BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2035 ban on petrol and diesel [blank]

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:55 - 06 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decarbonised?! Wasn't there an episode of Star Trek where that happened to someone in an unfortunate Transporter accident? Thinking

V2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 07:47 - 07 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/trollscience.jpg

THIS!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:53 - 07 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shell are currently running a stoopid advertising campaign - carbon neutral fuel. They claim their fuel is carbon neutral because they plant trees somewhere in the world.

The problem with fossil fuels and them being used in some form as a fuel (could be electricity generation or even actual petrol/diesel) is the efficiency of conversion and waste products. I'm quite confident that if clean burn was achieved then most of this change wouldn't happen...
Bring in Gasification.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasification

It's a form of sustainable energy.
Roast something organic in origin in an air tight container and it breaks down into useful compounds.
(government need a slap across the face with this) Back in the day coal was roasted to provide a whole 'coal tree' of compounds. You'll have heard of coke, coal tar, coal gas. There are many more products. If you regulate the process you can keep things very clean and almost non-polluting.
Coal is an obvious one but you can use wood, plastics, tyres and so on. Almost anything is game with gasification.
You could throw an old buried landfill tip into a gasification plant and be rewarded with useful compounds
Why isn't this happening? Might be something to do with tax or rather less of it for government. It's all about money.

dynax
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:26 - 07 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect, roast the eco warriors Laughing

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:00 - 07 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
Shell are currently running a stoopid advertising campaign - carbon neutral fuel. They claim their fuel is carbon neutral because they plant trees somewhere in the world.

Their publicity budget could fund a small country.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:18 - 07 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unbelievably naive MAG wrote:

MAG confirms 2035 ban for petrol and diesel is not for motorcycles

This version: 2020-02-07

On Tuesday 4th February, Boris Johnson launched the UK-hosted UN climate summit and announced that he would bring forward the end to the sale of new petrol and diesel vehicles from 2040 to 2035 - or earlier if possible - and include hybrids for the first time.
As with all such long range, broad announcements, it was not clear what the detailed policy would be and how it would be implemented. As such, the announcement caused a flurry of speculation and guesses for motorcyclists, with conflicting conclusions drawn.

As always, MAG has taken the sensible approach of seeking clarification.

Speaking to Phil Killingley, Deputy Head of the Office for Low
Emission Vehicles (OLEV) at the Department for Transport, MAG’s Director of Campaigns & Political Engagement, Colin Brown, received confirmation that the 2035 ban does not apply to motorcycles. Colin commented “We are pleased to hear that the ban from 2035 will not apply to the sale of petrol-powered motorcycles. Our membership consists overwhelmingly of
petrol-engine bike users who do not wish to see the very thing they love banned. Yet it is clear, speaking to the Department, that the threat remains. It will not surprise anyone that the debate over
electrification is also taking place in MAG, with a range of views
expressed. The task ahead is to plot a sensible, evidence-based
approach in a subject area that ignites great passion and emotion.”

On Tuesday 4th February, Lembit Opik, MAG’s Director of Communications & Public Affairs, attended a key meeting in Parliament where Visiting Professor at Oxford and Imperial College London, Gautam Kalghatgi, explained why petrol- and diesel-powered vehicles cannot, in reality, be banned by the 2035 deadline. Professor Kalghatgi argued that the largescale adoption of electric power creates enormous and, as yet, unsolved problems. Lembit said “this is a highly complex issue in which all factors need to be weighed and the impacts fully understood before decisions are made. The answers for motorcycles are different to those
for cars regarding readiness for electrification and impacts on users,
so it’s vital motorbikes are considered separately to cars and vans.”

The government is consulting on the 2035 proposals, telling
stakeholders: “We are aware that stakeholders will have a diverse range of views on this subject and both Ministers and senior officials will be engaging closely to understand what those are.” The subjects that they want feedback on are: the phase-out date; the definition of what should be phased out; barriers to achieving the ambitions set out in the consultation; the impact of these ambitions on different sectors of industry and society; and what measures are required by Government and others to achieve the earlier phase-out date.’

National MAG Chair, Selina Lavender, added: “MAG is on the list of
stakeholders and will be engaging fully with OLEV so that the views and opinions of our members are fully represented.”

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:02 - 07 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
"Unbelievably naive MAG"

Agreed, the only reason motorcycles aren't included is that they're an irrelevance that no one thought of including. They'll add them in a couple of weeks before the full ban comes into force.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:48 - 07 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unbelievably naive MAG wrote:

Phil Killingley, Deputy Head of the Office for Low Emission Vehicles (OLEV) at the Department for Transport

MAG’s Director of Campaigns & Political Engagement, Colin Brown

Lembit Opik, MAG’s Director of Communications & Public Affairs

National MAG Chair, Selina Lavender,

Only need the above titles to realise they are all just self serving tossers and nothing they say can even carry the weight of a fag paper.

Deputy head of the OLEV, the only way that could sound funnier is if its a department of 2.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:24 - 08 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

What happens if the other countries of the world don't go along with this 2035 cut off.

