Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Security Device Recommendations

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:51 - 11 Jan 2020    Post subject: Security Device Recommendations Reply with quote

As a new biker what should I get to safeguard my new toy.
Ideally I'd like a 20mm diameter spike that is fired into the ground wherever I stop with a bloody great chain on it...alas not gonna happen so what do youz peeps suggest?

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:18 - 11 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

A million questions because post has not enough detail: are you using the bike for commuting or just social rides?

For the front based on this bike I'd say either an open shackle padlock for the front disc or a d-lock to go through the spokes / gap in the brake disc.

You could then chain the frame to something up front or the front wheel to the frame just to be extra annoying with something like a short 13 mm.

For the rear, and since its a 125, I'd probably go with a 1.5 - 2.0 m 13 mm chain for out and about. Trying to lug a 16 mm about on that would get you nowhere quick.

For at home I'd go for a 16 mm on the rear through the spokes in the wheel and over the tyre to loop around a ground anchor or suck like. A 2.0 m should be more than sufficient, but since these things are costly you could use that 13 mm as a gauge to decide if you need a 1.5 mm etc. I'd probably just get a 13 mm first in a 1.5 or 2.0 m length to get you started, but be aware it can be bolt cropped by hand unlike the 16 mm (which can't, but can be cut by a portable angle grinder).

You may be able to get something like an R21 roundlock on the rear sprocket -- again using the above bike as an example -- since the holes in the rear sprocket look quite large.

All the products I mention are available here (Pragmasis): https://securityforbikes.com/

Best avoid the things shops like J&S sell. Abus might be ok, but I've not really looked at them. Most are the reason many bikes go missing. Not that things with Pragmasis don't, but I'd splash out to start with to make sure it stays yours.

Don't go with anything that has chain links smaller than 13 mm, and 16 mm is considered the basis of the "heavy duty" security. 19 mm is a step up, and the recent selling of 22 mm the most extreme. The higher you go the more time your buying yourself against attacks, but the 19 mm and 22 mm are for nothing but at home due to their weight, and even then they have to be used correctly to be effective -- and that comes in time with knowing how best to lock it up for your set up etc.

Budget will be your biggest factor. But if you're tight on money I'd get that 13 mm chain first, and then at least a disc lock.

Keep in mind that the front of a motorbike can simply be lifted so, despite what you may think, padlocks etc are more effective on the rear sprocket -- or one on both since their very light.

To carry your items you may want to get a backpack, but based on the chance of falling I wouldn't do it. Kriega do luggage drybags: their expensive but a good piece of kit with a 10 year warrenty. US20 is a decent size, or a US10 if you're not going to be using much. I recommend the kriega bags because they can withstand some abuse in load where other tailbags have failed over time. Don't bother with a US5 because too small, or a US30 because would be too big for your bike and what you wish to carry to start out with.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:33 - 11 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

A dog. It doesn't matter how big so long as it wakes you up when anyone goes onto your property..

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:34 - 11 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing to remember is that no security is impervious to the dedicated thief. The best you can manage is to lay as many hassles in their path that they are discouraged and move on to something easier.

Disk locks, chains, alarms, trackers... you need a package, a body of work that says "yes, by all means try and steal this bike but it'll take you 5 mins longer than the one up the street."

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:46 - 12 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
A dog. It doesn't matter how big so long as it wakes you up when anyone goes onto your property..

This is so true , I had a little Westie , God bless her.
She wasn’t a big barker, but she’d do enough to let me know strangers were around.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:12 - 12 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't leave it in one place regularly unless it's a secure place.

If it's an expensive bike don't use it to commute. Buy a reliable shitter for that, something no one would really want.

For anything though, chain, disk lock. If you can, chain it to something.

As others have said, if they really want it, they will get it. We have all seen videos of scrotes angle grinding a chain in broad daylight and making off with a bike. Then you have the 'men in van' lifting it in and away in seconds.

My expensive bike never gets left anywhere for any real length of time (except in a very secure garage) but it is purely a toy. I have a fazer hack for anything else that cost pennies and if it was nicked I'd say 'Shit' and carry on.

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 09:25 - 12 Jan 2020    Post subject: Re: Security Device Recommendations Reply with quote

GettinBetter wrote:
As a new biker what should I get to safeguard my new toy.
Ideally I'd like a 20mm diameter spike that is fired into the ground wherever I stop with a bloody great chain on it...alas not gonna happen so what do youz peeps suggest?

As a noob you should invest a fortune in security and resolve to never claim. It'll save you money and tears in the long run. I have an alarm, a tracker, a sold secure gold lock and chain and a cover. Total cost about £1750 plus a tracker fee of £120 per year or something. Mate of mine has a tracker on his Blade, which has been stolen and recovered 4 times. Just as well it comes back, cos he can only get third party insurance. I also have TPO cover, which cuts my premium by £800.

