BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Heated Gloves/Jacket Liners?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:23 - 12 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was surprised you found the gerbings so shite in general as most reviews class them as them either the best or near that. I actually wanted to change my keis for them.

Well, update on the Keis:
Still only have one working glove as J&S open hours match my work hours and they aren't open sundays Neutral

On these chilly mornings I find that with the Keis off my hands start getting cold at 15 mins and freezing at 30m, while my winter gloves only get cold at 30m, backs of hands stay ok and fingers get progressively colder and colder.
With the Keis on medium the back of the hand remains hot, but fingers still get uncomfortably cold after a point. I class them as a 3 season glove as Winter is not one of them as I don't find them very windproof.

I'm going to try wearing some form of liner to see if it helps... Neutral

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:39 - 12 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can only assume mkst have not tried the chinese inserts. Yes they are a faff, but once you get them correctly positioned they will generally stay there. Not perfect, but they are far hotter, and long enough to wrap the fingertips.

Please note a 5 quid spool of heating wire, at retail prices, will do quite a few gloves. Iam discusted at the profit they'll be making for such a shit glove.

Undinist wrote:
I've ordered a pair of Dane Fyre. £299. Moto65 has a deal on them - free bike wiring. They don't look very bulky. And I'm hoping that the Danes are good at this sort of thing,

https://www.dane.eu/en/product/51419
https://moto65.co.uk/collections/dane/products/dane-fyre-gore-tex-hybrid-heated-gloves

https://i.imgur.com/TxNFG5g.jpg

Please update, that is a massive risk if you cant try them in person first. Id be amazed if any good at that price, but a price worth paying if good. People with too much money will just accept a poor product. For an item with little competition, the best product will be cheap. Try sell a shit product cheap and the tight gits will send it straight back.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:30 - 12 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Undinist wrote:
I've ordered a pair of Dane Fyre. £299.

For your sake I hope they work for you: looking at that red connector it really doesn't scream waterproof, quality or that it will stand up to much. Shocked

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 23:00 - 12 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a risk. It would have made more sense to go 1 mile to my local Infinity and try on some Keis ones. Not sure why I didn't do that tbh. Brainfart.

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 22:57 - 13 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the Dane Fyres arrived today. They look great, superb leather. And the packaging is terrific. But no instructions in the box or online. And the batteries are dead - won't take a charge. And the gloves are the wrong size - so much for the Dane online sizing guide. And one of them has a small cut on the edge of the battery pocket. The battery is a tight fit, so getting it in and out would cause the cut to grow. So back they go. Useless heap of garbage. I'm not going to try them connected directly to the battery because the quality control is so fucking shitty that they'd probably cause the bike to explode.

billyray911
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:49 - 13 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

This winter I’ve ordered some cheap Richa Carbon winter gloves -I’ve gone a size bigger and some Keis G102 liners.I’ve also bought a Keis X20 heated vest that connects to the gloves.
I was going to buy some sw motech Kobra handguards and use these with heated grips and winter gloves,but I’m not convinced that handguards will be that good-and what I’ve bought will cost less and will hopefully be more effective.

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 19:28 - 18 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Undinist wrote:
So the Dane Fyres arrived today. They look great, superb leather. And the packaging is terrific. But no instructions in the box or online. And the batteries are dead - won't take a charge. And the gloves are the wrong size - so much for the Dane online sizing guide. And one of them has a small cut on the edge of the battery pocket. The battery is a tight fit, so getting it in and out would cause the cut to grow. So back they go. Useless heap of garbage. I'm not going to try them connected directly to the battery because the quality control is so fucking shitty that they'd probably cause the bike to explode.

I was wrong about the batteries - they're fine. I was just not operating the gloves correctly. Instructions would have helped.

They get very hot. I'm thinking about swapping them for a smaller size and keeping them. I'm in two minds because the heating elements are on the backs of the fingers - I would so much rather have them on the fingertips. That's where I get a painful loss of circulation in the cold. The hottest part of the gloves is on the higher part of the back of the hand, almost at the wrist. This seems daft to me. Nobody wants that part of their hand roasted. It's all about the fingers.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:53 - 19 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Send them back. You dont pay that much for a shit design product. There is no technical reason to not have heating at the tips, because Ive done it.

