Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Shipping container to protect from theft and wind?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

nighteyeswolf
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:00 - 31 Jan 2020    Post subject: Shipping container to protect from theft and wind? Reply with quote

Hello!,

I'm a new rider, and have a little Honda Vision 110. My partner has been riding for a long time and has a PCX125. We currently keep them parked in our car parking space within our new build apartment block (which is gated). However, my partner's bike got nicked the other day, and mine fell down in the awful winds we've been having (we're in Scotland).

It feels like a motorcycle storage shed would be a good solution for this - can anyone give any advice on a good supplier or things to consider? I'm wondering if we'd want there to be ground anchors inside too, and/or an alarmed door?

The car parking space is around 325cm by 235cm.

The other option is just getting a couple of good ground anchors installed but I don't think that would protect enough from the wind.

I've seen a lot of global posts on this topic where repliers just mock the OP for having a small scooter, or where they don't believe that wind could blow over a scooter/bike, so I'd rather you don't reply if it's just to say that Wink

Thank you so much!

EDIT: Changed to clarify wording, previously said "shipping/storage container" but I do mean a specific metal thing designed for motorcycles.

Last edited by nighteyeswolf on 13:36 - 31 Jan 2020; edited 1 time in total

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:08 - 31 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old container might be a bit unsightly, have you considered an asgard motorbike shed, or similar. I have one of theri smaller ones for our pushbikes, nice & secure

https://www.garden-security.co.uk/motorbike-shed.aspx

https://www.leisurebuildings.com/product/safestore-silver-marsden-9ft-long-pent-metal-motorbike-garage/

https://www.trimetals.co.uk/protect-a-bike/

https://www.asgardsss.co.uk/motorcycle-storage

nighteyeswolf
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:11 - 31 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the kind of thing I was thinking of - thanks for the links Smile

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:28 - 31 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

20 foot standard shipping container would be too big for your space.

This would fit though

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8ft-New-ISO-Containers-Green-Ex-London-Depot/383137810397?hash=item5934cb07dd:g:EfQAAOSwhehdcOWQ

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:47 - 31 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to check that you're allowed to put a shipping container in the space. I wouldn't be in the least surprised if someone complained to the building committee (or whatever it is you have to manage building maintenance) when a rusty looking container gets dropped in the car park of the nice new build.

My preference might be for a container as they seem more soildly built, although condensation might be an issue and certainly putting the bike away wet into a sealed container isn't ideal which means cutting in some vent holes etc.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:50 - 31 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

A small shipping container will be much more robust than a tin shed. Also the doors are much easier to secure, and open much wider for access

However, you'll need to arrange delivery, but they only weigh about a ton, so that shouldn't be too hard.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:53 - 31 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:
You might want to check that you're allowed to put a shipping container in the space.

I would guess that for shipping container read shed re where you can place it. The tin shed would be subject to the same rules.

nighteyeswolf
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:55 - 31 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think maybe I'm still not being clear - you can get shipping containers have had been specifically modified to use as storage for motorcycles.

Good point re the parking space, we've asked the factors, who run the building.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:01 - 31 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
I would guess that for shipping container read shed re where you can place it. The tin shed would be subject to the same rules.

I completely agree, however I don't see many (sheds or containers) in shared use car parks which is why I suggested checking that it's not going to be an issue.

nighteyeswolf wrote:
you can get shipping containers have had been specifically modified to use as storage for motorcycles

Interesting. I've not seen those around, I'm intrigued as to what mods they do.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:25 - 31 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
jnw010 wrote:
You might want to check that you're allowed to put a shipping container in the space.

Never had any condensation in the asgard shed we use for keeping the push bikes in, they are vented

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:03 - 01 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

A word of warning about shipping containers:
On North Tyneside a council estate was being upgraded - pointing walls, wall tie replacement, new windows etc. Workers brought generators, grinders and all related power tools. A small compound was made on a grassed part of the estate and shipping containers used for storage.
Basically, those lovely unemployed residents had been watching for several days and wanted the power tools. They'd already spotted a weak spot and set to work one night. They used large bolt cutters to peel open the container to steal the contents. Almost silent, no sparks.
All types of storage can be raided..

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:45 - 01 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your partner's bike was nicked from a gated community? Where do you live, Easterhouse??? I might be looking at relocating if that were me!!

As mentioned in the above post, it seems like you might have trouble detering theiving scrotes if they can get a bike out of a gated community. It sounds like the more you spend to park something secure in your space, the more money you'll have pissed down the drain when it gets broken into.
So looking from a wind only perspective, on the cheap, with a bit of added security, how's about something along the lines of a bicycle rack bolted to the surface - using something that leaves no raised detritus when you move on, should keep the landlord/owner's co-op happy. I would have thought that putting a shed on a dedicated car space in a private car park would raise concerns of eyesore, etc from nosey NIMBY's.

Last edited by mentalboy on 23:41 - 02 Feb 2020; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:38 - 02 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're so not going to be allowed to put a shipping container or a metal motorbike shed thing in the parking space. Laughing

Before making any plans, check the deeds for the property as there'll be covenants stating what you can and can't do.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:12 - 02 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
20 foot standard shipping container would be too big for your space.

This would fit though

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8ft-New-ISO-Containers-Green-Ex-London-Depot/383137810397?hash=item5934cb07dd:g:EfQAAOSwhehdcOWQ

Collection only.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 77 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1