Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Banking and banking charges. A LOOOOONG rant.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:26 - 17 Jan 2020    Post subject: Banking and banking charges. A LOOOOONG rant. Reply with quote

Is anyone here in the banking industry and can explain overdraft charges?

I got a letter from my bank stating new terms and conditions which would usually get a cursory glance and the binned however something caught my eye with this. This was Nationwide.

It was overdraft charges and stated that if you use your arranged overdraft you would be liable to a yearly interest rate of 39% on the amount you are 'borrowing' Ok, a bit steep but it seems to have become pretty normal across the board looking at other banks.

Now I have a large arranged overdraft that has carried over from when I was at sea and still use it as it's easier than bothering with credit cards at times. At 39% from the off that habit will have to change. Evil or Very Mad

Reading the blurb however if you go overdrawn with an unauthorised overdraft you don't incur charges. WTF?

I've looked at other banks and this is the same so I suppose it's new laws or guidelines or whatever.

So what is to stop me removing the arranged overdraft and then, if I go overdrawn I don't get charged. The only thing I can think of is that the bank just won't let you, bouncing anything that will take you overdrawn.

It seems they have lost that revenue stream and are charging conscientious bank users to make up for it.

And while I'm on a banking moan, Santander are reducing their current account interest rate to 1% in May. That's down from 3% when I opened the account. At that rate I'll hardly cover the £5 a month account fee, robbing b@stards.

Time to try and find another account.

Suggestions for a non robbing bank that will pay at least a bit of interest for instant access accounts would be well appreciated.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:54 - 17 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overdraft thing maybe industrywide i had similar from HSBC.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:14 - 17 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two things:

1) If you don't go overdrawn, you won't incur any overdraft fees.

2) Why the hell are you paying for a bank account? What do they give you over an above normal banking services to justify that £5 charge?

What it comes down to is they changed the regs for "charges" for unarranged overdrafts because people could go overdrawn by a couple of pounds and immediately incur £100 in fees. They were doing this every month getting into a debt spiral. When you calculate the APR of that transaction it's huge. So the banks are making up for the loss in fees revenue by bumping the interest rate. If you go into an unauthorised overdraft, you don't get charged but the interest rate is punative.

What confuses me is why we have an unarranged overdraft thing anyway. If there is no money in my bank, I shouldn't be able to take any out.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:21 - 17 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
What confuses me is why we have an unarranged overdraft thing anyway. If there is no money in my bank, I shouldn't be able to take any out.

Money for the bank disguised as customer convenience.

The Boy has a Lloyd's account for under-19s that works as you describe.

I agree with you.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:32 - 17 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Two things:

2) Why the hell are you paying for a bank account? What do they give you over an above normal banking services to justify that £5 charge?

When I opened that Santander account they were giving 3% interest on amounts up to £20000. On a current account that was unheard of and well worth the £5 fee when I had between 5 and 10 grand in the account.

Now they are reducing it to 1% which as I said in the rant, hardly covers the £5 a month fee and I'll be better off moving to a different account.

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:47 - 17 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Why the hell are you paying for a bank account? What do they give you over an above normal banking services to justify that £5 charge?

Because I get European breakdown cover for whatever vehicle of whatever age with my current account. Most places won’t touch my 30 year old ZZR cover wise (ironic really as it’s the most reliable bike I’ve ever had!). The year before last I took four different vehicles into Europe so was ideal in my opinion!
I’ve not had reason to try it out when abroad yet (fortunately) but I have had cause to use it in the UK and found it worked well enough...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:38 - 17 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need to remind our banks that they don't actually have any £money.

It's OUR £money. All of it.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:14 - 17 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st off the rant should be at the FCA who told banks that they can no longer charge a daily fee for o/d (despite agreeing to this in the 1st place as it was cheaper for customers)
FCA don't know their arse from their elbow at times.

As to charges on arranged o/d. It appears that some banks are going to stop payments that take you over your limit. Thus you may incur charges from a provider rather than the bank. Others are limiting charges on unauthorised o/d .Hsbc is £20.

A overdraft is about the most expensive of borrowing money. As well as a bank can request it is immediately repaid at any time.

Best bet now if living in a O/D is to pay it off (loan will be cheaper) and get rid.

JackButler. If you live in your money, then charges are not a issue. Borrow money that is not yours. Then expect to pay for it......
You don't like banks, then stick it under the bed....

Banking in the UK is a lot cheaper than most other countries. Who charge for everything...

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:03 - 17 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:

JackButler. If you live in your money, then charges are not a issue. Borrow money that is not yours. Then expect to pay for it......
You don't like banks, then stick it under the bed....

Banking in the UK is a lot cheaper than most other countries. Who charge for everything...

I think you misunderstand me. I've borrowed so much money over the years that I eventually turned it around & had the bank thinking my way out of their necessity.

If someone goes overdrawn & is penalised to the tune of £100's, then where is my opposite reward for having a positive balance?

Again, banks don't have any £money. It is OUR £money.

And who exactly is "most other countries"?

I did a lot of financing in the Sharia systems of the middle east & the big 5 families hated me for that. If you care to discuss it further then get ready . . .

I long for the day that the blockchain renders them totally obsolete.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:03 - 17 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will soon be going back to cash only transactions and hiding it under the bed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:19 - 18 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
We will soon be going back to cash only transactions and hiding it under the bed.

I get the feeling they are going to try and do away with cash at some point.