My new chinese wire inserts have not arrived yet, I cant wait to try them.

Until then I am using last years, worn out, chinese carbon element type. When they go bad it is the base of the thumb - gets hot spot that makes unusable. Solution - peel back the cloth, move the carbon strip accross the thumb gap to remove it from cicuit. Glue and tape up, cut the thumb off, and have thumb-less warm fingers. Works great. Dont need thumbs heated anyway with heated grips.

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 21:17 - 19 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just been to Infinity and tried on some Gerbings and RSTs. Unfortunately the shop does not have the equipment for heating them. But it seemed to me that their leather is of much lower quality than the Dane Fyres. I wouldn't expect them to last long, but I reckon the Dane Fyres would go on for years, and would also be much more protective from abrasion when crashing.

The guy who works at Infinity says nobody makes gloves with a heating element on the fingertip because it would wear out from all the pressing of buttons. (I've had the index fingertip wear right through on leather summer gloves.)

I also learned that the three models of Racer heated glove on the Infinity site https://www.infinitymotorcycles.com/store/gloves/heated-gloves will not be in stock anytime soon because until the other day the Racer UK distributor was unaware that Racer makes any heated gloves.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:26 - 19 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Undinist wrote:
I've just been to Infinity and tried on some Gerbings and RSTs. Unfortunately the shop does not have the equipment for heating them.

LUL, WUT?

The RST's are powered off batteries included in the box. Confused

Sounds like you spoke to a not very clued up spanner salesman.

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:59 - 20 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gerbings last fine.

Mine are on their 3rd winter. Honestly - have you tried them properly?

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:40 - 20 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris wrote:
The Gerbings last fine.

Mine are on their 3rd winter. Honestly - have you tried them properly?

Im sure they last fine, that was not the issue. The quality is shit, and the heat output is a fraction of the chinese inserts. They have massive bulk and are utter shit as an actual glove.

The new inserts arrived today Mr. Green just a note, they include controller but no wiring for jacket or bike (which all my previous inserts of the other type had included). They use the same DC plug so that is fine. They are also massive, plenty of material to wrap the fingers. The thumb position actually reflects the real shape of the thumb, so will be far more comfortable.

https://i.postimg.cc/854N14F2/IMG-20191120-193749.jpg

Shows the size and design difference.

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 20:54 - 20 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried on the Gerbing GT briefly in the shop. That's my only experience of them. They didn't seem bulky. I think they would be very easy from an ergonomical point of view. And they're only £140.

https://www.thevisorshop.com/en/gb/Gerbing-GT-Heated-Motorcycle-Gloves/m-26646.aspx?PartnerID=21&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=UnitedKingdom&gclid=Cj0KCQiA5dPuBRCrARIsAJL7oei50lRwDvy6DZvgG8kOS63rpnXdviuWyHyCmVd5ixyJ8gBuVi-r8uMaAmVyEALw_wcB

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:13 - 21 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

New insert fitted and connected to test rig. Massively better than the old ones and much easier to fit. Pic below is just using pvc tape for a quick test - which is only good for one or two days - ideally sew the finger tips to overlap like this (do with closed fist). They will generally stay put in the glove rarely need adjustment.

https://i.postimg.cc/L5C4Y9xT/IMG-20191120-222145.jpg

Resistance 11.1R (per glove)
Its listed as 7.4v. Ive tried upto 12v and its fine, unsure if I will try 14.7v as it will be getting too hot and unsure about controller. It would be best to pre-regulate down to the max power that you want with a suitable buck controller.

5V is weak, 0.45A, 2.25w
7.4v * 0.66A = 4.884w, getting better.
9v * 0.79A = 7.11w
10.4v *0.92A = 9.57w - getting toasty (indoors with a winter glove!) but perfectly distributed.
12v * 1.08A = 12.96w
14.7 * 1.31A = 19W

In series without controller would be 9.73W total, 5w per glove, not quite enough but much better than nothing.

