Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

FIXED - Bike dies on idle or closed throttle.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:29 - 13 Jan 2020    Post subject: FIXED - Bike dies on idle or closed throttle. Reply with quote

Bike is a Roadwin 250fi, essnetially a CBR250R single.

If you let it idle in neutral, it does after 3-4 seconds. If you roll off the throttle it will die when revs get lower, about where you would start to clutch in to come to stop. it's done it the odfd time or two in the last couple of days, but it was particularly horrific tonight in the lashing rain. It happens less when it's hot, but it was thrashed on the way home tonight, in a gear lower than usual, because it kept dying - It was certainly hot.

I'm inclined to think it's the TPS, possibly a bad or soaked connection to it, or it's on the way out. Before I go tearing into it, does anyone have any other ideas?

Last edited by ThatDippyTwat on 16:35 - 18 Jan 2020; edited 1 time in total

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:53 - 13 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a weakening mixture, what year mileage is the bike and when was the fuel injector last cleaned and checked?

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:49 - 14 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

2014, just over 8K, injector never checked as far as I know, but I've only had it for about 1K miles. Until it started doing this a couple of days ago, it was just fine.

I'll see if it's got an intake leak, that's easy enough to test without taking stuff apart.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:15 - 14 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just at a complete tangent: how's is the clutch? Could it be that, when warm, it's only say 95% disengaged and the slight drag is stalling the engine?

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:43 - 14 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Just at a complete tangent: how's is the clutch? Could it be that, when warm, it's only say 95% disengaged and the slight drag is stalling the engine?

Clutch is adjusted to have a few mm of free play then start to pull It's a cable lever. I'm picky as fuck about clutch play and bite postition.

I have air and oil filters now, so after measuring up to compare to UK stocks, I'll put them on and check out intake at the same time.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:39 - 18 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixed it .

Sprayed carb cleaner around the intake and no increase in revs. So I took the fairings off, which was a battle in and of itself, to look at the throttle body. There was a touch of slack in the throttle cable, so we adjusted that out, and it no longer dies on idle, or low throttle. The slack was really insignificant, but evidently enough that on the lower stop, it won't feed in enough fuel to idle. It still ticks over at about the same RPM, so we're calling it done unless it plays up again. We'll give it a run tomorrow to make sure.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:21 - 18 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
Fixed it .

Sprayed carb cleaner around the intake and no increase in revs. So I took the fairings off, which was a battle in and of itself, to look at the throttle body. There was a touch of slack in the throttle cable, so we adjusted that out, and it no longer dies on idle, or low throttle. The slack was really insignificant, but evidently enough that on the lower stop, it won't feed in enough fuel to idle. It still ticks over at about the same RPM, so we're calling it done unless it plays up again. We'll give it a run tomorrow to make sure.

The throttle cable isn't supposed to be used to set the idle. It's supposed to have a bit of slack and if you raised the idle by adjusting it you probably now don't have any.

Check that it doesn't pick up revs when turning the bars lock to lock.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:27 - 18 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
The throttle cable isn't supposed to be used to set the idle. It's supposed to have a bit of slack and if you raised the idle by adjusting it you probably now don't have any.

Check that it doesn't pick up revs when turning the bars lock to lock.

I'm aware it isn't, and I did check (MOT fail if it does), it doesn't change revs at all when moving bars. At the end of the day, it's a work hack, it just needs to get me to work, reliably. The idle wasn't raised enough to be noticeable by anything other than it not cutting out. It's still at 1500 cold, 1200 warm, which it was when I got it a few months ago.

It appears to have done the trick, and I'm happy with it. If I need to, I'll adjust the lower stop, but that's tank cover, tank and all the other bullshit coming off to get to it, and it's fucking freezing at this time of year, so it can wait.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 100 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1