New and overwhelmed

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:40 - 14 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
£5k budget? That will be £3K for a bike and the rest on gear and security with a bit to one side if repairs are needed.

If you live near Manchester take a trip up to Superbike Factory. There are some good and bad stories about the place. I have had three bikes from there with no issues, the best thing about the place are that there are loads of bikes in all shapes and sizes just to try and sit on. See how they look and feel. Then if you see something you like you can either go elsewhere or get it from there. As for which bike, that's up to you as you are the one living with it.

As for gear... J&S in Northwich. Go in there and you will come out fully geared up to your needs. YOUR NEEDS not others. Set a budget and you will be fine. £500 is more than plenty for first time gear.

Frig me, how much do you spend on clothes? Jacket, £60-£70, boots, £100, kevlar lined jeans ~£50.00, Richa Cold protect gloves, ~£80.00 all done & good. So, you're saying, buy a bike, and expect to spend over £1500 on repairs in the first year? Other than servicing and MOT, not spent a penny extra on any of my bikes for at least the last 5 or 6 years at least. As I do most of the servicing myself, works out pretty cheap, most expensive maintainance has been new tyres, and getting them fitted. Brake pads etc, are pennies, and take a few minutes to replace.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:43 - 14 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
^^^ Agreed^^^

You can get a decent example of any of the all rounders, Fazers, Bandits, Hornets, ER6s or even SV's if you are so inclined. You can get a good example of any of them and still have change from your budget.

How about a pink Gladius Whistle

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/usedphotosna/70568742_614.jpg

Christ, that's an ugly bike, why? Just why? There's a reason, they go for a chicken and a bag of rice second hand..

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:44 - 14 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

andym wrote:
Look for an old ratty bike for less than a grand that you won't give a shit about, thrash (what remains of) the arse off it then flog it for as close to the price you paid when you've got bored/destroyed it, then do the same again until you've got a bit of experience under your belt.

Use that first bike as a learning tool for riding, maintenance, dropping and basically fucking up in all weather conditions..... you'll find that no matter how bad the weather is, how miserable your commute is... you'll still reach your destination with a grin on your face Thumbs Up

Why??

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:45 - 14 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Peanut_Butter wrote:
Thank you for all your replies

I am torn between the practical and the pretty..
That RE is right up my street and is completely something that I would go for.
Someone said up above that it's all about how the bike feels, whilst learning I experienced a twin an a 4 and I liked the smoothness (if that's the right word) of the 4. But I can appreciate how the other "feel" would better suit another bike.

I'm thinking that the sensible thing to do would be to buy something cheap to learn to ride on then get the bike I really want in a year or two.
My dad (fortunately) could always help if I run into mechanical issues and my husband is technically minded so don't think it will be the end of the world if something goes wrong.

Sounds good, for a new very good bike, at the price, you would be really hard pressed to beat the current Royal Enfield 650's.. 3 Years warranty & free breakdown cover, can't say I've had to use either, but for peace of mind and all that ..

Ignore this, OP - the Interceptor will look shabby and corroded if pressed into service as a commuter unless used on dry days only. It's the kind of bike that will need half an hour's worth of cleaning after an encounter with rain/salt/dirt. Air-cooled 'retro' styled bikes often have a lot of nooks and crannies (engine fins, spokes, etc.) to contend with. A commuter does have to be easy to clean or they start to look neglected, and oxidisation soon sets in.

I owned a w650 and a cb500 - the former was pretty, the latter was anything but. However, cleaning the latter was a ten minute job - whereas the W always felt like an exercise in detailing.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:57 - 14 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
^^^ Agreed^^^

You can get a decent example of any of the all rounders, Fazers, Bandits, Hornets, ER6s or even SV's if you are so inclined. You can get a good example of any of them and still have change from your budget.

How about a pink Gladius Whistle

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/usedphotosna/70568742_614.jpg

Christ, that's an ugly bike, why? Just why? There's a reason, they go for a chicken and a bag of rice second hand..

All my bikes are ugly. I did a really stupid thing and chose them for how well they get the job done. The KLX for how well it can poddle through two feet of slurry and ride up the walls of local disused quarries. The CBR600 for how well it corners, its low weight, and its reliability. The ninja for excitement and easily accessed power. Christ I feel so remiss right now.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 09:20 - 14 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Posted: 23:32 - 13 Feb 2020

linuxyeti wrote:
Posted: 23:35 - 13 Feb 2020

linuxyeti wrote:
Posted: 23:40 - 13 Feb 2020

linuxyeti wrote:
Posted: 23:44 - 13 Feb 2020

Err... did you breath between them posts Yeti?

