BCF: Bike Chat Forums

DSLR Cameras

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 16:42 - 17 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave up photography because I was frustrated with my results. I thought buying the £5k lens would solve that but the fact is I'm a frustrated artist. I don't like my own photo's like we all don't like the sound of our own voice. Apparently this is quite common in artists & it's what drives the true genius's to create perfection in art.

You lot are discussing having the best kit like having the best kit makes for a better photo. Does it fuck, if that were the case then we throw away all those old classic pictures that inspire us.

It really does not matter what you take the photo with.

seeyalater
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:12 - 30 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can do well with a good bridge camera but if you have space to carry a dslr then there great for being creative and adding other kit to it.
Ive been a photographer for 10 years and always used canon. currently use a 5dmk4 but you can do well with most basic kits if its for personal use.
theres a website called mpb photographic.com which sells second hand kit with some warranty.
this is a good starter camera https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equipment/used-photo-and-video/used-digital-slr-cameras/used-canon-digital-slr-cameras/canon-eos-1200d/sku-884905/

and with this lense https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equipment/used-photo-and-video/used-lenses/used-canon-fit-lenses/canon-ef-s-18-55mm-f-3-5-5-6-is-stm/sku-896847/

But you can get good kits on fleabay. Most starter dslrs are good for learning. I teach where i live and ive been surprised how good entry level cameras are now, nikons seem popular and easy to use too. youtube will teach you alot though.

the kit you buy will depend on the subject you photograph. I never bought huge zooms as never need them, sports guys use them mostly. (no money in nature unless lucky)

Compacts are limited but some do come with creative controls so you can change the depth of field (aperture)

any help just ask

bladerunner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:09 - 06 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

canon crop frame body like the 700d and newer will do a good job, have a wide range of lenses and be cheap and easy to pick up used. kit lenses like the 18-55 and 75-300 are to be avoided if you like your images consistent and sharp.

mirrorless like the sony 6500 are compact and do the job well but lenses are more £££ and less on the market but they are making up for this fast.

I use canon a canon 5d4 full frame dslr as I do a lot of wedding and portrait studio work but my main camera I use for my own photography is the one on my phone! I hardly ever bother lugging about a full frame dslr and its lens and lighting kit. just the camera kit I use a hard shell roller case for as it takes up so much space. it also weighs the best part of a stone with the 70-200,flash and battery packs so is not the sort of thing you carry about on a trip out with the fam

the super compact zooms like the panasonic fz1000 offer silly amounts of zoom in a light camera format that makes it fun and enjoyable to use with pretty good image quality to boot!

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:24 - 06 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

bladerunner wrote:
fz1000 offer silly amounts of zoom

I can confirm that the FZS1000 offers plenty of zoom! Mr. Green
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:26 - 06 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with those who say you don't need high end kit to get good shots. I've got quite a few half decent phone-taken ones that please me and get get plenty of appreciative comments (some are elsewhere on this forum).

That said, having a good bridge or interchangable lens camera just gives you more opportunities. It's really hard getting good wildlife shots for example without the longer reach s zoom lens offers.

I've settled on the micro four thirds format for my next purchase - probably a Panasonic G9 or Olympus Em5iii with a couple of lenses simply for the flexibility and portability it offers with its comparitively smaller lenses. There's no way I'd end up lugging a full frame dslr with its huge lenses around when I'm away on the bike, whereas the m43 will fit much easier. I'm not shooting in really low light, wedding portraits with really shallow depth of field or huge landscape prints so for me M43 is more than adequate. Both of the cameras above are plenty quick enough with decent enough autofocus, etc. For the needs of most.

seeyalater
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:00 - 07 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah kit lenses with big zooms are shocking, one of the 18-55 is ok think its a later model but still far from a L lense but only pros or the wealthy buy them.

Have fun with the new camera, and don't forget to post some pics here. Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 111 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3