Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Off-site backup - recommendations?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:41 - 11 Feb 2020    Post subject: Off-site backup - recommendations? Reply with quote

Although I'm good at ensuring I back up my data at home, I'm very remiss at not having a regular off-site backup system in place and I really need to put that right. Will probably never need to use it; this is for the 'house burned down' scenario really; so probably don't need to pay for the instant availability of all my data for recovery. I think Amazon Glacier does a very cheap but 'slow' service - anyone used that?

So I need something that will back up (incrementally, presumably?) every night on the fly, without my intervention. For storage of about a terabyte of data I suppose? I'm not an IT professional so don't want any system that's madly complex to operate.

Thoughts please?

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:16 - 11 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

One Drive / Google Drive / Amazon S3

The first two are really dimwit friendly and cheap as chips.

Benson_JV
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:17 - 11 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem is with Glacier, it's cheap to put and store data, but costly and slow to retrieve it should you need to.

One drive would be easier. Check out Acronis if you want the entire PC to be backed up and not have to think about it, but will cost slightly more.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:29 - 11 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't you just back it up on a hard drive and leave it at a friend of relatives place? One drive is $69.99/year for 1TB. A 1TB hard drive can bought for about half that. You can literally create 2 new backups every year for the same price, each being another layer of protection.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:39 - 11 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

What sort things are you looking to backup and how much data is there?

Glacier is cheap but as mentioned can be slow and eye wateringly expensive to return the data if you need it.

There is also the s3 infrequent access tier which could be an option its kind of inbetween glacier and s3 standard tier.

You can get 2tb from google or dropbox for about £79 a year which probably works out cheaper and easier then S3 in the long run.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:27 - 11 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Veeam endpoint is free, and the newer versions support backing up to OneDrive. Alternatively back up to an encrypted USB drive and keep it offsite.

https://www.veeam.com/windows-endpoint-server-backup-free.html

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:42 - 12 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the replies.

Seems to be a lot of support for OneDrive, Google Drive and Dropbox; and I do like the idea of using those, for various reasons. Presumably to use those, as opposed to a bespoke backup system, I need to use separate software like Windows backup or Acronis (which someone mentioned) - can you use the above three with automatic backup software, then? Cos above all, for me that's what needs to happen!

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
Can't you just back it up on a hard drive and leave it at a friend of relatives place?
Definitely a good idea; trouble is I know if I relied on that I'd never get round to actually doing it in a timely fashion. I know this because when I used to work in an office I made a habit of keeping a personal backup drive in my desk drawer, and I know how often that got updated! Plus, ideally I'd like continuous backups so when my house does burn down, I haven't lost however much data I've created since I last took my backup drive round to my mates...

Benson_JV wrote:
Problem is with Glacier, it's cheap to put and store data, but costly and slow to retrieve it should you need to

Ball park figure for retrieval? Can't work it out from the website. That cost's not actually a deal-breaker for me really, as hopefully I should never, ever need to retrieve data from my offsite backup...

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:52 - 12 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Continuous backup sounds good until you overwrite a file by mistake and the change gets replicated.

Copying to a hard drive is a snapshot backup so nice if you want to retrieve a previous version of a file. (Before the Trojan demanding bitcoin overwrote all your files!)

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:07 - 12 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Thanks a lot for the replies.

Seems to be a lot of support for OneDrive, Google Drive and Dropbox; and I do like the idea of using those, for various reasons. Presumably to use those, as opposed to a bespoke backup system, I need to use separate software like Windows backup or Acronis (which someone mentioned) - can you use the above three with automatic backup software, then? Cos above all, for me that's what needs to happen!

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
Can't you just back it up on a hard drive and leave it at a friend of relatives place?
Definitely a good idea; trouble is I know if I relied on that I'd never get round to actually doing it in a timely fashion. I know this because when I used to work in an office I made a habit of keeping a personal backup drive in my desk drawer, and I know how often that got updated! Plus, ideally I'd like continuous backups so when my house does burn down, I haven't lost however much data I've created since I last took my backup drive round to my mates...

Benson_JV wrote:
Problem is with Glacier, it's cheap to put and store data, but costly and slow to retrieve it should you need to

Ball park figure for retrieval? Can't work it out from the website. That cost's not actually a deal-breaker for me really, as hopefully I should never, ever need to retrieve data from my offsite backup...

You can just set up software to sync your files over to an external hard drive. Then every month or 3 just uplug that drive and put a new one in its place. You can do this with 2 drives and cycle them around for one fixed cost similar to a year of onedrive. These will also be "true backups" in that they will be unplugged and offsite and so will be beyond the reach of things like ransomware. They also don't depend on you continuing to pay for onedrive which you may not do for some reason or another.

Cloud services are meant for collaborative work, not so much backups.

https://www.techbout.com/backup-files-in-windows-10-using-backup-and-restore-25369/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:00 - 12 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overwriting files is not a problem.

Google Drive keeps previous versions of all files for 30 days.

OneDrive keeps 25 previous versions of all files.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:04 - 12 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

How much data?

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:06 - 12 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get 1TB of free storage with my 365 Exchange account ... plus another 'free' 1Tb with Gmail for i think £1.30 something a month.

That's all the storage i need.

Phone goes to Google Drive. PCs at home go to OneDrive via the NASSync built into the NAS box.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:21 - 12 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use the AWS cost calculator to estimate the cost
for the various s3 tiers

https://calculator.aws/#/createCalculator

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:42 - 15 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

duhawkz wrote:
Freddyfruitbat wrote:

How much data?

1TB

seeyalater
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:44 - 27 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use BACKBLAZE and it automatically backs up my Imac. doesn't cost much for what you get. only down is if you delete off your system it will go off backblaze after a month, so it only backs up your actual system

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:49 - 27 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for S3.

Cheap as chips.

I've got about 2tb of data in glacier and it's 10p per month. There's an initial cost involved in loading the data as it's calculated via how many put requests you use, bit even the initial bill was only $2.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 31 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1