Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

A nice story for once

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:58 - 02 Jan 2020    Post subject: A nice story for once Reply with quote

Experts hail success for England’s only wild beavers

No, not mad women, the furry animals. Laughing

I like stories like this. It says they are reducing floods risk and creating new wildlife areas. Nature can look after itself when we don't interfere too much.

I see the farmers aren't so keen but that's nothing new.

https://home.bt.com/news/uk-news/experts-hail-success-for-englands-only-wild-beavers-11364422168211

WreckTangle
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:45 - 02 Jan 2020    Post subject: Re: A nice story for once Reply with quote

Looks cute, I know they have been trying for years to get these things to come back in to our environment , maybe the damming will help with all the floods that we get?

..........but does that mean that the farmers are racist?

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:30 - 02 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loves a good beaver me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:48 - 02 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fisty wrote:
I loves a good beaver me.

Can be a bit of a fucker to shave one.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:50 - 02 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first thought...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvWfbIe4X_4

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:07 - 02 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:

You Sir, are a true pervert. I doff my hat Thumbs Up

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:25 - 02 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

They planted a load of beavers somewhere secret in Scotland a few years ago. They apparently are doing well but other landowners bleating about the damage they cause.
If you want to live in a wilderness you must live with a wilderness.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/environment/2019/may/01/historic-day-for-scotland-as-beavers-get-protected-status

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:33 - 02 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Scotland should be a special case; give em wolves, mountain lions, the lot. We could rebuild Hadrian's Wall so they don't become a nuisance in England Thumbs Up
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:01 - 02 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
I think Scotland should be a special case; give em wolves, mountain lions, the lot. We could rebuild Hadrian's Wall so they don't become a nuisance in England Thumbs Up

Geographies would change.

Lots of Englanders I know would welcome a wall but they'd like it placed just south of Manc.

We'd post guards on it as borders folk have a pikey habit of pilfering the masonry to build their Towers and Keeps.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:27 - 02 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

Geographies would change.

Lots of Englanders I know would welcome a wall but they'd like it placed just south of Manc.

We'd post guards on it as borders folk have a pikey habit of pilfering the masonry to build their Towers and Keeps.

Eh?

You failed to mention what any of that has to do with reintroducing wildlife.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:34 - 03 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've said it before - a wall just north of Teesside.

Always good to read about the success of re-introductions. I just hope that it doesn't become a hunters trophy to bag one.
Similar successes include the red kites in the North East - they've done very well.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:07 - 03 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:

Always good to read about the success of re-introductions. I just hope that it doesn't become a hunters trophy to bag one.
Similar successes include the red kites in the North East - they've done very well.

We have stacks of them around MK because there is a wildlife hospital and Red Kite breeding centre just outside town. Amazing birds.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:21 - 03 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Diggs wrote:

You Sir, are a true pervert. I doff my hat Thumbs Up

Thank you kind sir. There are very few situations that cannot be improved with a Leslie Nielsen pun...

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:42 - 03 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Sister Sledge wrote:

We have stacks of them around MK because there is a wildlife hospital and Red Kite breeding centre just outside town. Amazing birds.

There's a pair that often circle the house. I have to remind the dog to not sit still too long Smile
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:43 - 03 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love birds of prey, and Red Kites have certainly been a success story since the efforts to restore populations, but I do wonder if there comes a point where it gets too successful. Riding around Oxfordshire, not all that far from another place with a breeding centre, I've had a close call with a pair that were reluctant to give up a roadkill when I came belting around the corner Shocked It was a rare day when I didn't see them when I lived down there.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:45 - 03 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
I love birds of prey, and Red Kites have certainly been a success story since the efforts to restore populations, but I do wonder if there comes a point where it gets too successful. Riding around Oxfordshire, not all that far from another place with a breeding centre, I've had a close call with a pair that were reluctant to give up a roadkill when I came belting around the corner Shocked It was a rare day when I didn't see them when I lived down there.

Are the reasons they disappear caused by modern agricultural and human habitat?

Wildlife seems to have dropped of the radar now that global warming or no global warming is/was the headline.

BoP are apex so any interruption in the food chain can affect their success.

Nature only works properly when balanced.
Man tries to redress the upset balance human behaviour causes and rarely gets it all perfect.

Sometimes nature can seem to have recovered but many things changed.

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:12 - 03 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:

Isn't that the whole point as well as annoying landowners.

It's all fun and games until someone has the bright idea to release wild boar and people end up getting gored.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:37 - 03 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Are the reasons they disappear caused by modern agricultural and human habitat?

Could have been because of their perceived threat to game birds - same w/ buzzards. But in both cases, they prefer carrion. When in short supply though they will take young pheasants, partridges, grouse, etc. - at least that's what the gamekeepers say. In any case, I think that's what did for kite years ago.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:29 - 03 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Roll on electric vehicles, they'll never hear you coming.

SPLATT!

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:33 - 03 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Roll on electric vehicles, they'll never hear you coming.

SPLATT!

One of the silly buggers didn't seem to want to give up on his find even as I was bearing down on them in plain sight. It tried to fly off with its prize, but was struggling to lift it, dropped it at the last moment, almost on me!

They're big ol' things. You wouldn't want to hit one at speed.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 115 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1