Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

WD40 Bike stuff on motorbike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

sapstar
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 11:29 - 14 Jan 2020    Post subject: WD40 Bike stuff on motorbike Reply with quote

Hi guys, I managed to order some WD40 bike degreaser and bike lube for really cheap at eurocarparts. I am wondering if they work on motorcycles. Can someone please confirm? The degreaser can says it can be used on chains and gears.
https://wd40.co.uk/bike/degreaser/
https://www.wd40.com/products/wd-40-bike-all-conditions-lube/

I only lubed my chain once since I bought the motorcycle last month. I used WD40 Chain wax as recommended by the previous owner. He suggested I can use GT85 to clean the chain.

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 11:49 - 14 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot think of a single product this hedge funds marketing dept' can dream up & spin upon that cannot be achieved by far superior & infinetly cheaper items.

If you want to degrease your chain try parrafin, or any oil that is lighter than the grease you have on your chain. You can even soak a rag in your spare engine oil & utilise that.

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:53 - 14 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bike and motorbike chains are totally different, most motorbike chains are grease sealed with rubber on every link.

WD 40 do a cleaner/wax lube for motorbike chains.

At the end of the day do not use anything that will harm the rubber seals.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:54 - 14 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD40 stuff for push bikes will work on motorcycles, just not quite as well as stuff that's intended for motorcycles. Laughing

GT85 is not the chain cleaner you're looking for. Laughing

sapstar
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:29 - 14 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackButler wrote:
I cannot think of a single product this hedge funds marketing dept' can dream up & spin upon that cannot be achieved by far superior & infinetly cheaper items.

If you want to degrease your chain try parrafin, or any oil that is lighter than the grease you have on your chain. You can even soak a rag in your spare engine oil & utilise that.

Will try this...
https://www.diy.com/departments/bartoline-paraffin-4l/257116_BQ.prd

For lube, I already have WD40 Chain Wax this forms an ugly white layer on the chain. I also ordered a can on Mac-Off endurance lube.

Is there a cheaper alternative for the lube too?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:06 - 14 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackButler wrote:

It's a pattern that is oft repeated: get a name on a killer product, i.e. the original, bog-standard WD40 and then slap your brand name on all sorts of commonly available stuff.

T-Cut do a polish that's basically rebranded Autosol. K&N for no particular reason do oil filters...

Basically someone in the marketing department was told about horizontal vs vertical markets and went "fuck it! we can own the whole grid!"

TBH the only upside is it makes promoting products very easy for YouTubers: the shelf in the background having a unified product line, nice and tidy.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:50 - 14 Jan 2020    Post subject: Re: WD40 Bike stuff on motorbike Reply with quote

sapstar wrote:
Hi guys, I managed to order some WD40 bike degreaser and bike lube for really cheap at eurocarparts. I am wondering if they work on motorcycles. Can someone please confirm? The degreaser can says it can be used on chains and gears.
https://wd40.co.uk/bike/degreaser/
https://www.wd40.com/products/wd-40-bike-all-conditions-lube/

I only lubed my chain once since I bought the motorcycle last month. I used WD40 Chain wax as recommended by the previous owner. He suggested I can use GT85 to clean the chain.

i know shit about shit but i will tell you what i use to clean my chain and lubricate it -

some times i use diesel sprayed on with an old WD40 plastic spray bottle but more often this past year or more i've used normal wd40. i spin the back wheel and spray the WD on to the chain. I get some clean or semi clean rag or even some kitchen roll or blu roll, and I grasp the chain lightly and turn the wheel so that the excess comes off. I then squirt EP90 gear oil on. I do this after every ride. It takes 2-3 minutes, max.

I run several bikes but one i want to mention is a '97 cb500 w/ 50k miles on it - i've owned it for best part of 7 years. Bought w/ 8k on the clock. It is *still* running it's original rear sprocket. It is on its second chain and second front sprocket. One of my other bikes is a '99 zx9r - bought w/ 18k on clocks, now reading 60k. Has had chain and sprockets replaced once.

Important point - i don't ride in rain very often, but i do ride on wet roads. Rain and winter can easily fuck chain and sprockets and i think it's really important to clean them as often as possible if riding regularly in rain.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:46 - 14 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying very hard to get a bunch of well respected but retired chemist/scientists to look hard into motorcycle chain cleaning & lubrication.

The brick wall I hit basically boils down to the fact that at what they £charge for a can there's a frikkin lot of £money to be made & nobody wants to be the one that upsets the apple cart & bite the hand that once fed it.

If you buying ANY branded chain cleaning / waxing / greasing product then your naivety & ignorance is being exploited to the tune of many £££'s.

I always thought, & was led to believe, that chains must be cleaned because the lube attracts the dirt & that then becomes akin to a grinding paste. Imagine my surprise when I got some old chain lube analysed & sat down to study the results.

Nothing of any significant mass will stay on a chain at the G force it suffers at the gearbox sprocket, what's turned your lubricant black & what we all thought was grinding paste is nothing but the original lubricant contaminated by tyre sillicone & brake pad material.

Anything detrimental to your chain becomes that black mass collected near to your gearbox sprocket.

