BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Real Coffee

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:41 - 12 Dec 2019    Post subject: Real Coffee Reply with quote

I know almost nothing about double expresso lattés and such as I never been in a serious coffee shop, but have been given a stove top percolator and bean grinder.
So which whole beans would be good to try first.
Have been told medium roast but didn't realise there are so many to choose from.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:22 - 12 Dec 2019    Post subject: Re: Real Coffee Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
I never been in a serious coffee shop, but have been given a stove top percolator and bean grinder. So which whole beans would be good to try first

You are about to enter snobbery, myth and pooh-poohing territory.

So dischuff the lot o' them and spend £3.78 in Aldi or Lidl on 200g each of "Columbian" & "Italian blend" beans (giving you 400g) and start like that.

Get to know your grinder & stovetop (what is it, for interest?).

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:36 - 12 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a Bialetti you just need bog standard espresso coffee.
You need a dark roast really but experiment with different brands til you find one you like cos dark roasts can sometimes be too bitter and even adding more sugar doesn't improve it.

Also you often have to grind it very fine for those type of machines.
Might be better at this stage to save the bean grinder til you're used to using the coffee percolator and just buy pre ground stuff.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:01 - 12 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's similar to this, nothing special.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07FYDHTGG/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:20 - 12 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:

GOOD! Except that they have misnamed the thing, it's not a percolator, it's a moka pot or stovetop espresso maker.

Your pot boils water in the bottom, the steam forcing it up through a funnel filled with coffee into the top section, where it stays, and the job is done.

Note: Don't let it boil dry, or the bottom may drop out. You can hear it when it boils dry, it goes all quiet.

Note: It;'s fascinating to see and smell the coffee when the water first starts to come through.

Note: Make sure the rubber seal is good, and done up tight enough but not too tight, or it will leak.

Note: Don't damage the mating surfaces or they may leak.

Note: When full, the thing is rather top-heavy.

Note: Dry the bottom most carefully after use. I keep my bottom in a warm place (!).

It may be "nothing special", but I bet it will make better coffee than many other systems.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:33 - 12 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate everything about coffee. The smell, the taste and the culture.

I think you should get some of that stuff that's been up a cats arse. It can't make it smell or taste any worse. Let us know how it was.

EDIT: Kopi luwak

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:51 - 12 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I hate everything about coffee. The smell, the taste and the culture.

I feel the same about the ludicrous nouveau Gin affectation, but mainly the 'culture' - fucking Goldfish bowl glasses, rose petals sprinkled on top, outrageously priced 'Fevertree' fizzy sugar water 'flavoured' Gins etc..

Gin is already just flavoured vodka (more or less) so wtf!?

I can just about abide a Gordons and Schweppes in a tumbler but these latest fads can cost 7 or 8 quid - for a single measure with cunty Fevertree. NO NO NO Evil or Very Mad !!

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:07 - 12 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just checked my jar of dirt cheap Tesco instant. It's real. I'm not imagining it.

I might be imagining it tastes like coffee though Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:16 - 12 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I were a lad, coffee came as a black gooey liquid in bottles
with a pic of a bloke in a kilt on it.
Never did us any harm, mind you I did and still do prefer a mug
of good strong char anyday.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:44 - 12 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
When I were a lad, coffee came as a black gooey liquid in bottles with a pic of a bloke in a kilt on it

What, like the bottle in my 'fridge? :

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/254889872

That's in a plastic "easy-pour" bottle but you can I think still get glass ones.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:40 - 12 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloody coffee ponces!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:55 - 12 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:

Those are the best.
I have several Cool
Reijufixing speaks many truths.
Even after more than 30 years I still like to leave the lid up and watch the coffee sputtering through.
Also, you can put them on a gas cooker but keep the flame LOW and possibly you might need to set it onto a trivet.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:02 - 12 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The coffees that Lidl sell are really nice and don't cost a fortune either.

One of my friends brought some Luwak (civet cat coffee) when she visited (she has relatives in Malaysia) - it was nice but not worth the money. The best coffee I've ever tasted were some blue mountain beans a friend brought back from Jamaica after a holiday.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:13 - 12 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favourite type of coffee is Costa Rican, or at the very least something central-American, it seems to have a "sweeter" taste from that region.