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 13:57 - 12 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have some idea how much these big (16mm) chains weigh, and where would/do you carry them.

Do youz have one for home and one to take with you?

I just trying to work out how to carry it, it won't go in my panniers....

seeyalater
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:45 - 12 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

GettinBetter wrote:
Does anyone have some idea how much these big (16mm) chains weigh, and where would/do you carry them.

i took a chain in a back pack to the gym 15 miles away, and hated the weight in there. ive no topbox etc. plus heavy lock. i leave it at the gym now so its there when i go on the bike
I also have a disc lock which fits under my seat, ideal for visits to busy places you cant see the bike, comes with bright yellow cord to fasten from lock to handle bars, visual and a reminder to remove lock, these also come with alarms on (mine doesnt but was a gift and they thought it did) about £45 from halfords. lifetime warranty, some on ebay etc are cheap crap.

lastly my mate used to have his chain over his shoulder in a strap style but id not want that round my neck if come off

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:08 - 12 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

GettinBetter wrote:

Kriega US-20.

These are the clips it comes with. The left hand ones go on the bike, and stay there: they locate under the seat and are tied to various points of the bikes frame. The clips on the R/H side connect to the top of the bag and the metal part hooks into the part of the L/H ones that stick out from under the rear seat, and then you just pull on them to tension them.

A 16 mm 2.0 meter chain weighs about 9 kg without padlock, and perhaps 0.50 - 1.00 kg more with padlock (depending on what one you buy). A 16 mm 1.5 meter weights about 6.5 - 7.0 kg (somewhere in the middle IIRC) on its own.

In terms of carrying it around on a 125 I wouldn't. a 13 mm was heavy enough for the slow 125 I had, and anything more would have upset the balance way too much. Your limitation here is not what to carry it, but what your using to carry it on: a 125 simply wouldn't handle the weight on a regular basis.

Even riders on here with bigger bikes wouldn't, and don't, carry their 16 mm chains around with them because of the weight. I've done it for a long time, but even I'm downsizing to reduce weight as its far too easy for me to think theirs something wrong with the bike when in reality its often the weight of the bag combined with bad roads (longer stopping distance, sometimes tougher gear changes etc).

GettinBetter wrote:
panniers

Weight is best set centrally on a motorbike. Panniers are perfect, but unless balanced equally would probably cause problems in cornering. A top box is quick and dry, but it depends how far over the rear wheel the topbox is when it comes to handling issues; and that's not to mention the limitation in weight that the arms of the topbox have (of which a 16 mm would easily be too heavy).

Always aim for a bag that goes onto the rear passenger seat for heavy loads, and that's why I recommend Kriega (proven, dry, and can transport heavy loads). You could look at Oxford but do not put a 16 mm in one of their tail bags unless you want it to snap on you mid-way through a ride (quality of zips, straps etc are poor). I've never looked at any brands other than those two for tails bags so cannot comment further.

A 13 mm 1.5 meter chain should be ideal for what you need it for (or 2.0 meter depending on how far away the object is you'd be locking it to). If you can splash out then a 16 mm for at home also then do, but I wouldn't get caught up on getting one for the bike you have when a 13 mm could serve the purpose for at home and out and about.

Don't splash all your cash on just the chain, mind, because as above you'll want at least a disc lock too. I often go for a variation of types of locks just to make life difficult for t-leafs.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:26 - 12 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

GettinBetter wrote:

The almax on extended loan from Ste weighs more than my 3 year old.

When on the bike I tend to bungee it to the passanger handle really tightly with it resting on the seat.

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:39 - 12 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loop my chain around the luggage rack on the back of my bike. I also have an alarmed disk lock. And a D lock but I actually never bring that with me because I need a backpack to carry it.

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:17 - 12 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put a lightweight cover over the bike to cover up your security measures when out.

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 23:07 - 12 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool.

Excellent info.

Thanks guys, really appreciate your replies. Thumbs Up

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:20 - 13 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_group/oxford%20hardcore

Apparently learning how to securely apply the chain/lock making it more resistant to attack is a good idea. Looking at the evidence and logic indicates this is probably true.

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 03:12 - 13 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

This article is absolute gold, have a read https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/features/bikes/stolen-motorcycle-recovery-london-heroes-vigilantes-documentary

NakedBiker
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:40 - 13 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad I don't live where you lot do!

I don't bother with security and never have really. What you need depends entirely on where you live, where you leave it, what you ride etc

If you are just going out for sunday blasts in the daytime away from the big cities, stopping off at cafes etc then you won't need any security.

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 07:14 - 14 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

In London you have to worry about the bike being stolen while you're actually riding it - a scooter might block you in so the passenger can spray acid in your face.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 08:44 - 14 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

NakedBiker wrote:
Glad I don't live where you lot do!

Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 97 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1