Peanut; no one has asked, so... what did you do your DAS on?

The notion 'Retro' begs some ponderation though; My bike is a Honda CB750N. Built in 1993, it was marketed as a 'Retro' harking back to the original Honda CB750 'Four' of 1969... curious that that 'Retro' is now actually older than the bike it was a supposed modern recreation of when it was built.....

Follow up is Trevor's mention of his Kawasaki W65. Kawasaki had apparently made a version of the BSA A65 under licence, back in the late '60's, to learn how 4-strokes were made. In the 90's when the 'Retro' fad hit, they dusted off the dies and re-started manufacture, allegedly. Almost twenty years ago, some-one tried to flog me one on the 'retro' ideals, that it had all the looks and nature of an old bike, with modern support.... I did a little research on that notion, and concluded that if I 'really' wanted an old Brit-Banger.... for the same money I could actually buy an old brit banger! And quarter of a century old before I started, odds were that it would have been restored a couple of times, and most of the niggles ironed out, probably with a fair few useful upgrades, like an electronic ignition, and unlike the W65 that was a new bike and going to depreciate like a new bike.... an old Triumph Bonny or Beeza Lightning, was only going to appreciate in value....

Which is just a pause for thought....

You have a Ride-What-You-Like licence.. so ride what you like... job you suggest you want the thing for is every day commuting... so a hum-drum every day commuter.. probably like what you did your DAS on... immediately offers itself as the bench-mark here....

But... Manchester.... I think that locks and chains 'probably' ought to feature slightly higher up the priority list than whether the thing is old, looks old or is some kind of reproduction.....

And remember you are buying a bike, not marrying it! If you want to get rid, you wont need a solicitor or Judge, and you can even have more than one at a time.... think boring.... get a tool to do the job.... and if you have two jobs, like commuting in the week, and having fun on the week-end... well, two tools may be the answer.....

But what did you do DAS on... that is your best bench mark to judge alternatives by, for you, or any-one who's advice you seek.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:32 - 14 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retro... what does that even mean these days?!

This CB1000 is apparently a "Neo Sports Café Racer"

https://www.honda.co.uk/content/dam/central/motorcycles/street/cb1000r-2018/Honda-CB1000R-Overview11-16x9.jpg/_jcr_content/renditions/c3.jpg

But the CB1100 is "classic"

https://www.honda.co.uk/content/dam/central/motorcycles/street/cb1100-ex-2019/text-two-column-inline-2/Honda-CB1100-EX-on-stand-in-workshop.jpg/_jcr_content/renditions/c3.jpg

One of these is almost 2 bags more than the other... can you guess which without looking it up?

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:46 - 14 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

As no one else has said it, Triumph Rocket III. Put the five down as a deposit and finance the other 15 on the never never.
Job done. Thumbs Up

Mate of mine got himself a lightly used SV650 (newer pointy version not the older jelly mould) last year and as a first bike it does have a lot going for it. He rates it as fast enough to scare him, but soft enough to build confidence. And he likes that it has ABS.
There used to be loads of mid range all rounder bikes, but looking at current manufacturer line ups there isn't going to much to choose from in a few years.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:56 - 14 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Retro... what does that even mean these days?!

This CB1000 is apparently a "Neo Sports Café Racer"
But the CB1100 is "classic"

One of these is almost 2 bags more than the other... can you guess which without looking it up?

That first thing is pigging ugly. I wonder whether it was originally aimed at the american market.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:36 - 14 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:

Ignore this, OP - the Interceptor will look shabby and corroded if pressed into service as a commuter unless used on dry days only. It's the kind of bike that will need half an hour's worth of cleaning after an encounter with rain/salt/dirt. Air-cooled 'retro' styled bikes often have a lot of nooks and crannies (engine fins, spokes, etc.) to contend with. A commuter does have to be easy to clean or they start to look neglected, and oxidisation soon sets in.

I owned a w650 and a cb500 - the former was pretty, the latter was anything but. However, cleaning the latter was a ten minute job - whereas the W always felt like an exercise in detailing.

