Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

First bike - KTM Duke 790?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

d3s3
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:20 - 09 Feb 2020    Post subject: First bike - KTM Duke 790? Reply with quote

Hi all,

Firstly I know you probably get loads of posts asking about first bikes, so any replies are especially appreciated.

Background: 41yo male, about to (hopefully) pass test. 6"1' but fairly slim. Not had a motorbike before, but fairly extensive experience with cars and karts on track and hold a pilots license, so good general motor vehicle skills. Learning on a CB650F and quite comfortable with that, although find it a bit of a lump.

Been doing extensive research and decided a naked middleweight will suit my needs, which will be mainly weekend fun with a bit of commuting and the odd longer journey. MT07 was an option, although having sat on one it feels a bit small for me. Duke 790 looks amazing on paper pretty much in every aspect, and felt very nice from onboard.

Naturally was waiting until I've passed and hoping to have some test rides, however my local KTM dealer are knocking out the 2019 790 cheaper than second hand bikes to shift stock - they're going quick and aren't many left, so I'm finding it very hard to resist putting a deposit down... So, two questions:

1) Is the 790 suitable for a beginner? I know this is subjective, depends how much I turn the throttle etc, but just after general opinions from those wiser than me! All the reviews I've seen say it's easy to ride and calm when you want it to be, but it is a lot of bike. I'm pretty sensible and will happily keep it in rain mode until I'm more comfortable.

2) Would it be stupid to buy a bike without having ridden it? The 790 ticks all the boxes, it's lightweight, looks great, plenty quick enough, loads of tech, extremely well reviewed etc. Normally I'd be happy to wait but if it's the right bike for me I don't want to miss out on this deal.

Thanks Very Happy

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:18 - 09 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you at least sat on it? Get two guys from the dealership on each end of the bike, make some vroom-vroom noises and simulate some leans...

...who needs test rides!

d3s3
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:23 - 09 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Have you at least sat on it? Get two guys from the dealership on each end of the bike, make some vroom-vroom noises and simulate some leans...

...who needs test rides!

Laughing Yeah sat on it and made vrrrm noises! Very comfortable, suits my frame nicely, much better than the MT07 and the CB650. Love the look, love the tech it comes with lots to keep me safe, love the TFT display.

It’s a bit more than I wanted to spend on a first bike but given the price it won’t lose a penny in the first year. I intend to put lots of protection on it too just in case I drop it.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:04 - 09 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like you're looking for validation rather than asking for actual advice. What you seem to be saying is that you like the idea of a relatively light, powerful naked bike - preferably something with some enduro "DNA" in it.

Here's my tuppence ha'ppeny. Firstly, I don't think I could ever realistically pour money into a new bike. Two reasons - a). they are too fucking dear. I mean holy shit dude. This is why Bike magazine is no longer really a thinly disguised set of adverts for whatever bike is the latest (which almost always gets held up as also the best - erm, yeah okay - but only one can be the best...not every damn bike featured FFS). So what are mags like Bike doing nowadays if not advertising bikes, you ask? Answer - they are in reality advertising finance. More specifically PCP arrangements. They fully acknowledge that nobody can afford a new bike any more - so they push the idea that e.g. for the price of one cappuccino per hour for the remainder of your life, you can actually buy (i.e. rent) the new Ducati Panigale V4. It'd be funny if it wasn't so tragic. I mean, shit - didn't we learn that an economy based entirely on loans, credit and tick can end in tears?

And b). there are so, so many excellent second hand bikes out there that have had pampered lives - because for decades now bikes have been toys, not transport. The used machines are often almost a tenth the price of new. Sure, they'll look dated with their round lights, the lack of ABS, and two round analogue speedo/tacho clocks. But none of that shit really matters when you're riding it - it's not like you can see it. So this always makes me wonder what's so wrong about a fifteen hundred quid two owner Hornet with 15k miles on it? As a first bike, I mean. Cut your teeth on that, and when you're convinced biking is for you and that you can ride with a modicum of finesse, by all means spunk your bank balance.

I say all this - may be you're a really rich guy with a comfortable income etc. The thing is, even then, I myself struggle with the iron logic of much of the above. I also don't quite trust KTM - but I put tens of thousands of miles on bikes per year so reliability is much higher up my list of priorities. Which in turn means that I'm potentially spending a lot on fuel - easily 50 quid a week in spring and summer. Could be nearly £2.5k a year on petrol! So, given my budget is pretty damn finite, I'd much rather have a cheap bike but a big pot of cash to keep the tank brimmed, services paid for, and consumables replaced. It's a matter of sussing out where your priorities lie. If you've honestly done that, fine - crack on.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

d3s3
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:25 - 09 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I wouldn't specifically say I'm looking for validation - I want a 790, yes, and if people who know vastly more about bikes than me validate that desire that will make me happy Very Happy However, I've posted here for advice either way and if a string of people tell me it's a bad idea then I'll absolutely take that on board too.

Relatively light naked does kinda sum up where I'm at. I'm really looking for something that can do a bit of everything - fun to ride as a weekend toy, but also comfortable for slightly more extended periods. I've considered the smaller Duke 390 but I don't think that'll be any good for anything other than quick blasts, and I fear I may get bored of it quite quickly.

