Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

CBF doesn't like Shell garage.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

2wheelLover51
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:38 - 18 Jan 2020    Post subject: CBF doesn't like Shell garage. Reply with quote

I use my bike regularly, at least 2 or 3 times a week (2008 CBF600SA) and yesterday I rode about 30 miles to do a bit of shopping. The bike was starting as usual, until I dropped into the Shell garage near me (Darby's Corner, Poole) when I tried to restart after filling up it wouldn't. I flicked the sidestand down and up again, turned the cutout switch on and off, nothing. Put it in gear, rocked the bike back and forward, etc.
Eventually it started, and I went about 100 yards and the bike just cutout. I coasted into a bus stop, flicked the cutout again, cussed, and the fuel injection light came on briefly and the bike restarted. I rode a bit up the road and stopped a few miles away. The bike restarted as per usual. I got home and sprayed some WD40 into the kill switch and the sidestand switch and gave it a good clean. The bike restarted normally.
The bikes' done this now 3 or 4 times at this garage, but restarts normally everywhere else. I remember a few years back reading about owners having problems with FI bikes near microwave towers or transmission masts of some sort. Does anyone remember the details?

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:53 - 18 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

2wheelLover51 wrote:
I remember a few years back reading about owners having problems with FI bikes near microwave towers or transmission masts of some sort.

I've heard of that in relation to preventing alarms from being set/reset. I was never sure if it was true though. Not heard it with respect to electronically jamming FI systems and it seems unlikely. In this case I'd suspect water (or diesel) contamination. I once used a particular rural car dealership to fill up and the bike ran rough until the next fill up. Probably water in the tank.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

2wheelLover51
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:22 - 18 Jan 2020    Post subject: CBF doesn't like Shell garage. Reply with quote

Thanks Jimbo.
I think you're right about it being the alarm and not the ignition now I think back! I've never thought about it being contamination, but I'll check it out.
Thanks.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:10 - 18 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If their fuel was contaminated it wouldn't cause an immediate issue starting at the pump.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:12 - 18 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I`ve read similar , maybe on here where the rider pushed his bike into another area / zone and it started.
I would use another fuel station first though.

2wheelLover51
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:38 - 18 Jan 2020    Post subject: CBF doesn't like Shell garage. Reply with quote

That's what I thought. Contamination would take time to work its way through the fuel system. Funny enough I've just done a search for transmission masts and found that right opposite the garage is a large O3 mobile phone mast. Coincidence?
I've already made my mind up that I'll be using another gas station in future!

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:45 - 18 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's possible that microwaves have some effect but not the regular phone antenna which actually run at quite low power.
Any networking dishes on the side emit a torch-like microwave beam which *might* effect some sensitive security devices

Years ago now the Fylingdales early warning station was updated to it's current pyramid design and a nearby pub had daily incidents of immobilisers not possible to turn off when customers came out.
The usual solution was call AA or local farmer and tow it round the hill.

It actually pulsed something like 10 times a second and if you repeatedly hit the key fob (this was late 80s early 90s) you could sometimes hit it between pulses by chance.
Screening by heavy lorry or van also sometimes helped
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:51 - 18 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had exactly this problem with my previous Ford Explorer, there was a Sainsburys car park in Aylesbury where if I parked in one particular area, about four parking spaces wide, it wouldn't start again. Push the bloody two ton thing out of the parking space and it started fine. Also had the same problem at that big shopping complex near the Dartford tunnel, I couldn't park anywhere in the main car park, but no problems in the overflow car park.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

2wheelLover51
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:22 - 18 Jan 2020    Post subject: CBF doesn't like Shell garage. Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies. It sounds like it could be interference of some sort. I could maybe screen the EFI unit / wiring with heavy foil, and earth it to the frame, but probably easier to fill up elsewhere. Smile

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:19 - 18 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember being told a tale many years ago. It started with a person stating that their car didn’t like strawberry ice cream.

A person would park their car outside a store and go in for ice cream. If they bought vanilla ice cream, when they returned to the car it would start ok. Occasionally they would decide, for a change, to have strawberry ice cream and when they did, the car wouldn’t start.

I’m sure it got told in more detail and better than that but the outcome/moral is that one should look at all the factors before assigning blame. In that case it turned out that the strawberry ice cream was kept in a freezer further back in the shop, meaning the car stood for longer before being restarted. Just enough extra time for heat soak to create a vapour lock.

I’m not saying this is happening here, but there could be some other factor associated with the Shell forecourt that is significant. You’ve thought about interference, which is worth testing further but don’t rule out anything until you have ruled it out.