Really, where did you get this info from? Mine's still nice and shiny, no signs of corrosion, despite the best efforts of a fair chunk of the west and east midlands councils.. Talking nonsense there, it would appear, As I said, just before Christmas, I did round trip of just under 400 miles, ( Wolves -> Doncaster -> Wakefield -> Oldham -> Skelmersdale -> Bispham -> Wolves) the last 100 or so in the pouring rain on the M6 from Preston to Wolves, never missed a beat. Since the beginning of January, I've commuted to Leicester and back on it a few times, no matter what the weather, over to Derby, upto Manchester & Stoke a few times. No corrosion, if you want corrosion, get a Triumph.

All you need to do, is coat with acf-50, or some other corrosion blocker, and rinse off after a ride in the salt, dry thoroughly, one of those pet dryers is perfect, then, perhaps give it a decent clean once a month, until the dryer weather arrives, I really don't know why some people find keeping a bike corrosion free so difficult.

To be fair, if my 17 year old daughter, and, her 16 year old friend can keep corrosion at bay on their Keeway Superlight, and Mash 50 respectively, it really can't be that difficult at all.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:44 - 14 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Completely off of the original topic, but I've not cleaned my GS in well over a year, more than 16,000 miles at least. It lives outdoors, uncovered, in all weather. In those 16,000 miles it's commuted on daily through London, come rain, salt, or shine. It's been up to the top of Scotland and back, around the M25 countless times, off-road, on-road, through floods, mud, horse shit, dog shit (yuck), and spends the nights parked under a cherry tree getting the occasional spattering of pigeon shit.

I'm not even the biggest fan of GSes (which probably explains the lack of washing), the only reason I bought it is the price was right (mates rates), but truthfully pretty much the only places at all that you'll find any sign of rust is the top-box rack, which has a tiny bit of surface rust, and the exhaust link pipe, which is cheap aftermarket non-stainless. Corrosion wise, pretty much just the bottoms of the forks, which have lost their paint due to constant stone chips.

I appreciate perhaps the GS was built to a bit of a higher standard than most bikes (though I'd struggle to believe it when it comes to the electronics!). But this:

linuxyeti wrote:
All you need to do, is coat with acf-50, or some other corrosion blocker, and rinse off after a ride in the salt, dry thoroughly, one of those pet dryers is perfect, then, perhaps give it a decent clean once a month, until the dryer weather arrives, I really don't know why some people find keeping a bike corrosion free so difficult.

Sounds like a lot of effort compared to pretty much anything I've ever owned.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:33 - 14 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peanut_Butter wrote:
superbike factory looks decent to have a nosey of what's about, might check it out. Do they pester you there? Nothing worse than those guys that continuously come up to you asking if your ok or need help with anything...

My experience there is that it's hard to find someone who'll actually talk to you even if you want to! And that was as a serious buyer, too...

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:47 - 14 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peanut_Butter wrote:
superbike factory looks decent to have a nosey of what's about, might check it out. Do they pester you there? Nothing worse than those guys that continuously come up to you asking if your ok or need help with anything...

Be careful, their aftersales service, doesn't appear to have the best reputation..

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:19 - 14 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two ideas or approaches here, and neither is really wrong. But before any of that, I'd question if you're really into the whole motorbike thing enough to actually want to own and run a bike, as your post gives out mixed messages, and bikes ain't for everyone nor is there anything wrong with admitting that after a bit of a dabble.

1, You go out this spring and buy something of I'd say 500cc+ as a cheap, but good used bike that comes up for sale locally to you. It really needn't matter what it is, if its a good condition machine and something that fits you or has a riding position that you think you can get on with. It could be anything from a GS500, to a GSXR 600/750, a custom or cruiser, an adventure bike, a brappy hooligan supermoto etc etc.

Basically a bike, and then you have the vehicle, so the next thing to work out is when and where your going to use it, and assuming you'll want to ride it more in the summer weather, then you'll know what you'll probably use it for, and where you want to go on it etc after a while. You'll also be able to log your use and mileage, so if the winter comes and you've put 3000miles on it, you might think differently about it than if you've only logged 300miles in that period.

2, Go out and buy something you've always liked the look of or thought was cool, and see if you like it or can get on with it over a few months or so. It could be say a Honda Africa twin, a Rebel, a CBR-RR, VFR, NSR, XR, as examples.

