Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

LEDs vs conventional bulbs / voltage draw

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

andy_daytona650
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:12 - 02 Jan 2020    Post subject: LEDs vs conventional bulbs / voltage draw Reply with quote

Happy new year guys.

Any guys here using LED bulbs? Looking at all possible ways to reduce voltage draw on my Triumph (2 x H4 headlamps).

Wondered if anyone has any experience or knows if the power usage is notably less with LEDs headlamps compared to conventional bulbs?

Cheers, Andy

Last edited by andy_daytona650 on 14:22 - 27 Jan 2020; edited 2 times in total

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 13:17 - 02 Jan 2020    Post subject: Re: LEDs vs conventional bulbs / voltage draw Reply with quote

andy_daytona650 wrote:
Happy new guys.

Any guys here using LED bulbs? Looking at all possible ways to reduce voltage draw on my Triumph (2 x H4 headlamps). Ongoing saga.

Wondered if anyone has any experience or knows if the power usage is notably less with LEDs headlamps compared to conventional bulbs?

Cheers, Andy

Voltage? Hoe are you going to successfully reduce the voltage. If the bike is 12v, everything will draw 12v.

You actually mean power draw which is based on current drawn and is measured in amps.

(Yes, I know power is current times voltage but he can't realistically reduce the voltage)

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:49 - 02 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Nobby says, the voltage is the constant, the current is the variable here.

LED bulbs are very much lower current (and therefore power) however they give a very different kind of light and need a different reflector if you are talking about main/dipped beam.

I have all LED's on my boat and have to say I am not keen on the light they give off. My Jag has LED headlights but of course it was built like that so there are no issues.

As an aside, the MK council have been replacing the sodium (yellow) street lights with LED's. They are horrible. Dazzling when underneath and no light spread.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:51 - 02 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked up a couple of H4 LED lamps and they both claimed 20W power draw. A H4 halogen bulb is 55W on dipped and 60W on main beam, so you're running at less than half the power draw. Lower current will also mean the cables are less resistive in use.

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:09 - 02 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://pics.me.me/people-with-led-headlights-everyone-else-on-the-road-0-43746378.png
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:16 - 02 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The single H4 LED bulb I have on my big enfield draws 1.6A. So yeah, about 20w compared to 55w standard.

The light is good and beam spread is fine with a standard reflector.

Some things worth bearing in mind:

1) They often come with quite a bit of electronic jiggery-pokery which adds to bulk. Some have it on the bulb, some have it as a seperate "pack" (about half the size of a fag packet) which connects to the bulb with a flying lead. I'd recommend the latter for a bike where space can be tight, you can usually find somewhere to tuck the pack away.

2) They have a heat-sink and/or fan. The design of these can make the bulb stick out in places an standard one wouldn't. Again, in a tight space, they don't necessarily fit so be mindful of this. For example, the first attempt I had at fitting one fouled the speedo cable which runs directly behind the headlamp, I had to fit a wider headlamp rim to accommodate it.

3) the bulb itself may need to be focused. They sometimes have a detachable back-plate and you need to tweak the angle the bulb sits at in this plate to get a beam pattern. Mine was rubbish when I fitted it, I pointed it at a white wall and slowly rotated the bulb and it suddenly threw a perfect and sharply focused beam pattern.

4) [url=https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/collections/headlight-led-bulbs/products/latest-led-headlight-h4-motorcycle
The one I fitted and am happy with cost £33[/url]. You can get Chinese ones for a fiver on ebay. If anyone tells you LED headlamps are rubbish, find out which they had!

andy_daytona650
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:19 - 02 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all.

I'm aware the 12v remains the same, I meant the power draw, the root cause here however is the Triumph charging issues.

For example, when both headlights are on as usual, and the fan kicks in (as it often does in traffic), the bike cannot charge enough and cuts out. However if I pull out just one of the two headlamps, the bike can charge OK. Therefore seeking lower power use to the electrics.

Having two LED front head lamps may be a temp resolution before I buy yet another regulator and stator (4th since ownership!!!!).

Appreciate the input and views as ever.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:45 - 02 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy_daytona650 wrote:
when both headlights are on as usual, and the fan kicks in (as it often does in traffic), the bike cannot charge enough and cuts out.

To me, that sounds rather odd.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:14 - 02 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy_daytona650 wrote:
Thanks all.

