Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Honda Cbr125r - Help needed!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Jango
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 01:57 - 14 Feb 2020    Post subject: Honda Cbr125r - Help needed! Reply with quote

Okay, so it's been a hectic week, let me explain;

Firstly, my ignition barrel randomly decides to wear down, leading to a ignition barrel replacement, took it too a garage, £82 bill.

Then, my indicators both die on my left side, found out to be a loose wire on the relay, fixed!

Getting ready to ride, go outside~ the wind either pushed my bike over, or some rat decided my bike wanted to sleep, anyhow, the bike could have been on its side for 3 hours at most, i pick it up.

The upper cowl is pretty much hanging off, headlight is waving around, but the bike starts! great right? well, after no more then 2 minutes riding it down to the parent house, my RPM sitting around 5k, randomly drops, i put more throttle into it, it raises for a second, then drops again, until it cuts out.

Okay, i start pushing it, got bored of pushing, try to start it... it starts, great!, no more then 10 seconds later, it cuts out, and hasn't started since.

I've replaced the spark plug, checked for kinks in the fuel lines, it has fuel in it, but the bike just isn't firing, i'm getting fumes belting out the exhaust, but it just won't start, i'v even tried bump starting in second gear to no avail, i can only suspect a flooded carb at this point, but it's been sitting for 3 days now, and still won't start, all the electrics work too.

So, i'm thinking either flooded carb, flooded engine, or what i learnt recently is a damaged BAR (bank angle relay), or tilt sensor?

I know the bank angle relay is located behind the headlights, which took the most damage in the fall.

Any advice is appreciated (i'm not a mechanic, or that smart with bikes, but at this point i have nothing to lose).

Thank-you.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:02 - 14 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on the age (and the unexpected angle!) it could be something as simple as a load of shit in the tank has shifted about and clogged something up.

Quick check would be to try and start it then pull the plug(s) and see if they're damp with fuel. While it's/they're out check you actually have a spark and go from there...

Jango
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 03:49 - 14 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Depending on the age (and the unexpected angle!) it could be something as simple as a load of shit in the tank has shifted about and clogged something up.

Quick check would be to try and start it then pull the plug(s) and see if they're damp with fuel. While it's/they're out check you actually have a spark and go from there...

it's a 2006, i checked inside the tank as best as i could, and nothing seems to be out of place, i should have a spark as i just replaced the spark plug, unless it's the HT lead that is in error (the thing that sits on top of the spark plug), the bike fell onto it's right side, so opposite of the side stand, so i can't imagine the side stand sensor is broken either (even then, the bike should start in neutral) which it doesn't.

2wheelLover51
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 10:09 - 14 Feb 2020    Post subject: Won't start Reply with quote

If it fell on its right (offside) then maybe the kill switch was damaged? or a vital wire or connection came loose when the fairing detached.
Checking for a spark as easy-X suggests, is the first step.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:46 - 14 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st Rule of Spanner Club: don't assume anything! The bike's had a physical shock, something that was hanging on by a thread before may have worked its way loose.

Jango
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:47 - 14 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
1st Rule of Spanner Club: don't assume anything! The bike's had a physical shock, something that was hanging on by a thread before may have worked its way loose.

There is no kill switch on the old honda cbr's, it's got my mind boggled.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:19 - 14 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it that you've had a right good google?

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1244336/Honda-Cbr125r.html?page=155
https://cbrforum.com/forum/other-models-125-250-400-66/cbr125r-2010-fault-code-54-a-156083/

Jango
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:31 - 14 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:

Yeah, that's the bank angle sensor as Honda calls it~ now i haven't looked into this properly as i only saw this last night, but it would make sense it has something to do with this, as when the bike fell over, most of the damage was to the headlight/upper cowl, which is exactly where the tip over sensor is, when i get the chance, i'm going to look at the wiring today on this, i'm also going to remove the spark plug, and try to start it up, rag on the hole, and see if any oil comes out the carb, if no oil, i'll ground the spark plug, and see if i'm getting a spark, i'll keep you guys updated.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 14:14 - 14 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is pre-FI being an 06.

Open your filler cap and try running.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jango
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:42 - 14 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
This is pre-FI being an 06.

Open your filler cap and try running.

I tried that, with still no luck, went through 3 entire battery charges now too, just trying to get it started.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 18:41 - 14 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it actually sparking?

I don't think the older one has a bank sensor, I've thrown mine down the road and its stayed running for some time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:27 - 14 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are whanging away on the starter be carefully you don't burn it out. The findings heat up fast due to the energy flowing through it. They are not meant to be hammered for much more than a minute then allow a few minutes to cool.
It harms the insulation which may not be a problem today but will give you shit later.

Check that there is fuel getting to the engine.
Turn over on the starter and have a whiff of the exhaust. It should stink of petrol. Even dripping out the pipe.
I don't think shit in the tank is too much of an issue but there is more likelihood of water being in there. From normal condensation events.
Being on its side then righted and started may have sooked a bit of water into the fuel line.
If you can drain the float chamber to ensure there is no water in there. Check if fuel runs out too.
It is doesn't then your on point to find the problem.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:00 - 15 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coils for the ignition typically sit on the outside of the frame right above the engine and the lt wiring side is very vulnerable if the bike falls over as a result.

Are you sure it 'fell over in the wind'? The headlight and cowl hanging off as a result is a massive amount of damage just from that.

Jango
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 01:02 - 16 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Coils for the ignition typically sit on the outside of the frame right above the engine and the lt wiring side is very vulnerable if the bike falls over as a result.

Are you sure it 'fell over in the wind'? The headlight and cowl hanging off as a result is a massive amount of damage just from that.

Still no luck with anything mentioned so far.

And, from what i know, it fell over in the wind~ did it actually? i'll never know, i checked the ground after, and there was 2 drag marks on the floor, which i assume was from the foot break lever, and the foot peg.

I'm guessing it'll have to go into a Garage Sad i feel defeated

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:27 - 16 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I missed it but did you say you'd pulled the plug and it was giving good spark?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 09:51 - 16 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked all 5he wiring and plugs behind the headlight/cowl?

It was working with the new ignition wasnt it?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 61 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1