Personally I was number 2, when I passed my test as I had a list of stuff I liked the look of, or wanted to try or own. The idea of just picking up a cheap but good condition used bike for a year would never have appealed to me or made me really want to ride a bike.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:40 - 14 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:

Frig me, how much do you spend on clothes? Jacket, £60-£70, boots, £100, kevlar lined jeans ~£50.00, Richa Cold protect gloves, ~£80.00 all done & good. So, you're saying, buy a bike, and expect to spend over £1500 on repairs in the first year? Other than servicing and MOT, not spent a penny extra on any of my bikes for at least the last 5 or 6 years at least. As I do most of the servicing myself, works out pretty cheap, most expensive maintainance has been new tyres, and getting them fitted. Brake pads etc, are pennies, and take a few minutes to replace.

I did say £500 was plenty and just your guess came to £300. I would have jeans I would have leggings (wife bought some for £60 last Thursday from Northwich) A budget is what it is.... a budget not to go over, if you can get it for less then fine.

Security is what you think the bike is worth, Me I spent £180 on an Abus chain 24 years ago, still got the chain and although people have tried to nick my bikes and have caused damage doing so, the lock and chain is still going strong. \i have also spent money on ground anchors and the like, so adding this to a budget is not the max you spend but spend within it.

As for repairs and such, easy to pick up punctures, if they cant be plugged then its £100 plus for tyres, new bike to you could be a chain and sprocket, cables, levers if you drop the bike.

This all adds up and if you don't budget then you are stuck. Budgets are what they are and different for all, but saying that just keep a tenner just in case is wrong. It is better to have a surplus than a shortage.

It all adds up so if you have a large budget for a bike then give yourself a margin for the what ifs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:50 - 14 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:

Use a bike as actual transport everyday, all year round. Then follow your above advice..... every single day. You'll soon get tired and buy an old jap hack.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:02 - 14 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Peanut_Butter wrote:

Be careful, their aftersales service, doesn't appear to have the best reputation..

This is what I suspect about your supposed proliferation of Mash, Royal Enfield and Benelli dealers. They'll be very happy to sell you a bike, a shirt and some accessories but will they service the bike competently? Some years ago a mate bought a Ginelli scooter from a local dealer specialising in such machines from various makers. To keep the warranty valid they seemed to have him taking it in for servicing more often than my sportsbike, yet the servicing was woeful and the bike rusted to hell in short order. Meanwhile the dealer was selling scoots hand over fist to local youths. It was a good business for a short while.

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 21:56 - 14 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peanut_Butter, when making your choice you also have to factor in whether the person "helping" you is away with the fairies or a well-meaning but stupid windbag. This forum attracts all types. Best of luck. Remember that you will crash and/or the bike will fall over and/or be knocked over by a car driver. Bikes always involve some grief.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:18 - 14 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:

Really, where did you get this info from? Mine's still nice and shiny, no signs of corrosion, despite the best efforts of a fair chunk of the west and east midlands councils.. Talking nonsense there, it would appear, As I said, just before Christmas, I did round trip of just under 400 miles, ( Wolves -> Doncaster -> Wakefield -> Oldham -> Skelmersdale -> Bispham -> Wolves) the last 100 or so in the pouring rain on the M6 from Preston to Wolves, never missed a beat. Since the beginning of January, I've commuted to Leicester and back on it a few times, no matter what the weather, over to Derby, upto Manchester & Stoke a few times. No corrosion, if you want corrosion, get a Triumph.

To be fair, if my 17 year old daughter, and, her 16 year old friend can keep corrosion at bay on their Keeway Superlight, and Mash 50 respectively, it really can't be that difficult at all.

If your bike cleaning is as good as your punctuation they'll be scrap by April.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:36 - 14 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:

If your bike cleaning is as good as your punctuation they'll be scrap by April.

Sleeping Sleeping Sleeping Sleeping Laughing Laughing

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:04 - 15 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

Because in my view an RE as lovely as they are, are not a suitable primary or only bike. I like them but I'd have to have another bike as my regular machine.

As for the others, I don't like Chinese and I'll never recommend one as a first bike to someone, and even if I did, I wouldn't recommend a large cc single because I don't like them as road bikes. Also what you call dealerships are not what I call dealerships.