I'm aware the 12v remains the same, I meant the power draw, the root cause here however is the Triumph charging issues.

For example, when both headlights are on as usual, and the fan kicks in (as it often does in traffic), the bike cannot charge enough and cuts out. However if I pull out just one of the two headlamps, the bike can charge OK. Therefore seeking lower power use to the electrics.

Having two LED front head lamps may be a temp resolution before I buy yet another regulator and stator (4th since ownership!!!!).

Appreciate the input and views as ever.

Sounds like at least one of your chargIng coils have failed.

Fix the cause not the symptom.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:31 - 02 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, what he said.
If the charging system cant run the lights and fan without shitting
the bed, you have a bad charging system.
I'd fix that first

Even if you fitted leds to reduce current draw
the reg/rec would have to dissipate even more excess power
from the stator as heat and if the RRs are as flakey as rumoured this will stress them even more.

Heat is the enemy of most electronics
keep em cool keep em happy

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:34 - 02 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you're running projectors and can focus the beam from those LEDs, please don't use them. You'll be blinding everyone coming the other way, same as those people who throw HIDs in their cars using normal reflector headlights. You'll likely fail MOT too Wink

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:23 - 02 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
Unless you're running projectors and can focus the beam from those LEDs, please don't use them. You'll be blinding everyone coming the other way, same as those people who throw HIDs in their cars using normal reflector headlights. You'll likely fail MOT too Wink

Depends what you get. Mine had a perfect beam pattern on the tester. More so than most conventional bulbs with a near straight-line dip cut-off. So markedly so that the tester actually commented on it.

It's when you put it on full beam that it blinds people.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:06 - 02 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I've had more luck with the "daymaker" sort than individual bulbs.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:38 - 02 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I changed all the bulbs in my hoose from halogen/tungsten filament to LEDs.
I measured the current via an econ meter clamped around an incoming phase before and after.
I can't even measure the current that the LEDs use.
Nothing to do with motorbikes. 🤣

https://youtu.be/CX_uFs5vKc0

Last edited by MCN on 19:40 - 02 Jan 2020; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:40 - 02 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

As said, find the root cause. However, if you have to replace your bulbs, then This.
Easy-X wrote:
Personally I've had more luck with the "daymaker" sort than individual bulbs.

If you can run a round/conventional style headlamp, then get a Daymaker clone to replace it. They're designed to not blind people, anything half decent will eb E-marked, so even anal testers will be happy. Prices are not mental, and you won't blind anyone with even rudimentary aim of the unit.

Depends on your bike though. A round healight may look fine on a Rocket 3, but a touch out of place on a Daytona.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:35 - 02 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
Depends on your bike though. A round healight may look fine on a Rocket 3, but a touch out of place on a Daytona.