2wheelLover51
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:46 - 18 Jan 2020    Post subject: CBF doesn't like Shell garage. Reply with quote

Mmm. Weasley, I understand where you're coming from with this story but think the possibilities are limited. The bike is usually an instant starter. It never spins over or coughs or splutters, just instant starting even in cold wet weather, at the first touch of the button .
I wonder if the electronics of the speaking pumps could combine with the microwaves or phone signals to give some sort of "super wave" which stuffs up my EFI! Rolling Eyes
Maybe I'll try the vanilla ice cream though.. Razz

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:08 - 19 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminds me of a story a mate told me...

"Yeah, I'd love an old-skool Vespa [takes all sorts but it was the first bike he had as a kid] and my mate Fred offered me his. Thing is, it's common knowledge that his bike goes 500 miles and then conks out... pretty consistent too, checking the clocks. He's had all the garages look at it and no one can figure it out."

Huh... how much was he asking?

"Three bags 'cos it's a classic..."

That doesn't work!

I had to question that. Surely, I reasoned, it must somehow start again if it regularly does this... whatever it is. Between us we guessed it got left for a bit to cool down and then off it went again.

Anyhoo, apply reason and logic. You stop off at this garage and the bike goes all weird. How about you stop at the garage just for a Mars bar or something and not fuel. See if it does the same thing?

2wheelLover51
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:44 - 19 Jan 2020    Post subject: CBF doesn't like Shell garage. Reply with quote

TBH I think I'll be keeping away for a while, at least until I regain my confidence that the bike is still running well, and then I might revisit to confirm it's definitely the location that's causing the problem.
The thing is it's the nearest station to me, and has nice friendly staff.
I've just recently moved to Poole, and the CBF is also fairly new to me (although it's my second CBF) only having had it for about 2 months.
I never mentioned that on my first visit to this station as I was filling up, water started pouring from the radiator area. I thought it was coolant and shut off, paid for my fuel, and then pushed it home (about a mile). When I took off the hoses and rad. I found the system was still full of bright green coolant. I know I can't blame this on microwaves, more likely an anti-biking poltergeist! Laughing

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:51 - 19 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
If their fuel was contaminated it wouldn't cause an immediate issue starting at the pump.

Exactly. You could have filled the tank with water and it would start ok as there'd still be fuel in the lines.

I'd be very skeptical thinking it was EMI causing the issues too - modern electronics are designed to be fairly resistant to outside interference - you'd probably have to have the bike right next to the mobile tower antennas to have any effect.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:07 - 20 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
doggone wrote:

Exactly. You could have filled the tank with water and it would start ok as there'd still be fuel in the lines.

You might both be right but I had assumed fuel is circulated when you first turn the key? On my R1 the pump whirrs for 5 seconds and you can sometimes hear a disturbance in the tank. I assumed fuel was being pushed all the way round, ie. through the fuel rail and into the pressure regulator until pressure is reached, then the regulator would keep bleeding any excess flow back to the tank. Maybe only the pump is primed though. Anyone know what actually happens?

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 12:09 - 20 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have this problem with both of my Harleys. My local petrol station was next to a big transmitter tower. Harleys of the time used a wireless immobiliser fob. Bike wouldn't want to start after filling, and the alarm went off. I used a different petrol station.

2wheelLover51
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:13 - 20 Jan 2020    Post subject: CBF doesn't like Shell garage. Reply with quote

I've just had a thought. Perhaps it's not the FI system itself but rather the signal is interfering with the HISS imobiliser system.. hmmm a definite maybe! Confused

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:47 - 20 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a toss up between the death ray and strawberry ice cream scenarios I'd focus on the ice creams. What do you do at the fuel stop that you don't do elsewhere? Open the fuel cap. Restart after a 5 minute stop. If you ever visit other fuel stations does it work fine?

2wheelLover51
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:26 - 20 Jan 2020    Post subject: CBF doesn't like Shell garage. Reply with quote

Hi Jimbo.
I can't recall the bike ever not starting in other garages. I've been out today on it and deliberately stopped and restarted, at traffic lights etc. I've left it for 5 minutes and it restarts instantly.
If I remember correctly it has refused to start a few times after I've fluffed the start and left the side stand down or the kill switch in the off position, etc. After doing it, the hiss or FI system takes a few moments to catch up, but I think this is just the normal operation of the system. As I've said, although it's my second CBF it's a while back and I've been riding cruisers for the last few years. I do know that each time I've visited the Shell station I've had problems.
I'm now convinced it's the mast interacting with the Hiss system. Smile

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:01 - 21 Jan 2020    Post subject: Re: CBF doesn't like Shell garage. Reply with quote

2wheelLover51 wrote:
I'm now convinced it's the mast interacting with the Hiss system. Smile

Sounds more logical. If it were affecting EFI in general the bikes would be dying all round the garage as they pass by.

HISS only kicks in when you start the thing.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 95 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1