Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

MOT Failure Head Bearings

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Codey90
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:29 - 18 Jan 2020    Post subject: MOT Failure Head Bearings Reply with quote

Hi all,
My bike failed it's MOT yesterday due to movement in the forks caused by a faulty head bearing. This was due to the bike being stolen a while back and a hammer being taken to the yoke to get rid of the steering lock.. Lovely

Question being, look at the below part diagram
https://www.chinesemotorcyclepartsonline.co.uk/microfiche/8012/477

The issue is some parts the garage can't get hold of.
Parts 3, 5 and 7 (Upper Yoke Bearing Set) has been ordered but parts 4, 6 and 8 (Yoke Bearing Set) they cannot and the supplier has said they do not if they will be back in stock anytime soon.

After ringing my dealership where the bike was from, they said there is no lower yoke bearing, all it is is merely a plastic cup filled with grease and ball bearings.
Looking at the diagram, I can't tell what is what. Is the upper yoke bearing set likely to fix the issue? What is the difference between upper yoke bearing set and yoke bearing set? The last thing the garage wants is to take the bike to bits and then find out they can't get hold of the necessary part.

Any help will be much appreciated!

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:58 - 18 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds fishy to me
How did a theif manage to just damage bearings yet leave the headstock/Yoke untouched?
Sounds like no one has bothered to assess actual damage and faults

Besides, if they do need replacing
Do you think they make one off special bearings just for one model of a budget chinese bike?
bollox they would
I bet they're common as muck if someone took the time to investigate and there's probably taper roller option too.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:12 - 19 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

And it may turn out they just need tightening up.

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 00:26 - 19 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Measure up the outer diameter of the outer races , the inner diameter of the inner races, and the overall thickness of the bearings when assembled. Then armed with the dimensions maybe 43mm 25mm and 11mm go and look somewhere like simply bearings website

https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p43708/43Y/25M1-Narrow-Section-Steering-Head-Set-Taper-Roller-Bearing-25x43x11mm/product_info.html

sorted

Codey90
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 00:43 - 19 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve the grease wrote:
Measure up the outer diameter of the outer races , the inner diameter of the inner races, and the overall thickness of the bearings when assembled. Then armed with the dimensions maybe 43mm 25mm and 11mm go and look somewhere like simply bearings website

https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p43708/43Y/25M1-Narrow-Section-Steering-Head-Set-Taper-Roller-Bearing-25x43x11mm/product_info.html

sorted

My bearing size for the lower is 48 OD, 27 Bore and 14.6mm Height
I've found one on that website with the same dimensions but 14mm height. Doubt the 0.6mm height difference will affect much?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:48 - 19 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to write a Tef-sized post about the generic nature of ball-bearings, their history, etc. but looking at the picture again I suspect the complication (for the hard of thinking garage mechanic seemingly) is they are caged ball races.

Still shouldn't be a problem. Ball races are common things you just need to know the size. If you have play in the steering then one would hope all the parts are still present to measure.

While I agree with my esteemed fellow member, weasley, that it may just need tightening up it seems rather lazy not to take the thing apart and assess the damage (if any) before ordering parts.

I suspect it's a case of "order all relevant parts, strip and replace, return unneeded parts to supplier." Wasteful but commonplace strategy in the spanner business.

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 01:27 - 19 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

My bearing size for the lower is 48 OD, 27 Bore and 14.6mm Height
I've found one on that website with the same dimensions but 14mm height. Doubt the 0.6mm height difference will affect much?

0.6mm is 24 thou (0.024") in old money. Thats about the same as a sparkplug gap . It absolutely won't make any difference to the bike, that tiny an amount, if something rubs, (it shouldn't ) then any 'competent' garage will soon make up a shim out of sheet metal to space it out. There is always adjustment ...... in your diagram part 14 has a long thread so part 13 can be adjusted up or down with nut 11 to get the adjustment right.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 01:35 - 19 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hitting the yoke with a hammer will not bother the actual bearings in the slightest. I've seen me whaling directly on a steering beraing race for half an hour with a lumphammer and drift trying to remove it and it just laughed at me. They are made from the hardest of hard steel.

So if there is play there, they either need tightening (most likely) or there is a more fundamental problem like missing ball bearings or damaged yoke.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:50 - 19 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

We may all be going down the garden path here y'know
As Weasley says, they may just need nipping up.
I bet the OPs never checked the feckers and made a tenous link from
A
someone tried to nick his bike by breaking the steering lock
B
Then it fails the MOT for movement in the forks
( the MOT guy is only going to say it has excessive play
he isn't to going investigate why, not his job)
C
Therefore its 'broken' bearings due to the attempted theft not natural wear,tear and lack of checking/servicing

which all goes back to doing a proper investigation in the first place and not making assumptions
or believing some 'computer says no' spotty yoof in the parts department

On the off chance they are buggered.
I wouldn't be surprised if they're the same as YBR,CG or GN 125 head bearings anyway,
they've cloned just about everything else.

had a look out of curiosity my moneys on the GN 125

From Wemoto:

Suzuki GN 125 02-08 Tapered Headrace Lower Bearing
27x48x14. On RG 125 type NF12 you must re-use the original spacer on the lower bearing.

Suzuki GN 125 02-08 Tapered Headrace Top Bearing
25x45x14mm

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:06 - 19 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe cheap and nasty like,
https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?products_id=20027140&vat_inc=true&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIld7gr7iO5wIVCLrtCh29Jg_zEAQYAyABEgJJN_D_BwE

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:17 - 19 Jan 2020    Post subject: Re: MOT Failure Head Bearings Reply with quote

Codey90 wrote:
Hi all,
My bike failed it's MOT yesterday due to movement in the forks caused by a faulty head bearing. This was due to the bike being stolen a while back and a hammer being taken to the yoke to get rid of the steering lock.. Lovely

Question being, look at the below part diagram
https://www.chinesemotorcyclepartsonline.co.uk/microfiche/8012/477

The issue is some parts the garage can't get hold of.
Parts 3, 5 and 7 (Upper Yoke Bearing Set) has been ordered but parts 4, 6 and 8 (Yoke Bearing Set) they cannot and the supplier has said they do not if they will be back in stock anytime soon.

After ringing my dealership where the bike was from, they said there is no lower yoke bearing, all it is is merely a plastic cup filled with grease and ball bearings.
Looking at the diagram, I can't tell what is what. Is the upper yoke bearing set likely to fix the issue? What is the difference between upper yoke bearing set and yoke bearing set? The last thing the garage wants is to take the bike to bits and then find out they can't get hold of the necessary part.

Any help will be much appreciated!

Nut 11 is the adjuster for the headstock bearings. Remove bolt 10 to get access to it. Find some way of keeping the front wheel off the floor and have someone push/pull on the wheel to feel for play. Tighten nut 11 until the play is removed but not so much that the steering feels notchy (it won't take much). Once you can feel no front/back play in the steering tighten it all back up and go for your re-test.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:59 - 19 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is exactly the same design as on my 2000 Africa Twin. The ball bearing sit in a plastic ring, you tap the metal cup all the way down the head stock, the shells get tapped into each end of the head stock tube and the plastic ring sits between them in a nice slathering of grease.

If you take the front wheel out it will give you room to undo the whole assembly and lower it with forks still attached to have a look and see if they really are damaged or if they just need a regrease and then readjustment.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 89 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1