But the coffee club I'm a member of, has some fancy schmancy thing about imagining that they can smell fancy flavours, as if they were wine buffs or something...their PR department must wank themselves to death writing the cards that accompany each different variety.

Rolling Eyes

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:53 - 12 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
When I were a lad, coffee came as a black gooey liquid in bottles
with a pic of a bloke in a kilt on it.
Never did us any harm, mind you I did and still do prefer a mug
of good strong char anyday.

Camp coffee? Mostly chicory and utterly vile. No wonder you don't like the stuff. Laughing

I agree about the tea though Very Happy

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:24 - 13 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top tip, you put boiling water in the bottom. Not cold otherwise by the time the water boiled you'll have burnt the coffee grounds and the result will be an acrid coffeeesque liquid fit for nowt

Took a couple goes before I got the hang of it, I ended up watching a video on YouTube after have a few cups that tasted like shit

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:25 - 13 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it fill my flask for work each morning or would I be waiting hours?

Fun fact: You can make coffee from dandelion roots.

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:40 - 13 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always been a tea person, but I do enjoy coffee (I just never buy it when out and about, the price doesn't correlate to the value)
Someone gifted me a Delonghi bean-to-cup machine, so I've started using that a fair bit - I get beans from Amazon, 2kg for under a tenner (quite often on offer for £6.50 Thumbs Up ), to me [with my coffee-philistine tastes] it's as good as any stuff you'd get in a coffee-shop.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07CGXZMT3

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:06 - 13 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

goto10 wrote:
I've always been a tea person, but I do enjoy coffee (I just never buy it when out and about, the price doesn't correlate to the value)
Someone gifted me a Delonghi bean-to-cup machine, so I've started using that a fair bit - I get beans from Amazon, 2kg for under a tenner (quite often on offer for £6.50 Thumbs Up ), to me [with my coffee-philistine tastes] it's as good as any stuff you'd get in a coffee-shop.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07CGXZMT3

That's the kind of advice I wanted, will probably try them rather than risk a more *acquired* taste

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:07 - 13 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

goto10 wrote:
I get beans from Amazon

Have you (or anyone else) found beans that aren't overly large? Some that I buy don't fit easily through my "E. Pugh & Co" grinder, which is frustrating. I suppose new farming methods/varieties make bigger beans.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:13 - 13 Dec 2019    Post subject: Re: Real Coffee Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
I know almost nothing about double expresso lattés and such as I never been in a serious coffee shop, but have been given a stove top percolator and bean grinder.
So which whole beans would be good to try first.
Have been told medium roast but didn't realise there are so many to choose from.

Don't listen to the idiots on here that just do not appreciate coffee.
Go to www.hasbean.com
Everything there.
He buys beans from the farms he visits.
Great description on all the coffees they sell.

Order.
It's roasted and posted same day or next day.
You will notice 'fresh' bean, fresh roast, fresh grind and fresh brew.
The cunts on here talking coffee down probably have not experienced fresh fresh fresh coffee. 🙄

Expect more than £6 for 250 g but there are many folk paying that for two cups of dishwater from Kosta.

I like American beans rather than Asian or African. Soil has a big effect on flavours.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:17 - 13 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Washed Organic
White sugar, grapefruit, lime zest, gooseberry, blackcurrant

Laughing
Not going there.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:27 - 13 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
Quote:
Washed Organic
White sugar, grapefruit, lime zest, gooseberry, blackcurrant

Laughing
Not going there.

Phuquing Filistyne. 🙄

🤣

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:53 - 13 Dec 2019    Post subject: Re: Real Coffee Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

The cunts on here talking coffee down probably have not experienced fresh fresh fresh coffee.

Have you gone soft, Mr. 'ard jock bastid? Razz
I'm beginning to see who won't survive an existential threat to mankind - "oooh no, the coffee's nasty, what will I do?! Crying or Very sad " Laughing

Bloody bunch of pampered women Rolling Eyes
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 127 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1