Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 05:52 - 20 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lone-Wolf wrote:
Wotcha.

When all else fails, out comes the box . . . . .

https://www.moonshiners.org.uk/showme/ommers.jpg

We call it "Percussion Engineering" & it forms a large part of any mechanical apprenticeship.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:14 - 20 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
ThatDippyTwat wrote:
A half-decent socket set. Currently a Halfords Advanced 1/4" and 1/2" assortment. They just work.

Halfords Advanced is really good... but at least it's cheap.

It's a bit late now, but they're usually half price around Crimbo. Lifetime warranty as well - Just had the 1/4" ratchet handle swapped out, no questions asked. I also don't let people take them away from the house any more, as it was returned in a fucked condition.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:34 - 20 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

At work I have favourite tools depending on the area I'm in at the time.
I have a go-to dent lifting bar with interchangeable tips when I'm in the paint shop.
In the body shop I have a wooden body dreadnought file which doubles up as a multitude of tools.
In general assembly there are way too many handy tools to mention but the ones I pop in my pocket at the start of the shift are a little snap-on ratchet with a 10mm socket on it plus a 6mm tap.

At home my Titan lithium ion drill gets a lot of use but I have an old favourite long shaft pozi with a nice comfortable handle with which you can really bully a stubborn screw.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:26 - 20 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Favourite? Probably my Metrinch wall drive socket set I picked up in the States. Great on Enfields, where it's random whether you're going to come across Imperial or Metric.

Worst? Maybe my torque wrench. I expect a nice positive click when it's triggered, but I get a half arsed "tink", so I end up not using it.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:49 - 20 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
Favourite? Probably my Metrinch wall drive socket set I picked up in the States. Great on Enfields, where it's random whether you're going to come across Imperial or Metric.

So much this as a favourite. I bought a set of Metrinch sockets and combination spanners from RS components in the 90s - they've helped me out of many a tight corner.

Least favourite? Screw extractors.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:29 - 20 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favourite tool has to be a Snap on breaker bar about 800mm long with a half inch drive, this has resolved many a problem on both bikes and cars.
Bought it second hand on a market stall ages ago, paid £2 for it! Very Happy

My least favourite tool is not related to bikes or cars, it's a wood working jigsaw.
I hate these with a passion, probably the least accurate tool ever invented! Mad

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:38 - 20 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:

And even if you do know what it's supposed to be, it's invariably so badly made it doesn't actually fit the correct spanner anyway... Then when you've rounded it out and bought a quality replacement, it doesn't fit because the thread is so poorly cut.

I now have a good selection of BSCy taps and dies for this exact reason.

When I bought new fork lowers for my 612 project, I just drilled and helicoiled all the threads as soon as I got them out of the box. Saves time later.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 22:45 - 20 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Favourite is the cordless drill. It speeds up lots of jobs because I can spin my 1/4" extension in there. Makes doing up crankcase bolts very quick.

Least favourite - just about any form of bearing puller, I have a box full of them, every type you could imagine, but I still frequently don't have the right one. Even when I do, pulling bearings or shells is horrible. Something very hard being an interference fit into something softer, with years of corrosion and shite behind and around it.

Blah blah
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:04 - 21 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Favourite is my clarke plug-in impact wrench, who needs a breaker bar? Rachet spanners came a close second and in third, the flat head screw driver that I've had for years, have no idea where it came from and is so abused that the end is now round (but still useful for hammering into places, removing seals, stirring paint etc etc)

Least has got to be the circlip pliers with the changeable ends, every time I use them, I remember just how completely rubbish they are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:00 - 22 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

In their defence the only thing worse than circlip pliers is not having circlip pliers Laughing

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:23 - 22 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a clear out and binned a metric tap and die set I impulse bought offn the bay
( I really ought to know better by now FFS it's embarrassing)
It's such useless cheap shite I dont hate anyone enough to give it to them
and I'd better get rid of it before someone sees it and this happens

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.giphy.com%2Fmedia%2F3ohzdIFf2x1BcQXcli%2Fsource.gif&f=1&nofb=1

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:14 - 22 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dremel. Love it.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:08 - 22 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pigeon wrote:
Dremel. Love it.

