Most miles in a day

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:21 - 22 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
Ashford Kent to a place North of Glasgow Airport (the name of which escapes me*) and back, just over 1000 miles I think.

* Helensburgh I think it was

ooh, Shocked not nice..

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

myvision
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:44 - 22 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
What's the panic to get to Passau anyway?
It's full of foreigners y'know.......

The trip is to Romainia and the plan is to do a healthy mileage on the first day as we have routes and places planned for the remainder of the trip.

I've done 831 miles in a day before but that was in a nice new comfy car from the Dordogne up to North Lincolnshire i was fine after that and honestly could have kept going but on the bike?????

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:57 - 22 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know a huge amount will depend on the weather.

A warm, pleasant sunny calm day and you will find it doable if not particularly enjoyable.

A wet windy cold day and it won't be doable. end of. You will be cold, tired, wet through and riding badly in a couple of hundred miles. A danger to yourself and others.

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:29 - 22 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

530 miles from South London to Spean Bridge Scottish Highlands on 3 different bikes from 125cc, R1s, GSXR1000s

all in one day

favourite is the 125cc

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:53 - 22 Jan 2020    Post subject: Re: Most miles in a day Reply with quote

myvision wrote:
What's the most miles you've done in a day?

We are heading out into Europe this summer and my mate has planned the route with the first day being just north of London to the Eurotunnel and then stopping at Passau Germany around 800 miles.

That's going to be a hard day for me I think.

Just 1 thing, you've not said on what bike, as that can make a big difference, I think my best 2 bikes for distance riding have been, my VTX1300, which is just like an armchair, and, would easily do over 100mph, and now my Interceptor, with the touring seat fitted. The ST7 isn't bad, but, over a long period of time the right footpeg placement causes abit of discomfort.

myvision
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:01 - 22 Jan 2020    Post subject: Re: Most miles in a day Reply with quote

[quote="linuxyeti"

Just 1 thing, you've not said on what bike, as that can make a big difference, [/quote]

Currently my YZF600 but i'm actually looking hard at the Pan Europeans and buying one for this trip.

BrownTrousers
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:16 - 22 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

450 miles, from the Ardennes to my home in Lincolnshire, about 50:50 motorway versus scenic route.

Was not comfortable and probably not 100% paying attention during the last 100miles and was very pleased to get off. I wouldn't do that kind of distance on a holiday again except for on the final day slog home (which it was).

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:38 - 22 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leeds to Westward Ho (dont know the mileage) on an MZ Supafive on L's so no motorways. Slept on a drystone wall for a bit at one point.

OGR

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 00:16 - 23 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

~600 miles ~12 hrs south Germany to Oxfordshire and home just in time for tea Very Happy

Could barely moved my legs for the next few days.

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:32 - 23 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just considered a trip to Italy to meet Mrs. 1198 there and avoid the plane (not because I don’t want to fly, just fancied the ride instead). Errr, it’s nearly 1500 miles. Maybe not!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:19 - 23 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glezga to Saint John de Mont. 900 miles 17-18 hours.
Just fuel stops within tank range about 220 miles per tank to avoid pushing the fucking thing along a frog motorway.

charlie_580
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:40 - 27 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

570 miles. Home to JOG on a 600 Bandit.

I find big miles easy on motorways (but boring). Did a 400 mile round trip to Father Teds house last year. Only about 30 miles on motorway. Def tired when I got home.

I agree with everyone saying 300 mile/day limit for enjoyment.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:33 - 27 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Git Racing wrote:
Slept on a drystone wall for a bit at one point.

OGR

jammy bastard - all we had was a bed of nails, rusty ones at that

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

smallfrowne
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:11 - 28 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing nearly 1000 miles from a daft Spanish town in France (Llivia) to home in Rovrum. For extra demerit points it was done on a few hours of kip in a tent after a very boozy night where I either lost or had my precious phone knicked. Had a sudden urge to bugger off back home, leaving my companion alone, and bailing on plans to meet with another group somewhere in Central France.

Sleep deprivation definitely didn't help. Nor the fact that only 2 days previous I'd had the carbs off to clean out the float seats with a twig following a saga with a badly bodged fuel pump... Anyway I couldn't find a comfy drystone wall but at some point I just slumped upright outside a French petrol station somewhere in the North, with helmet still on for warmth. This gave me an extra 5% charge to carry on. The least fun part was hitting the morning rush hour traffic in engerland, at least I'd had a decent half hour beauty rest on the chungle by then.
The funnest part was still managing a bit of the old in and out once ar lass had picked me up off the floor where I'd fancied another slumpery celebration of a rest for managing to get home. Eyyy. Slept for a whole week after that.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:16 - 28 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funnily enough, my longest one was after a night of zero sleep. Having arrived at the hotel after a full day's riding, the room was like an oven, no air conditioning. I had booked three nights, but by the time the morning came around I just decided to bail and go home. The whole tour had been hot, but at least my other hotels along the way had either been a bit cooler or had air conditioning.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lynnnsr
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:53 - 29 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

650 miles from France down into Spain. Nearly killed me. Resolved to limit to 5-6 hours a day after that.

BanditsHigh
Worse than a woman

PostPosted: 20:12 - 31 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paris to Glasgow ... around 680 miles.

The last half hour seemed to last hours ... 35 miles to go doing 70 ... speed watch going on so then 30 miles to go doing 60 ... then 25 miles to go at 50 ... began to feel like it'd always be half an hour to get home!

Nightmare journey ... wet and windy ... took around 12 hours all in.

1200 Bandit.

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 17:32 - 01 Feb 2020    Post subject: Re: Most miles in a day Reply with quote

myvision wrote:
What's the most miles you've done in a day?

We are heading out into Europe this summer and my mate has planned the route with the first day being just north of London to the Eurotunnel and then stopping at Passau Germany around 800 miles.

That's going to be a hard day for me I think.

Based on experience, I'd make the first day a short one because the channel crossing, with all the faffing around, always seems to take longer than you think.

Even if all goes well, from North London to Calais is going to take you 4 or 5 hours (assuming you leave in good time, allow for traffic snarl ups and all that). And then they're an hour in front. So by the time you get off the tunnel you'll already be 6 hours into your day.

For that reason, I'd plan to do no more than 3 or 4 hours once you reach the continent and then break for the night.

The next day you could polish off 5 or 600 miles much more easily.

Trying to do 800 miles on the first day, with the channel crossing and all that, will take you about 20 hours.

Sod that!

Last edited by DJP on 17:40 - 01 Feb 2020; edited 1 time in total

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 17:34 - 01 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
About 1K, ZZR1100 - But that was a "need to get back to the UK, right now" situation, lots of motorways, lots of speeding. If you want to enjoy it, keep it below 500, and ideally around 300 a day. More than that and you're riding to get somewhere, not enjoying getting somewhere.

Yep, 300 is ideal. 500 is doable and more's a chore. Very Happy

SpeedyCBR1100
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:44 - 01 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 750 miles in 14 hours from La Grange Motte in the Carmargue to Romford, when I enjoyed the holiday so much I stayed an extra day and had to get home.

That was some years ago on a Blackbird and my memory tells me les flics didn't police the autoroutes as much as they do now.

I fell into a comfortable rhythm of going fast enough to empty the tank in about an hour, filling up and carrying on. Stopped for food once, I believe.

I had to shout my son to help me off when I got back home, and it didn't really compute that I was on English soil. I was trying to do the speeds I'd been doing in France. It could have ended badly but, fortunately, didn't.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 77 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2