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 08:53 - 26 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using Gerbings for a couple of years. They're excellent.

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:45 - 26 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a very nice diy.

Anyways:

I tried the new Gerbing microwrite gloves at motorcycle live and I think they would have made a much better purchase than Keis.

Think I'm gonna stick them on ebay and get the Gerbils...

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:42 - 27 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJP wrote:
I've been using Gerbings for a couple of years. They're excellent.

Excellent at heating the wrong part of the hand, yes. Do you have very short fingers?

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:39 - 21 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update - havent needed them with warm wet weather. This week is colder, so put some effort in.
These tiny things arrived, small as thumb nail.
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Super-Mini-DC-DC-Converter-Step-Down-Module-Adjustable-1V-5V-12V-16V-Supply-V9G6/323907491088
set to 9.5v, roughtly 8w/5w/2.5w, and seal in epoxy for weather protection.

Works bloody well, warm to the tips. Got a spare pair and for those I will move controllers to jacket. I dont want to sew into gloves and having it loose doednt offer much strain relief,

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 01:43 - 21 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I swapped my Dane Fyres for a smaller size, and they're lovely. Perfect fit too. But I haven't needed them because I haven't been on any decent journeys in the cold. Doh! All that expense for nothing. I'm now hoping for a new ice age.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:53 - 21 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
Update - havent needed them with warm wet weather. This week is colder, so put some effort in.
These tiny things arrived, small as thumb nail.
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Super-Mini-DC-DC-Converter-Step-Down-Module-Adjustable-1V-5V-12V-16V-Supply-V9G6/323907491088
set to 9.5v, roughtly 8w/5w/2.5w, and seal in epoxy for weather protection.

Works bloody well, warm to the tips. Got a spare pair and for those I will move controllers to jacket. I dont want to sew into gloves and having it loose doednt offer much strain relief,

I made diy gloves using Beadalon stainless steel wire. My controller is a lot bulkier than that tiny thing. How are you connecting that up? I'm interested.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:48 - 21 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bike relay > switch> bike cables > jacket split cable > glove jacket connector > mini buck regulator > insert controller > insert ( buck and pwm seperate for each glove)

The buck pcb doesnt even get warm, very impressed.

The insert controller has some undocumented lock mode, where it shows light blue and wont heat. Had me baffled for a while, but im guessing rapid press or holding will lock or unlock it.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:54 - 04 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small update. Glove inserts have been bloody brilliant, using on low most of the time, even when its not cold. Only needed to pull out to readjust once - where as the other inserts I was doing every couple of days. The pwm controller is a pain Im going to change preset voltage on mine to 8 2v and remove the silly pwm thing - 6 seconds of fiddling about pressing buttons each time I start bike. It will instead be always on when the jacket switches are on. Reminds me of the awful oxford hot grips. Note that the Gerbings sre exactly the same controller, and were utter shite.

And these arrived tooday. www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electric-Heated-Socks-Boot-Feet-Warmer-Winter-3-7V-USB-Rechargable-Battery-Sock/362802154986
I got with the batteries for 17 quid. Batteries are single cells claimed 2200mAh. Heat pad is only small, covering ball of the foot/toes, which I think is perfect. No controller in socks, ideal as I will stick one of mine in my wiring from jacket. The batteries have a controller giving 3 levels, highest has a good amount of heat.

I will be honest I dont have any problem with cold feet on the bike, these are mostly for at home/working in the shed on lathe. Its a cold house with a very cold floor, literally sucks the heat out of your toes and makes them numb, which is why I went for the batteries.

PotatoHead202...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:09 - 10 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gotta say that I held off for years over better gloves. Been riding since I was 16 (now 29) and finally succumbed. I got the new gerbing xrl and they're utterly, utterly fantastic. Can't fault mine at all.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 74 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2