If you can still buy cars in France or import them from America there will be someone buying them up and selling them as second hand cars. Unless the government give a cut off date, i.e. ban them they won't be able to control the second hand market And any government that tells it's population that we will ban your perfectly good cars is asking for a drubbing at an election.

I was under the impression that the ban on new car sales was to reduce the number of ICE vehicles to such an extent that the country could meet it's deadline (2050?) for cutting the fuel supply and that the new car ban was recently bought forward so that it could realistically meet that deadline - so feel free to stock up on motorized Zimmer frames, just be aware you'll be reduced to sourcing black market fuel for them in the very near future...

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:30 - 08 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

dynax wrote:
The real answer is more bikes

Not far off, the real answer is for everyone to go back to medieval standards, live less than five miles from their workplace and to cycle/walk to work. On a plus point, the NHS could further slash it's spending as the number of fat fuckers with high blood pressure and/or diabetes would fall considerably...

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:08 - 14 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm being dragged kicking and screaming into ecoland. Crying or Very sad

Wifie is on about having an electric town car, getting rid of her Megane and having the Jaguar (MY Jaguar) for long distances. I can see the point but I know (and want to know) very little about modern electric vehicles, especially....

Can someone explain to me the point of a self charging hybrid car? I can't see a real world use for one.

Is it just a way to get round rules. Is it that you can change it to electric only for a short while? Can you even go totally electric with the engine off?

It just seems to be an over complication yet looking at the Kia range (just plucked out of thin air) it's by far the cheapest. I'm guessing it's all down to battery size/costs and I can't see whether it goes only electric.

https://www.kia.com/uk/new-cars/all-new-niro-family

Also, if it's not plug in there isn't any financial gain is there. No cheap electricity so there I would be looking at the plug in hybrid. Does it really cost 5 grand to add a socket?

And they are all fcuking expensive but I presume 2nd hand electric anything is a no no.

I'd go for an eco shit box petrol but she wants to save the planet.

Pissed off.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:29 - 14 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Can someone explain to me the point of a self charging hybrid car? I can't see a real world use for one.

Slightly more economical, supposedly, that seems to be all.

https://www.drivingelectric.com/your-questions-answered/686/what-self-charging-hybrid

Descriptions of other types there too.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:17 - 14 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think they are more economical over all since you are carrying batteries and an engine + fuel.
The advantage is no need for emissions in town centres and not using the engine in congested traffic would save fuel there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:55 - 15 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The major attraction with a self charging hybrid is that you
won’t get worried about finding a charging point every time it wants to dump you in the middle of nowhere

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:51 - 15 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it's like a diesel submarine? Engine charges batteries?? Are that type not going to be banned too?

You could trick her? Get a Seat Leon 184 - same as a Golf GTD. Mine has 'regenerative braking' listed in the sales book. What it really means is the alternator charges the (tiny) car battery only when I'm braking..

Is your wife genuinely thinking the right way here? She needs to understand all of the negatives as well as the positives.
(that was an early morning attempt at a joke..)

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:05 - 15 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:

Is your wife genuinely thinking the right way here? She needs to understand all of the negatives as well as the positives.

No, she's got a bee in her bonnet due to grandson 5 popping out of my eldest daughter. Save the world, lol.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:14 - 15 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

I'd go for an eco shit box petrol but she wants to save the planet.

Pissed off.

Do a bit of googling and crunch the numbers. We sat down a figured we could save quite a lot if the wife got a renault Zoe. She refused though because it doesn't sound like a car Rolling Eyes

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:29 - 15 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't everyone missing the point here:

If you have a wife and she's not doing what she's told... get another wife!

Shifty

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:48 - 15 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

It's taken 15 years to get used to this one, I'm not px'ing now.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:39 - 15 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
Easy-X wrote:

It's taken 15 years to get used to this one, I'm not px'ing now.

Trust me, it pays to PX bolshy models.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:42 - 15 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Sister Sledge wrote:

No, she's got a bee in her bonnet due to grandson 5 popping out of my eldest daughter. Save the world, lol.

So you're now a plastic-free vegan, with a bent for cycling, who's given up air travel and lives in an eco home? Rolling Eyes

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:10 - 15 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

So you're now a plastic-free vegan, with a bent for cycling, who's given up air travel and lives in an eco home? Rolling Eyes

Me. Laughing

I drive a diesel guzzling Jaguar, ride a petrol guzzling 1200cc bike and run a diesel powered boat.

It does have solar panels though. Dance!

Oh, and the house gas fired central heating is on tropical at the moment because her majesty is cold.

And I had a bacon sandwich this morning.

I am not in line for Greta cuddles.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:13 - 15 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Isn't everyone missing the point here:

Shifty

Brave man Shocked Laughing

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:00 - 16 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a slippery slope that. If she gets a leccy car then you'll have to make amends too. A bit like matching jumpers or wolf fleeces.
You could start by removing the boat engine and towing it by riding a bicycle..

I might be the only one but I love the smell of a dirty old diesel on a winters morning.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 42 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4