BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Intermittent Spark problem

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:23 - 23 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the outside spinny bit is rubbing against the inside wiring thingy?

Sounds like the engine's suffered from a massive knock in the past and now things don't line up anymore Thinking

Is it the Woodruff key that's sheared? That's not normal Wink

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 11:48 - 23 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the woodruff key alright but it's done more than sheer, its fucked the rotor entirely. The rotor seems have been flapping either side of the woodruff key which is odd.

It'll need a new one of each. Get someone whose slightly mechanically inclined to fit them.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 11:51 - 23 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay2903 wrote:
Any ideas what’s causing it ?

first up the 1 photo means nothing to me. What am I supposed to be seeing?
Moving on, If the inside of the rotor is grinding on a winding on the stator... something isn't running concentric.
Is the stator located correctly? Is the crank bent? Is the main bearing the crank runs on fooked?
The list of possibilities isn't too big.. but the implications of many of them are probably none too palatable....
Has the motor been torn down recently?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Jay2903
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:46 - 23 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:

first up the 1 photo means nothing to me. What am I supposed to be seeing?
Moving on, If the inside of the rotor is grinding on a winding on the stator... something isn't running concentric.
Is the stator located correctly? Is the crank bent? Is the main bearing the crank runs on fooked?
The list of possibilities isn't too big.. but the implications of many of them are probably none too palatable....

I don’t think I’m explaining this very well. As far as I can tell everything’s concentric, the crankshaft is fine and the outside of the rotor hasn’t touched the stator windings at all. What appears to be happening is the inside of the rotor, the area that is scratched up in the image is pushing up against the field coil and the two are grinding together.

Jay2903
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:53 - 23 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

No sure you can see this properly but I don’t think the two blue areas are touching. I think the red area on the rotor is touching the face of the field coil.

I suppose the two possibilities are, the rotor was sitting too far out or the field coil sits too far in.

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:11 - 23 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay2903 wrote:
Teflon-Mike wrote:
The Montesa motors, especially the Cota trials versions with a heavier mag-rotor for slow-running were notorious for sheared keys; I've lost about half a dozen over the years. When 'new' it was usually caused by the rotor not being so carefuly fitted. When old/Resto'd, it was a similar looseness, usually caused by a little surface rust on the rotor and or crank taper, and or looser worn rotor nut.

On resto, the advice was to use a little valve lapping past on the crank-shaft, and spend indeterminate hours working the rotor back and forth on the crank taper to a) get the surfaces properly clean of any surface rust and or crud' b) clean thoroughly with thinners (esp after lapping with valve past) c) To critically fit the rotor onto the crank, which meant using a copper mallet to actually get the rotor to interference fit to the crank taper, rather than merely relying on the pressure made by the, probably worn, rotor nut.

If that's any ideas for you.

Cheers, I’ve been looking at it and I can see the problem.
The inside of the rotor is rubbing against the field coil as you’ll probably be able to see in the image of the rotor. Any ideas what’s causing it ?

(I can’t upload the image of the field coil because the file is too large but that also has scratches like the ones on the rotor)

Check for float and runout on the end of the crank, if all is fine try to reposition the windings

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:49 - 23 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay2903 wrote:
mentalboy wrote:
How's this for a larf, you tell us what machine we're guessing about here and somebody familiar with that model might have some ideas.

If it's a trials then I haven't the foggiest - I know it's definitely not an old Thumper as they didn't have a leccy start and it can't be a mkIII Commando with the nasty Polish starter that never worked.

I think I mentioned earlier, it’s an xs500

Nope, not on this thread. It helps if you mention it at the start of a new thread whenever you post in the workshop.
Had a few of the smaller version, engines were reliable but the electrics were a bag of shite, especially the points, assume the same goes for the 500 or you wouldn't be here!!

What's the drive end of the starter motor look like? I'll wager it's stripped the dog. The fact that the motor is spinning but wouldn't turn over the engine and the rotor/stator grief, sorry to say, points to a bent crank.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 01:05 - 24 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost 20 posts in, we get....
Jay2903 wrote:
2nd thing - what is the spec resistance for a xs500 plug cap.

And have to assume that he wants to know the resistance of an XS500 plug cap, 'cos the bike in question is an XS500....
Even though the question "What Bike?" was asked at least twice, and never answered in the twenty odd posts before... not really doing his best to help us help him, is he?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:23 - 24 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
Jay2903 wrote:

And have to assume that he wants to know the resistance of an XS500 plug cap, 'cos the bike in question is an XS500....
Even though the question "What Bike?" was asked at least twice, and never answered in the twenty odd posts before... not really doing his best to help us help him, is he?

Patience Teff, the o.p. had an iffy spark but now ok, also the plug cap i mentioned was ok but now not ok!

wintelf94
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:51 - 26 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaffa90 wrote:
Teflon-Mike wrote:
Jay2903 wrote:

Patience Teff, the o.p. had an iffy spark but now ok, also the plug cap i mentioned was ok but now not ok!

Perhaps you may consider using a picture to help explain the problem further.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:30 - 26 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why the fuck are teffers and jaffa (firing blanks) 90 worrying about spark plugs when the fucking thing has chewed up the rotor that badly?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 62 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2