adds a fair gap at the top, rain does not seem to get in even on windy days, I have had a couple of drips when sitting at long traffic lights but cleared out when I got moving.

Once when driving an MX5 on the motorway with the roof down, and it start raining heavily, thought I was in for a soaking but not a drop, didn't start getting any rain inside until later when I pulled off the motorway and speed dropped below 60 or so. I guess sometimes airflow just pushes the water away, probably one of life's little compensations for all the times water manages to unexpectedly find its way through and pool in your boots or crotch of jeans (despite water proofs).

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 10:47 - 14 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I discovered recently that Arai make a dual pane visor for racing in the rain. Apparently you can leave it closed all day and it won't steam up. It's not certified for road use, presumably because a stone would come through it. It's made of soft stuff which is v easy to scratch. You can't wipe it with gloves or toilet paper. It costs a lot and not many places sell it. But thevisorshop.com has a lightly tinted SAI version for 50 quid, which is a big discount, so I'm going to try it.

https://www.thevisorshop.com/en/Arai-I-Type-Factory-Race-Visor/m-22910.aspx

I think the Arai part number is 55011122. https://www.whyarai.co.uk/media/arai/partsbook-87-16.pdf

Boxing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:31 - 31 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnnythefox wrote:

next year i am going to look at having laser eye treatment.

Your vision eventually deteriorates again and is worse than before laser treatment. I know a couple of people that have had laser eye treatment, and eventually gone back to nearsightedness.

As for OP, you eventually get used to it. Just keep the visor cracked open a little.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 362 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2