Budget wise, I'm lucky enough to be in a relatively comfortable position financially, so whilst the 790 is above what I had originally set myself (up to £5k) I can afford the £6.6k if that's the route I go down. I wasn't looking for a new bike at all at first, but with £2k off the list price it makes more sense to buy new than second hand, at least for the 790 right now. I'll be paying cash so no issues with PCP etc. Annual costs should remain pretty low, I won't be dong crazy miles on it - I have a company car for the day to day.

I'm also not a mechanic - I don't want to spend my weekends in the garage tinkering with a bike, so don't really want anything that will need constant nurturing. I've looked at some older bikes but factoring in low maintenance and ideally ABS I haven't really found anything that is cheap enough to justify it over the extra few ££ for the 790. But it's entirely possible I'm not looking in the right place!

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:48 - 09 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

d3s3 wrote:
I'm also not a mechanic - I don't want to spend my weekends in the garage tinkering with a bike, so don't really want anything that will need constant nurturing. I've looked at some older bikes but factoring in low maintenance and ideally ABS I haven't really found anything that is cheap enough to justify it over the extra few ££ for the 790. But it's entirely possible I'm not looking in the right place!

But that's half the fun! Or is that just me Thinking

First it's a few simple mods then you think "servicing is how much? surely I can do this myself?!" and then you spend the winter rebuilding random bikes... slippery slope Very Happy

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:53 - 09 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
Seems like you're looking for validation rather than asking for actual advice. What you seem to be saying is that you like the idea of a relatively light, powerful naked bike - preferably something with some enduro "DNA" in it.

Here's my tuppence ha'ppeny. Firstly, I don't think I could ever realistically pour money into a new bike. Two reasons - a). they are too fucking dear. I mean holy shit dude. This is why Bike magazine is no longer really a thinly disguised set of adverts for whatever bike is the latest (which almost always gets held up as also the best - erm, yeah okay - but only one can be the best...not every damn bike featured FFS). So what are mags like Bike doing nowadays if not advertising bikes, you ask? Answer - they are in reality advertising finance. More specifically PCP arrangements. They fully acknowledge that nobody can afford a new bike any more - so they push the idea that e.g. for the price of one cappuccino per hour for the remainder of your life, you can actually buy (i.e. rent) the new Ducati Panigale V4. It'd be funny if it wasn't so tragic. I mean, shit - didn't we learn that an economy based entirely on loans, credit and tick can end in tears?

And b). there are so, so many excellent second hand bikes out there that have had pampered lives - because for decades now bikes have been toys, not transport. The used machines are often almost a tenth the price of new. Sure, they'll look dated with their round lights, the lack of ABS, and two round analogue speedo/tacho clocks. But none of that shit really matters when you're riding it - it's not like you can see it. So this always makes me wonder what's so wrong about a fifteen hundred quid two owner Hornet with 15k miles on it? As a first bike, I mean. Cut your teeth on that, and when you're convinced biking is for you and that you can ride with a modicum of finesse, by all means spunk your bank balance.

I say all this - may be you're a really rich guy with a comfortable income etc. The thing is, even then, I myself struggle with the iron logic of much of the above. I also don't quite trust KTM - but I put tens of thousands of miles on bikes per year so reliability is much higher up my list of priorities. Which in turn means that I'm potentially spending a lot on fuel - easily 50 quid a week in spring and summer. Could be nearly £2.5k a year on petrol! So, given my budget is pretty damn finite, I'd much rather have a cheap bike but a big pot of cash to keep the tank brimmed, services paid for, and consumables replaced. It's a matter of sussing out where your priorities lie. If you've honestly done that, fine - crack on.

A good, useful and insightful post.

I'd probably just buy the bike I really wanted though Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

d3s3
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:58 - 09 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But that's half the fun! Or is that just me Thinking

First it's a few simple mods then you think "servicing is how much? surely I can do this myself?!" and then you spend the winter rebuilding random bikes... slippery slope Very Happy

Laughing perhaps you're right... *starts planning a TV and beer fridge in the garage*

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:12 - 09 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

A good, useful and insightful post.

I'd probably just buy the bike I really wanted though Laughing

thought you was boracic Mr. Green

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:24 - 09 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

thought you was boracic Mr. Green

Hence "I'd", as in I would.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:14 - 09 Feb 2020    Post subject: Duke 790. Reply with quote

I have one, it's a very, very capable bike. However, it's very different to the cb650f. Try one first. I spoke to colleagues and we don't see why we couldn't use them to teach pupils on. The weight inspires confidence to someone not used to 200kg+, they're not much more powerful than a fazer 600 foxeye. But lighter yes, a lot lighter.There were a few out there for around £7.5k new!

d3s3
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:20 - 09 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, they’re currently £6.6k new at this dealer hence my enthusiasm, but I won’t get a chance to try one before they’re sold out...!