I can't get a respected chemist/scientist to confirm this & I'm just about as believable to you as 99.9% of the YooToob videos promoting whoever pays them the most £money, but as far as your modern chains go, all you needs to do is wipe off & wipe on, preferably with an oil that is designed to 'cling' under centrifugal force.

£10 to the first who can name that phenonema !

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:01 - 14 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

sapstar wrote:

I use 'chainsaw' oil. Have a think about it.

Can you imagine 'Jake & Chuck' paying $40 a can for some fancy brand name on their twice yearly visit to the store to stock up with supplies?

Their are many oils which include a synthetic chemical ingredient put there to give it a centripetal quality . . . Chainsaw oil is by far the £cheapest of them.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:07 - 14 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have thought the primary reason for oiling/waxing/treating your chain is repelling water, not lubrication Thinking

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:22 - 14 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
I'd have thought the primary reason for oiling/waxing/treating your chain is repelling water, not lubrication Thinking

In which case Sir, I have here for you today a bottle of the finest umbrication not yet known to man. Yes Sir, indeed. Dr. Jack Butler's 'Finest 100% Genuine Snake Oil Chain Lubricant'. Yes sir, indeed.

Sold in the markets of Paris, Rome & Peckham at a greatly exaggerated, astronomical & utterly unaffordable price to the general population, it is avaiable to you today for the bargain price of $14.99 a 5ml can.

Hurry now, hurry. At this price it is flying off the shelf & remember folks . . . You can't go home without one.

sapstar
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:59 - 14 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackButler wrote:
sapstar wrote:

I use 'chainsaw' oil. Have a think about it.

Can you imagine 'Jake & Chuck' paying $40 a can for some fancy brand name on their twice yearly visit to the store to stock up with supplies?

Their are many oils which include a synthetic chemical ingredient put there to give it a centripetal quality . . . Chainsaw oil is by far the £cheapest of them.

It's only £4 a litre at toolstation and will be great if I can use it for the chain.
Just trying to see if there are any negatives. Reading online some suggest that there may be solvents in chainsaw oil to dissolve stuck wood and saw dust which may not be good for motorcycle chains....

Also there are some recommendations to use 80w90 gear oil. I see this is available for around £5/litre on Ebay.

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 17:35 - 14 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
JackButler wrote:

It's a pattern that is oft repeated: get a name on a killer product, i.e. the original, bog-standard WD40 and then slap your brand name on all sorts of commonly available stuff.

T-Cut do a polish that's basically rebranded Autosol. K&N for no particular reason do oil filters...

Basically someone in the marketing department was told about horizontal vs vertical markets and went "fuck it! we can own the whole grid!"

TBH the only upside is it makes promoting products very easy for YouTubers: the shelf in the background having a unified product line, nice and tidy.

That explains why JCB now do electric drills then........I tried digging a ditch with one , it was shit.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:35 - 14 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackButler wrote:
Easy-X wrote:

In which case Sir, I have here for you today a bottle of the finest umbrication not yet known to man. Yes Sir, indeed. Dr. Jack Butler's 'Finest 100% Genuine Snake Oil Chain Lubricant'. Yes sir, indeed.

Sold in the markets of Paris, Rome & Peckham at a greatly exaggerated, astronomical & utterly unaffordable price to the general population, it is avaiable to you today for the bargain price of $14.99 a 5ml can.

Hurry now, hurry. At this price it is flying off the shelf & remember folks . . . You can't go home without one.

Okay, clever clogs, how do you stop a chain going rusty? Willpower?!

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:09 - 14 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

Okay, clever clogs, how do you stop a chain going rusty? Willpower?!

Willpower brand chainsaw oil. $14.95 a 40ml can at your nearest hardware store.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:22 - 15 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the Workshop section. Is it possible you could help me out?

It is my understanding that modern chains don't need the constant lubrication for movement like they used to and one would now mainly wish to keep moisture at bay to prevent corrosion. Is this not correct?

And as for branded stuff I suppose it works but you're paying for the name rather than the product. No-name alternatives to the overpriced shite would also be helpful Smile

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 07:16 - 15 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

It is my understanding that modern chains don't need the constant lubrication for movement like they used to and one would now mainly wish to keep moisture at bay to prevent corrosion. Is this not correct?

95% of the lubrication a modern chain needs is locked inside the 'O' or 'X' rings. It sill needs a little on the side plates & to help the rollers over the sprockets.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:50 - 15 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackButler wrote:

Even better - mix the two together (1 part engine NEW oil to 4-5 parts kerosene). Gets all the crap off and lubes the chain at the same time.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:18 - 15 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never had a problem with paraffin applied with a toothbrush, hose off residue then lube. Just remember to put some cardboard under the bike to catch the muck.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:15 - 15 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP, when using degreasers, you must be sure the product you chose is safe to use on your motorcycle.

I found out that the W5 chain cleaner from Lidl/Aldi is perfect for cleaning the chain, however it's way too aggressive on anything else. It eats away paint and plastic bits, plus it hardens some rubber bit as well. It also melts latex (disposable gloves).

I pretty much use brake cleaners these days, that are 99.9% safe. Even if not as effective as other products, the brake cleaners at least don't eat away nor swell the materials of your motorcycle.

Sure, you could fiddle around with paraffin and kerosene, I just can't bother. Ever since I got a steady job, I got lazy. Embarassed
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 102 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1