Ah yes, that is handy.

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:43 - 22 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Favourites, Expensive German T bar Allen Keys. Least favourite, poxy 3 legged pullers that fall to bits and come loose and you lose all the bits eventually.

OGR

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:00 - 23 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fave tools are these super wrenches

https://toolmonger.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/super-wrench-4-piece-set.jpg

They grip anything. It doesn't matter if a nut is rounded, these fuckers will grip regardless. They're cheap and each wrench fits a variety of nut sizes.

Here's a guy demonstrating them gripping a metal pipe

https://perez.ph/blog/uploaded_images/super-wrench-demo-s-764279.jpg

Least fave tool is my shitty cheap socket set. The steel seems to move and slip. Hate them.... really need to buy some new ones but keep forgetting.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:48 - 23 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it's the oil filter socket set. Had it donkeys years and used it on cars and bikes. Not so much of a problem on some bikes (although the sockets make quick work of it), but I've had cars where the manufacturer has decided to place the oil filter behind the engine or some other equally ridiculous location where trying to get a grip on it is hard, let alone the (ill advised) technique of skewering it with a screwdriver.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:11 - 23 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new least favourite tool Whistle

https://www.mototirefinder.com

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:06 - 24 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Least: Chain splitter/riveter. Fucked on first use.

Best: Puncture repair kit.

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:26 - 27 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most useful tool,other than the compressor,the parts wash bin,the Myford ML7 lathe,the hydraulic ramps,the bench vice etc,is my 'SUN' engine analyser.This has a scope for following signals from crank sensors to ECUs,an amps clamp for testing charging current and cranking amps,battery volts tester at rest and under load and a clamp for checking the firing pulses from the coil to spark plug.A sound investment from a few years ago.

My least useful tool is a strap version for loosening spin on oil filters for the car.Absolutely rubbish Thumbs Down

But then there is the chain alignmebnt tool that is supposed to correctly align your back wheel.It clamps to the rear sprocket then a rod points along the chain run towards the front sprocket.When I first bought it everything always pointed in the right direction.Then I tried badly misaligning the back wheel and the tool still told me all was okay.This is now relegated to the bottom drawer full of rarely used tools.Another rubbish tool Thumbs Down

Always have a 'Plan B'

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:16 - 29 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best
1. Irwin bolt grips - never failed to remove rusty rounded nuts
2. Compressor - can change own tyres, multiple uses, paid for itself
3. Good quality drill bits & taps
4. Halfords lifetime warranty socket set - returned a couple of bits over 5 years no trouble
5. An adjustable base vise

Shittest
1. Crappy cheap taps
2. Shitty drill bits
3. Any cordless tools, never charged when required, batteries are consumables (lock-in obsolescence scam!)
4. MIG welder, it's not bad but I wish I'd gone TIG
5. Cheapo chain tools, avoid

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:05 - 01 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best is between:
Wm240 lathe
lidl lipo screw driver
aldi bandsaw
1/4" draper ratchets (3 of them!) that I cut off to become stubby, then ground the head as small possible to get in tight holes.

Worst is the tyre bead breaker, the most useless shit I had to return. Not tried my Stenor one yet, if it works it'll go in the list above.
Valve installing handle, no good on a bike wheel.
Compressor. Too fecking big and noisey, should have got a small one as I only use on tyres.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:50 - 01 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honorary mention for my new 1" planishing hammer - so fecking cute Wub

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:07 - 02 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

fave my electric drill had it for an 19th prezzie and still use it

honerable mention goes to my screwfix spanners that I had same time and still use

least fave has to be my battery drill/screwdriver as I have to charge it everytime I need it

its not fucked its just the way it was new

also 10mm socket as its a sneaky fecker and hides

defblade
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:57 - 03 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:

also 10mm socket as its a sneaky fecker and hides

https://shop.carthrottle.com/collections/t-shirts/products/missing-t-shirt

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:18 - 03 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
A new least favourite tool Whistle

https://www.mototiredflinder.com

Spammer!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 77 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3