As much as I’m enjoying riding (a lot) I’m not hugely impressed with the CB650F, nice enough and goes well when you open it up, but it feels a bit sluggish and uninspiring.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:37 - 09 Feb 2020    Post subject: Duke. Reply with quote

The cb650f does need to be ridden quite hard to get the best from it. List price for the duke is £8,800, you could take a punt at that price, hate it, then possibly sell it for what you paid. If you like it, it's a bargain at that price.

d3s3
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:40 - 09 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was my thinking too. It probably won’t lose a penny in a year so financially it’s very low risk. And if you feel that it’s suitable enough to put students on then it sounds like as long as I’m sensible and keep it in rain mode while I learn the bike then it should work for me.

Talking myself in to it now Laughing

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:48 - 09 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many new riders get striples and no-one bats an eyelid! A lot of us got 600cc sportsbikes 20 years ago and they were similar power (maybe a tad heavier!). It's your money, and getting used to a big bike is all part of the fun.

d3s3
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:09 - 09 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good points! Pretty sure I'll be putting a deposit down tomorrow now... Twisted Evil

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:35 - 10 Feb 2020    Post subject: Re: First bike - KTM Duke 790? Reply with quote

d3s3 wrote:
Hi all,

Firstly I know you probably get loads of posts asking about first bikes, so any replies are especially appreciated.

Background: 41yo male, about to (hopefully) pass test. 6"1' but fairly slim. Not had a motorbike before, but fairly extensive experience with cars and karts on track and hold a pilots license, so good general motor vehicle skills. Learning on a CB650F and quite comfortable with that, although find it a bit of a lump.

Been doing extensive research and decided a naked middleweight will suit my needs, which will be mainly weekend fun with a bit of commuting and the odd longer journey. MT07 was an option, although having sat on one it feels a bit small for me. Duke 790 looks amazing on paper pretty much in every aspect, and felt very nice from onboard.

Naturally was waiting until I've passed and hoping to have some test rides, however my local KTM dealer are knocking out the 2019 790 cheaper than second hand bikes to shift stock - they're going quick and aren't many left, so I'm finding it very hard to resist putting a deposit down... So, two questions:

1) Is the 790 suitable for a beginner? I know this is subjective, depends how much I turn the throttle etc, but just after general opinions from those wiser than me! All the reviews I've seen say it's easy to ride and calm when you want it to be, but it is a lot of bike. I'm pretty sensible and will happily keep it in rain mode until I'm more comfortable.

2) Would it be stupid to buy a bike without having ridden it? The 790 ticks all the boxes, it's lightweight, looks great, plenty quick enough, loads of tech, extremely well reviewed etc. Normally I'd be happy to wait but if it's the right bike for me I don't want to miss out on this deal.

Thanks Very Happy

I do think it would make sense to ride it.

I had my heart set on a DRZ400. They look amazing, and everyone says they are great. Now, I haven't actually riden a DRZ400 yet, BUT, I have spent quite a bit of time in the saddle of a 125 single cylinder and i've come to the conclusion, I don't like single cylinder bikes. The nose doesn't make sense to me (why does my motorbike sound more like a tractor that that thing Rossi rides?) and I don't like the vibrations at high speed. I'm getting a 4 cylinder bike when I pass my test, to see if I like that better.

But, my point is, IF I had been able to just go and buy a DRZ400 a few months ago, I would have, without riding it, and I would have regretted that once I had put some miles on it and realised that what I enjoy subjectively about a bike is not the same as what made it the "best" option on paper.

That said: if you have the cash to just swap and change bikes in a year if you see something you prefer, then its a low risk. At that new price, it definitely sounds like a good deal and low risk.

deanflyer
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:15 - 11 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi d3s3 just sent you a PM, but its been flagged as spam, due to being a new user I guess. Interested in getting a Duke 790 too.

d3s3
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:41 - 11 Feb 2020    Post subject: Re: First bike - KTM Duke 790? Reply with quote

CorriganJ wrote:

I do think it would make sense to ride it.

I had my heart set on a DRZ400. They look amazing, and everyone says they are great. Now, I haven't actually riden a DRZ400 yet, BUT, I have spent quite a bit of time in the saddle of a 125 single cylinder and i've come to the conclusion, I don't like single cylinder bikes. The nose doesn't make sense to me (why does my motorbike sound more like a tractor that that thing Rossi rides?) and I don't like the vibrations at high speed. I'm getting a 4 cylinder bike when I pass my test, to see if I like that better.

But, my point is, IF I had been able to just go and buy a DRZ400 a few months ago, I would have, without riding it, and I would have regretted that once I had put some miles on it and realised that what I enjoy subjectively about a bike is not the same as what made it the "best" option on paper.

That said: if you have the cash to just swap and change bikes in a year if you see something you prefer, then its a low risk. At that new price, it definitely sounds like a good deal and low risk.

Thanks CorriganJ, it's a tough one but I do have the cash available and I'd hate to miss out on the offer if the 790 is truly the right bike for me, so I'm leaning towards following my heart and going for it Very Happy

@deanflyer - yeah doesn't look like the message arrived. Email me if you like d3s3 @ icloud . com (lose the spaces).
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 75 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1