That's my view which is just as valid as yours. Razz

Except, you have no experience of any of the bikes and/or manufactureers, whereas, I have, so, no, your view is not as valid, as it's based on prejudice and heresay, and, not actual experience. can I ask, how many miles have you ridden on an Interceptor, or Mash, or Benelli, or any other for that matter, in the last, lets make it easy, say, 12 months? You're quite happy giving your opinions, but, don't actually see any riding reports from you?

Just seen this.

You arrogant twat.

I have ridden an RE and as I said I like it. But its never a 1st riders bike.

As for chinese shite, I saw a chinese 125 snap its chain and wrap it round my sons leg. A pussy 10(on a good day) hp. and put him in hospital.

I would never ever in the world reccomend a Chinese bike, end of. You might disagree, your choice. Ask most on here what they think of Chinese junk.

I have had bikes since 1973, when I was 16. I could list them but I'd probably forget most.

I give my reccomendatiotions on what I think, rightly or wrongly but I bet a penny to a pound of shit I have more experience of bikes than you do.

So you carry on sucking up to your China stuff, and I'lll cary on warning people about how shit it is.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:21 - 15 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Because in my view an RE as lovely as they are, are not a suitable primary or only bike. I like them but I'd have to have another bike as my regular machine.

They are trying to change that perception. Truth be told i reckon you could rely on my CGT 535 as transport, the quality compared to early and mid 2000's bullets its hard to believe they are made by the same company. I'm planning to take it across the channel in April so if I'm wrong you can all laugh at my "Help I'm stuck in frogland", posts.

Where they shoot themselves in the foot is all that nice polished metal will look like crap in a month of winter commuting. Ok that's only cosmetic but if you buy that kind of bike brand new then you probably are going to care about the cosmetics. A proper cleaning on my 535 takes upward of 3 hours, not an option everyday. Even a decent waterless wash and quick acf is upward of an hour to do properly.

They should do a 650 twin with all the shiny shit powder coated, along with the price, warranty, mechanical simplicity and included breakdown cover that would be a pretty compelling contender as a commuter. I'd buy it over an sv650 or an er6 if i needed a cheap twin to hack about every day.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:31 - 15 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

I have ridden an RE and as I said I like it. But its never a 1st riders bike.

And I've ridden a Raleigh Grifter, doesn't make me qualified to give valid reviews of any of the current Raleigh range..

Polarbear wrote:

As for chinese shite, I saw a chinese 125 snap its chain and wrap it round my sons leg. A pussy 10(on a good day) hp. and put him in hospital.

I've only ever had 2 chains snap, both on Suzuki's, a GT250T back in the 90's and a GS500 about 10 years ago. My own fault, lack of maintainence. As for currently, I rarely have to even adjust any othe chains, aside from after the first 1000 miles or so, on both the Mash 50 & Nippers Keeway, as, for the Interceptor, ~5500 miles, no corrosion, no chain adjustment required, only had to slightly adjust the clutch cable, after about 4000 miles.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:55 - 15 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:

Except, you have no experience of any of the bikes and/or manufactureers, whereas, I have, so, no, your view is not as valid, as it's based on prejudice and heresay, and, not actual experience. can I ask, how many miles have you ridden on an Interceptor, or Mash, or Benelli, or any other for that matter, in the last, lets make it easy, say, 12 months? You're quite happy giving your opinions, but, don't actually see any riding reports from you?

That's a shit arguement,

Best starter bike for the op is a GSXR 1000 K1.

Your own logic you can't argue with the above, you've never owned a GSXR or anything remotely similar.

Also as you have no experience of jap bikes beyond a few shit bottom of the heap hacks all your own reviews are invalid as you have nothing to compare properly.

Do you have a vested interest in motogb? This is a genuine question as financial benefit is the only reason to shill products so blatantly.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:42 - 15 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going on personal experience and not hearsay...

My Keeway Superlight was great! Seriously the best looking faux-cruiser you can get in the 125 bracket (helped along ofc by minimal competition!) I miss it quite a bit, however...

I'm under no illusions (especially now I have a Honda) that the quality isn't there. Yes, regular washing + ACF50 is a proven method to maintain the bike's look. And mechanically it's fine if you know what to keep an eye on (valves mainly.)

If you're the sort of person that looks forward to getting the wrenches out then Chinese bikes (and I dare say Indian too, if I may be so bold) are a great value proposition but I'd never go as far as saying they're better than the big four.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 43 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6