Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

SEAT looking at entering electric scooter market

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:52 - 21 Nov 2019    Post subject: SEAT looking at entering electric scooter market Reply with quote

71 mile range, top speed of 62mph. Doubt it'd be both at the same time, but could be a viable commuter depending on the price.

https://images.cdn.circlesix.co/image/1/1366/0/uploads/posts/2019/11/1c99a20cafca0071369a1711d92d0f29.jpg

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/seat-wants-to-cut-your-commute-with-a-177lb-ft-electric-scooter/
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:00 - 21 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does make sense for car manufactures jump on the EV hype train, as the most expensive part of every ICE, speaking of R&D is the combustion engine.

71 miles is more than enough for a city commuter, even if realistic figure is going to be closer to 50 miles, still plenty of range.

I do like the BMW e-scooter concept. EV scooters just make sense. Twist and go, no need to hear buzzing engine while doing that.

https://cdn.bmwblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/BMW-C-Evolution-Scooter-11kw-8-750x500.jpg

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:26 - 28 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I presume with these electric scooters the battery(s) can be removed for charging or do they have the same connectors as a car?

I wonder how long it will be before workplaces ban their workers from bringing in their batteries for recharging. Every socket taken up with a phone charger or scooter battery. Laughing

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:18 - 28 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how environmentally friendly they are to manufacture?
All those chemicals in the batteries?
All those rare metals in the electrics have to be mined from somewhere.

What’s the life of the batteries, how often do they need to be replaced and at what cost?

Where does the power come from to charge them...... the mains...... does that mean we’ll need to build more power stations once we’re all driving/riding EV’s.

Fugk that ! I like my petrol engined bike.
It’s not like motorbikes are a major source of pollution, after all 99% of our bikes have smaller engines than most cars and there are a lot less bikes around .
AldridgePrior This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:12 - 29 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:

I read somewhere that EV cars have a higher initial carbon footprint, but then lower overall. Theres been cases though of Tesla's that have crashed catching fire days later as each cell gives up Laughing

What interests me is how they expect to get stuff like Cobalt. Apparently they want to destroy the sea beds for it now
https://www.mining.com/deepgreen-closer-mining-battery-metals-sea-150m-injection/

RAYK47
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 08:29 - 29 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes a lot of sense for a commuter bike. My bike is a plaything so must have an ICE.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:48 - 29 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno bout a leccy bike but the seat on the Seat looks wonderful for my old wrinkly backside!

wintelf94
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:40 - 31 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayrton wrote:
pepperami wrote:

I read somewhere that EV cars have a higher initial carbon footprint, but then lower overall. Theres been cases though of Tesla's that have crashed catching fire days later as each cell gives up Laughing

What interests me is how they expect to get stuff like Cobalt. Apparently they want to destroy the sea beds for it now
https://www.mining.com/deepgreen-closer-mining-battery-metals-sea-150m-injection/

Rather complicated, but let us adopt a wait and see how this rolls out. Neutral

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:17 - 01 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAYK47 wrote:
Makes a lot of sense for a commuter bike. My bike is a plaything so must have an ICE.

Until petrol stations are no longer financially sustainable ..

There are is ever increasing amount electricity that is coming from renewable sources, hence overall reduced carbon emissions. No, battery power is not 100% efficient, having said that, petrol engines are at best only around 30% efficeint, and diesel, about 50% efficient, alot of the energy being wasted as heat, whereas a battery powered engine has an efficiency of around 70%, or, taking into account, electricity generation etc, around 60%

Also, there is appreciably less localised polution from electric powered vehicles, now, if only we can change either road surface and/or tyre design to reduce the nano particles produced by there use, along, with finind ways to reduce brake dust as well ..

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:15 - 02 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where on Earth are you getting a loss of 10% when including electricity generation? The only one I see that's close is Hydro. This following list might shock you.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49314044728_93a711ecc5.jpglosses by Craig David, on Flickr

Source:

https://mpoweruk.com/energy_efficiency.htm

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:37 - 02 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand that list.

I presume they have some fancy way of working out the efficiency from the potential of the input fuel to the output electricity but it doesn't make sense looking at that list.

Coal fired more efficient than oil fired, no way. Even using pulverised coal as a fluid in a fluidic bed oil is a better medium allowing more efficient boiler design.

Geothermal? Free fuel so it's only drop in efficiency is across the electrical generation side as is wind turbine.

Even using the calculation the way they say in the article doesn't seem to work.

Weird.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:23 - 02 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it needs some context.

I would imagine if you used 100 units of engergy to pump water into a large scale hydroelectric damn you would loose 10 units getting the energy back out.

For the potential energy stored in petrol and how much you can realise from an ICE the numbers look good.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 87 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1