The authorities will love it. Easy to track people.
The government will love it, no more expensive banknotes to make. HMRC will love it, no more cash in hand work.
Banks will love it. Close all the branches and get rid of the tellers.
Most people wouldn't give a toss as they use cards/phone for everything.

It's coming.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:30 - 18 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ This. I'm of the same thinking Polarbear. The population is being drowned under so many types of borrowing and leasing. The longer it goes on, the more accepting people will be when it comes to it happening.
Cash might not be king in the future but I do look forward to a bartering system.

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 16:10 - 25 Jan 2020    Post subject: Re: Banking and banking charges. A LOOOOONG rant. Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Is anyone here in the banking industry and can explain overdraft charges?

It was overdraft charges and stated that if you use your arranged overdraft you would be liable to a yearly interest rate of 39% on the amount you are 'borrowing' Ok, a bit steep but it seems to have become pretty normal across the board looking at other banks.

Now I have a large arranged overdraft that has carried over from when I was at sea and still use it as it's easier than bothering with credit cards at times. At 39% from the off that habit will have to change. Evil or Very Mad

Reading the blurb however if you go overdrawn with an unauthorised overdraft you don't incur charges. WTF?

So what is to stop me removing the arranged overdraft and then, if I go overdrawn I don't get charged. The only thing I can think of is that the bank just won't let you, bouncing anything that will take you overdrawn.

No charges for an unarranged overdraft doesn't mean no 39%. It means no additional charge of £50 for writing to tell you that have gone overdrawn or beyond your previously arranged limit. That was then added to the 13p you had already gone overdrawn by. Meaning that instead of being overdrawn by 13p , you are now overdrawn by £50.13, all at 39% interest.

Beacause they aren't allowed to charge for the letters any more the interest rate has gone up instead.

Lloyds have made theirs ' simpler' in that they charge you 1p per day for every £6.00 you are overdrawn . Yeah that is simple isnt it, an idiot could understand that, and it's nothing is it a penny?

Except that if you were overdrawn £6.00 for a year, then the interest would be, a penny a day..365 days... £3.65. What! On £6.00,...... but hang on, I hear you say, thats over 50% interest . Yes , so it is, it's 60.83 fucking percent actually. Not so trivial if you owe a grand or two......

Last edited by steve the grease on 16:38 - 25 Jan 2020; edited 3 times in total

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:20 - 25 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have I missed something here? Surely this is a non event, don't want to pay, don't go everdrawn

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:50 - 25 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Have I missed something here? Surely this is a non event, don't want to pay, don't go everdrawn

This.

Overdrafts are one of the worst ways to borrow money. There are a few reasonable introductory rate credit cards out there which work for short term borrowing and will help your credit rating, unlike going overdrawn.

Or just save up for everything.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:09 - 25 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ I understand the comment but in my case it was just easier to use the arranged overdraft in my 'normal' account than to move money from one to another.

OK I'm being lazy but when you have numerous accounts with the same bank and surplus money in those accounts earning a pittance of 0.5%, I think I'm entitled to moan about the 39% charges.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:45 - 25 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

OK I'm being lazy but when you have numerous accounts with the same bank and surplus money in those accounts earning a pittance of 0.5%, I think I'm entitled to moan about the 39% charges.

Stop being so lazy and move the money and make a save a few £.

While your at it. Get the O/D reset to zero.

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 13:37 - 27 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never mind 39% more good news for the indebted:https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/jan/22/lloyds-halifax-bank-of-scotland-charge-overdraft-rate-of-up-to-49-per-cent

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:54 - 27 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite Wonga territory but getting there.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:37 - 27 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

I get the feeling they are going to try and do away with cash at some point.

The government will love it, no more expensive banknotes to make. HMRC will love it, no more cash in hand work.

It's coming.

... and the problem there is?? Sounds like the perfect advert for going cashless, bring it on.

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:06 - 27 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Polarbear"]
Skudd wrote:

It's coming.

The authorities love it. - They know how much you earn and can get a bigger slice.
The government will love it. - They know how much you earn and can get a bigger slice.
HMRC love it. - They know how much you earn and can get a bigger slice.
Banks will love it. - They know how much you earn and can get a bigger slice.

Most people wouldn't give a toss as they use cards/phone for everything, are shite at maths, and live in their social media phone world.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 22:26 - 27 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

It takes me less than ten seconds to transfer money between my savings account and my current account using an app.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 22:34 - 27 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

GettinBetter wrote:
The authorities love it. - They know how much you earn and can get a bigger slice.
The government will love it. - They know how much you earn and can get a bigger slice.
HMRC love it. - They know how much you earn and can get a bigger slice.
Banks will love it. - They know how much you earn and can get a bigger slice.

Most people wouldn't give a toss as they use cards/phone for everything, are shite at maths, and live in their social media phone world.

Why would they get a bigger slice? They would only get a bigger slice if the people in question are evading tax. I for one cannot evade tax due to the way I earn money. I however have been close to someone who worked for the HMRC and I've also collected details for gift aid at charity events, and the number of people who have brand new range rovers, enormous houses etc but 'don't pay any income tax so can't set up gift aid'.

Cashless will benefit all the law abiding, and not benefit those who avoid tax. You can't really moan about austerity on one hand and then avoid tax on the other.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:37 - 28 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Not quite Wonga territory but getting there.

But the system they use now with a daily charge. It was actually cheaper to use Wonga for £100 over 30 days, than it was to be in the same debt with Halifax...
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 79 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1