Good point, I only consider classic bike looks; not going to work for a sports bike.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 23:48 - 02 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you could fix the problem. The problem is the fucked stator plate.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 02:12 - 03 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fix the problem, not the symptom, again.
Though I'd start with a nice new battery, before looking deeper at things like the regulator or stator.
Batteries loose charge holding capacity with time, so if it's not staying charged, or devices are sucking more amps than genny makes, that's the most likely suspect.
As for LED headlamp bulbs... I was looking at these recently... a-n-d they is a mine-field.
An HID is essentially an arc lamp; the light comes from what is effectively a spark-plug in a neon tube; they generally have about a 35W power-draw compared to a conventional 55w tungsten, so a saving of around 30% on power draw, whilst they may make 10x the lumins of light, so be brighter. Problems come with the light colour and pattern, because the light isn't made in the same geographic location as a tungsten bulb, hence issues with beam pattern, particularly with reflectors designed for an incandescent bulb.
LED head-lamp bulbs suffer the same niggles multiplied, depending on the actual bulb design, and whilst they have managed to up the lumins that an LED may deliver to compete with incandescent or HID bulbs, most have employed an over-load of XS philosophy to the matter so that top get light where its wanted... they just chuck out more light... which brings issues with the electronics overheating, so that the lamps need big heat-sinks and or fans to keep them cool... and that rather defeats a lot of the efficiency saving, and they are having to draw big current again, to both get the light, and get the heat-out.
My conclusion, was that for all the hype... over how much 'better' an LED bulb may be.... I don't think that they are there yet.. a-n-d to work and work well, the whole lamp probably aught to be designed a) for motorcycle use and b) to be an LED type light maker from the off.... using after-market widgets and lens/reflectors.... you are having to start from scratch doing what the OEM would, without the luxuary of gazillion quid super-computers or the ability to make 'optimised' and matched bulbs or lens/reflector units....
I have had 'some' success in the past with HID bulbs, either in lens/reflectors designed for incandescent bulbs or in 'diamond' type lens/reflectors optimised 'better' for them.... b-u-t...
On 'The Pup' we used an HID headlamp to find 20W of power saving, LED tail-lamp and indy bulbs for some more... b-u-t.... almost hald the current draw saving we found came 'JUST' from swapping out the back-lights and tell-tale lamps behind the speedo and rev-counter for LED's..... I think that there are around 5 bulbs there each in OEM incandescent form sucking 15W each; off-the-shelf LED replacements drew something like 1W between them, compared to 60w for the incandescents, so saved as much power draw as having NO headlamp draw what-so ever!
B-U-T.... symptoms vs disease.... we did it on the Pup, because a) we were re-wiring the thing anyway, b) Snowie is a gadget freak, and we needed to free up amps for her Sat-Nav and phone, and c) its a little 125 with a pretty small genny and battery to start with, and she was using it for a lot of short hops between care-in-the-home calls, that didn't give the charging system much opportunity to bung coulombs back in the battery after each time she sucked them out with the starter-motor!
Soooooooooo
Whats the kind of riding regime? Does the geny have much opportunity to recharge the battery after its been sucked dry by the starter? It it a fairly east starter? Would you be best off starting there, and looking at things like a service and new spark-plugs so it don't take so much cranking to get going? How worn out is the starter? Would it benefit from new brushes and a bit of grease so its not sucking so many amps when it is cranking? What about the solenoid? Is that all pitted and corroded from having to handle so many extra amps sucked by a tired starter, and so higher resistance than it aught to be sucking more amps still, meaning more draw on start up and longer draw from longer cranking?
As suggested, reducing the headlamp draw could be a red-herring assumption, masking the real culprit here.
It 'Should' do the job and the battery shouldn't go flat; OEM has gazillion quids worth of computators and spent thousands of hours on R&D so it works when its in the show-room and for as long as the warranty is valid... are you trying to stick a band aid over a gaping arterial would but more, trying to re-invent the band aid to do so!
Start with the battery; give it a set of sparkers and a service, then work from there.... and headlamp conversions 'shouild' really be at the bottom of the list and icing on the cake IF everything else is working as it should first.. if not, it's likely just extra hassle and more problems on top of them you already have.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Luckyfish133
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:40 - 03 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Or you could fix the problem. The problem is the fucked stator plate.

Haha yeah, had a few problems with the stator on my 650 as well - couldn't quite pin it down but it seemed to be a combo of low-current rated wires on the stator fly-lead + the heat coming off the engine block probably de-rated the current capacity of the wires even further...not sure what else could have caused 2 burnt stators with melting fly-leads within 10,000 miles on a completely stock bike...

BTW, the stator being fooked doesn't imply that the regrec also needs replacing...

andy_daytona650
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:46 - 28 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

To follow up on this, replaced the stator as burnt out again (third time).

Experimented with LEDs, whilst the draw was marginally lower, they looked terrible. Back to conventional bulbs.

Appreciate people's input.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:48 - 28 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy_daytona650 wrote:
To follow up on this, replaced the stator as burnt out again (third time).

Experimented with LEDs, whilst the draw was marginally lower, they looked terrible. Back to conventional bulbs.

Appreciate people's input.

Thanks for getting back to us Thumbs Up Always good to round off a story Smile

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 12:21 - 28 Jan 2020    Post subject: Re: LEDs vs conventional bulbs / voltage draw Reply with quote

everyone wrote:

Amps not voltage!

Being pedantic - you can reduce the amount the voltage is lowered by using less amps - as pulling too much will decrease the voltage where your current is limited.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:47 - 28 Jan 2020    Post subject: Re: LEDs vs conventional bulbs / voltage draw Reply with quote

G wrote:
everyone wrote:

Amps not voltage!

Being pedantic - you can reduce the amount the voltage is lowered by using less amps - as pulling too much will decrease the voltage where your current is limited.

Resistance is Futile.

In a 12V system it's the futiles that matter least.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 86 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1