Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Armadillo boxes

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

the_eel
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:11 - 17 Jan 2020    Post subject: Armadillo boxes Reply with quote

New (nervous) biker here. bought a 62 plate ybr 125 for the daily commute as someone who knows NOTHING about bikes or bike culture purely for practical and economic reasons.

I now know why people get in to bikes.

I like it way more than I than I thought I would.

but it still scares the sh*t out of me.

anyway, the wife has just bought an old beetle and it needs to live in the garage otherwise it will rust away. guess what - my bike is in there.

so, has anyone here got one these metal storage box / crate things to park their bike in and are they any good / worth the money? I was looking at aramdilloboxes.co.uk

apologies if this has been covered somewhere else. had a look but couldn't find anything,

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 13:40 - 17 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 thousand of your earth pound notes....

Can you clean a bit of space in the garage ?

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:10 - 17 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You were there first, tell her to shove her hitlermobile in a field and burn it, the mancave is yours.

From the picture that shed thing looks like single skin metal, hello condensation and corrosion.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:41 - 17 Jan 2020    Post subject: Re: Armadillo boxes Reply with quote

the_eel wrote:
has anyone here got one these metal storage box / crate things to park their bike in and are they any good / worth the money?

What do you want the box for? Protection from the weather? Protection against general thievery? So you can do maintenance in it? To be sited where on your property?

Personally I'm not keen on metal boxes, they "sweat" and drip.

the_eel
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:02 - 17 Jan 2020    Post subject: Re: Armadillo boxes Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
What do you want the box for? Protection from the weather? Protection against general thievery? So you can do maintenance in it? To be sited where on your property?

all of the above really, plus the insurance company want it to be in a lockable building.

Riejufixing wrote:
Personally I'm not keen on metal boxes, they "sweat" and drip.

good point - I hadn't thought of that. I'm keen on sweaty boxes but not that type etc etc.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:03 - 17 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's face it - that Beetle is hardly a concourse classic. It's probably half made of filler. Probably hasn't been maintained, has a knackered engine, and she won't be working on it. When that banger fails to win over the classic car lot; she'll see it as a slobmobile, and will sell it. In the honored tradition of the 20-odd previous owners it's had over the past 30 years. On the other hand, your YBR125 will hold its value if you, and not a thief, are still in possession when the time comes to sell. The Beetle will rust, yes. But you know the novelty will wear off with her sooner rather than later. If she's concerned about rust, ask what her plans are to replace panels and get bodywork done. Keep your bike in the garage.

the_eel
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:04 - 17 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinK98 wrote:
1 thousand of your earth pound notes....

Can you clean a bit of space in the garage ?

it may come to that to be honest.

the_eel
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:05 - 17 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
You were there first, tell her to shove her hitlermobile in a field and burn it, the mancave is yours.

this conversation has been had!

wr6133 wrote:
From the picture that shed thing looks like single skin metal, hello condensation and corrosion.

that's a good point Thumbs Up

the_eel
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:09 - 17 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
Let's face it - that Beetle is hardly a concourse classic. It's probably half made of filler. Probably hasn't been maintained, has a knackered engine, and she won't be working on it. When that banger fails to win over the classic car lot; she'll see it as a slobmobile, and will sell it. In the honored tradition of the 20-odd previous owners it's had over the past 30 years. On the other hand, your YBR125 will hold its value if you, and not a thief, are still in possession when the time comes to sell. The Beetle will rust, yes. But you know the novelty will wear off with her sooner rather than later. If she's concerned about rust, ask what her plans are to replace panels and get bodywork done. Keep your bike in the garage.

you haven't met my wife have you! Laughing all of the above has been 'discussed'. thankfully she was sensible (not one of her usual traits!) and bought one that had been restored from the ground up by an aeronautical engineer. it's in great shape but will only last as long as it is maintained ...............

I don't think she counted on how much I like my bike!

"you're going to have to move you bike out of the garage"

"oh I am am I?"

the usual Laughing

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:13 - 17 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know your property layout but I think a decent shed should be a more viable option.

With the relaxed planning laws, would you be able to build a brick outhouse if a shed wasn't secure enough?

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:24 - 17 Jan 2020    Post subject: Re: Armadillo boxes Reply with quote

the_eel wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:

all of the above really, plus the insurance company want it to be in a lockable building.

Who's the insurer? Some will OK a wooden shed if it's in your garden. For the money that box thing costs, you could perhaps buy a larger steel shed and line it with Sterling board. You'll have trouble getting into something only 4' wide if the bike's in there too.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:35 - 17 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time for a new wife. Thumbs Up

the_eel
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 09:44 - 18 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

t121anf wrote:
I don't know your property layout but I think a decent shed should be a more viable option.

With the relaxed planning laws, would you be able to build a brick outhouse if a shed wasn't secure enough?

looked in to this - the lowest quote for the extension to the side of the garage is 2 and a half grand! not really an option right now Sad

the_eel
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 09:44 - 18 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Time for a new wife. Thumbs Up

a new bike is cheaper Smile

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:32 - 18 Jan 2020    Post subject: Re: Armadillo boxes Reply with quote

the_eel wrote:
New (nervous) biker here. bought a 62 plate ybr 125 for the daily commute as someone who knows NOTHING about bikes or bike culture purely for practical and economic reasons.

I now know why people get in to bikes.

I like it way more than I than I thought I would.

but it still scares the sh*t out of me.

anyway, the wife has just bought an old beetle and it needs to live in the garage otherwise it will rust away. guess what - my bike is in there.

so, has anyone here got one these metal storage box / crate things to park their bike in and are they any good / worth the money? I was looking at aramdilloboxes.co.uk

apologies if this has been covered somewhere else. had a look but couldn't find anything,
Clear it out and see if you can get both in there at the same time. At least Beetle's are old enough to still be small cars compared to today's monsters. Worst case, the bike goes in front of the car. Best case you can get it down the passenger side on the centre stand so it will take up less room, especially if the door is narrower than the full garage width.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:31 - 18 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

the_eel wrote:

you haven't met my wife have you!

..oh yes I have Rolling Eyes

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

the_eel
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:59 - 18 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
the_eel wrote:

you haven't met my wife have you!

..oh yes I have Rolling Eyes

aaaah so its *you*!!!!

2wheelLover51
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:58 - 18 Jan 2020    Post subject: YBR125, Reply with quote

Lets hope you can squeeze it into the garage. If not, why not use a decent cover. I've used Oxford Stormex covers on all my bikes. They've always sat outside, year round. As long as you keep them weather proofed with some WD40, ACF50 etc. they'll be ok.
You'll probably need some security as well..
Of course you could always cover the car instead.. Wink

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:42 - 20 Jan 2020    Post subject: Re: Armadillo boxes Reply with quote

the_eel wrote:
..I'm keen on sweaty boxes but not that type etc etc.

You sure you've not posted on here before?

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:55 - 20 Jan 2020    Post subject: Re: Armadillo boxes Reply with quote

the_eel wrote:
the insurance company want it to be in a lockable building.

That means a brick or concrete structure, no wooden structures, portable boxes, tents etc, etc.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:11 - 20 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

A YBR doesn't take up a lot of spaces sideways - assuming the VW will be a high-days-and-holidays kind of thing rather than a daily driver, you back the car in as far as it will go then park the bike across the front of it. It might take a bit of manoeuvring depending on access but a simple wheel dolly might help.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 97 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1