Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Legal off road reg plates

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

David C
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:49 - 07 Jun 2019    Post subject: Legal off road reg plates Reply with quote

Hello all,
I’m a newbie to this site and useless with tech so please cut me some slack. I’m looking for a supplier of road legal flexi plates. So reflective, asu number, suppliers postcode. There used to be one in Bradford but he doesn’t do them anymore.

I’m not willing to ride around with a number plate in a backpack or any such nonsense. And I cannot contemplate any more nonsense conversations about my “ illegal “ bike. Every thing is exactly as it should be but at the minute I have a standard plastic plate which will break the first time I drop the bike.

Can anyone help.....please....?

Thanks

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:28 - 07 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure there IS such a thing as a legal flexi-plate. The guy has probably stopped doing them because they're illegal.

The British standard for numberplate material (BS AU145d) includes a flex-test where a 2kg weight is applied to one edge of a clamped plate for 2 hours . If it takes on a "set" of more than 25mm once the weight is removed, it fails the standard.

Pretty much designed so acrylic or polycarbonate are all that will pass.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:53 - 07 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get it. What's wrong with the obvious solution (attaching the numberplate to the bike with a rubber dildo so that the plate flexes to the side if you drop the bike)? Common sense, surely.

David C
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:41 - 07 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
I don't get it. What's wrong with the obvious solution (attaching the numberplate to the bike with a rubber dildo so that the plate flexes to the side if you drop the bike)? Common sense, surely.

Excellent suggestions....but don’t call me Shirley

David C
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:49 - 07 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I'm not sure there IS such a thing as a legal flexi-plate. The guy has probably stopped doing them because they're illegal.

The British standard for numberplate material (BS AU145d) includes a flex-test where a 2kg weight is applied to one edge of a clamped plate for 2 hours . If it takes on a "set" of more than 25mm once the weight is removed, it fails the standard.

Pretty much designed so acrylic or polycarbonate are all that will pass.

Thanks for that. What a bummer. Would the flexi plate not bounce back.....I can feel an experiment coming on......not that it matters either way. Perhaps just another example of the legislation not anticipating off road use.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:02 - 07 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah as mentioned they're not for road use. I'd looked into it last year but not for off road - just looking!
I've seen quite a few on bikes and considering your type of machine is going to attract police even more, it's just not worth the hassle of fitting something illegal.

Here's a question: Are there laws to say how a number plate should be mounted (fixed) to the vehicle?
I'm thinking wobbly springs (or dildos)..

David C
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:44 - 07 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
Yeah as mentioned they're not for road use. I'd looked into it last year but not for off road - just looking!
I've seen quite a few on bikes and considering your type of machine is going to attract police even more, it's just not worth the hassle of fitting something illegal.

Here's a question: Are there laws to say how a number plate should be mounted (fixed) to the vehicle?
I'm thinking wobbly springs (or dildos)..

Being a pushy bugger I’m minded to try to get to someone in Whitehall to see if this is nothing more than folks writing rules about stuff they don’t really understand.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:25 - 07 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the plate and characters are the correct size and the font is normal enough then no one is going to look closely enough to see that it's made from flexi plastic and doesn't have the suppliers postcode on it.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:17 - 08 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe hold it on with neodynium magnets or half sawn-through plastic screws. Then it should come off in a crash and not break.

Or, you could buy a non-road legal flexi "show plate" off ebay.

Interestingly. I don't think it's illegal to HAVE a plate fitted with no postcode on. It's illegal to MAKE one. Get a show plate made with the postcode: SW1A 2JL (Scotland Yard).

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:42 - 08 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there not also a rule where the yellow colour has to be of a reflective material too?
I seem to remember reading that and a lot of the flexi plates are plain yellow non-reflective.

I agree the rules are cr*p for certain bikes because a dual sport will be taken off road sometimes.

David C
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:21 - 08 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it’s a case of going with a show plate. I think they can be purchased in a reflective finish. What a sodding waste of time and energy for the sake of a little bit of pragmatism
Thanks everyone for your input. Much appreciated.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:52 - 30 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I order from Flexi Plates, but of course they don't have all the correct markings

https://flexiplates.co.uk/

usually order a few at a time, never lasted a whole year, but they do the job, normally carry a spare with me

coppers have never said anything when they've stopped me, though to be honest when I'm green laning, they normally just are looking for hare coarsers, or want to know if I've seen xyz vehicle about

did get told off when I had the postage stamp sized one though
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:18 - 30 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just have a smaller un-flexible one apart from on MOT day Whistle It's not tiny just small enough to not stick out.
Your bike may vary.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 248 days between these two posts...

smdts
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 01:23 - 05 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of the suppliers of flexible enduro offroad plates let you put any slogan at the bottom of the plate, just choose a sensible size, and when specifying the slogan make it "BSAU 154d randomemadeupdealer randomindustrialestatepostcode"
8x6 is a decent comprimise size, small enough not to get ripped off when the going gets technical but big enough not to get unwanted attention.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 25 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1