Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Competition time..

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:35 - 08 Jan 2020    Post subject: Competition time.. Reply with quote

OK you might remember last year I won a national metalworking competition with an art project I did. Well, the same company is about to start another competition.
Metal Supermarkets run it and this is a link to the competition. It starts January 13th 2020.
(It's run across 3 countries so be sure to enter the correct one)

https://metalmyway.com/

Details are vague but they do state on FaceBook that a plasma cutter can be had - that's what I had won.

I'm not paid to promote this but do know that many here mess with bikes and sometimes do fabrication. It costs nothing to enter. The entry form is not open just yet but all they'll ask for is a maximum of 3 photos (some can be during the build) and a few sentences.
I'm not entering this particular competition so you'll have a better chance of winning Wink

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:45 - 08 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a lost-wax cast bunny suicide pendant for Mrs stinkwheels christmas. Probably more jewelry than metalwork though.
https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=103035

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:13 - 08 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for that, I've passed it on to a mate of mine that produces the most amazing sculptures from rebar. I happen to know he's hankering after a plasma cutter Very Happy

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:56 - 08 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers! I'll have a perusal of the requirements. Thumbs Up

If I find myself with a bit of time on my hands and the garage isn't around freezing point I might have a try with something.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:46 - 09 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew for a fact I wasn't alone. My stuff recently has used next to no new actual stock metal - all has been recycled materials. Obviously when they ask which store you bought it from I couldn't tell them the horse shoes came from a branch!

With the casting just write down the metal was new and bought from 'X' store. An offcut from something bigger. You don't need proof of purchase of metals.

This will help you massively:
It's a corporation. They operate in Canada, North America and Europe.
Corporations love to hear buzz words that they can use when bragging. You need to include some good corporate wording. With mine I promoted the need to recycle more these days and how I included new stock from one of their stores with recycled materials.
I also mentioned how 'X' store has friendly staff who were most helpful. If they couldn't supply what I needed they suggested some very good alternatives. That's the type of thing they want to hear. Don't use the exact wording!!!

Last thing: Metal Supermarkets have just opened a new store in Manchester. They will be itching to promote it and I suspect the British winner will be a user of the new store. Anyone mentioning using it for materials will likely be pushed to the top of a list. Just saying.
If you're not close to the new Manchester store you could erm.. exaggerate and mention you were in Manchester on business and spotted the store and that you had a look in and bought your metal for the project there.

Be awesome if someone we know won this year too.

I know Easy-X likes to see what I'm up to.
I made and sold 48 of these f*ckers in the lead up to Xmas. They're that because I'm sick of the sight of them! I could have sold another 50 but had to cancel the requests. All sold via one friend who has a horse and knows horse people..
All recycled horse shoes. A 3 layer lacquer system over cleaned, sanded and wire wheel polished horse shoes. With each order I can include 'memory' shoes - shoes where an owners horse died and they kept the last shoes. I can build items like that into stuff - any kind of stuff. Yes each tree was bespoke to a customers request. It's not my design this but people wanted it so I made it!
This year I will be starting these trees in June to ensure orders can be met.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49355349622_64f37b98c5_b.jpgAnother Linky Piece by Craig David, on Flickr

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 09:50 - 09 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would horseshoes take on a temper colour if you heat treated them?

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:53 - 09 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to add: This is what those trees look like when decorated:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49354733673_cdcfd1d2c3_b.jpgTo a link too by Craig David, on Flickr

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:55 - 09 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Would horseshoes take on a temper colour if you heat treated them?

Yes. The metal content varies with some actually having a slight mix of chrome in them - keeps shoes shiner for posing I guess?
Some trees were welded dirty and then cleaned and some were welded clean. The clean shoes took on all of the colours you see with hot exhausts and other heating. Blue, brown etc.
I think to get a good effect though you'd need oxy acetylene to control it better?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:28 - 09 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:

I think to get a good effect though you'd need oxy acetylene to control it better?

How much of an excuse do you need to play with oxyacetylene?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 13:52 - 09 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I made a lost-wax cast bunny suicide pendant for Mrs stinkwheels christmas. Probably more jewelry than metalwork though.
https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=103035

What crime has it committed?

(It has an hangman noose round its neak.)

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:19 - 09 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

It's a 3D representation of one of Andy Rileys cartoon "bunny suicides".

https://www.theguardian.com/books/gallery/2007/oct/18/bunny.suicides

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:43 - 09 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

It's a 3D representation of one of Andy Rileys cartoon "bunny suicides".

https://www.theguardian.com/books/gallery/2007/oct/18/bunny.suicides

Ah yes, we have to book at home.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:36 - 13 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a reminder: The competition is now open and taking entries.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 96 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1