Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Week 1 with my YBR 125

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

ChipBike
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:53 - 08 Mar 2020    Post subject: Week 1 with my YBR 125 Reply with quote

Hi

Well a week or so on with my little Yamaha YBR 125
It's great. Previous owner hadn't done anything with it, so all down to me.

Spend a day looking after it yesterday.
Dropped the oil (Very Black).
Replaced the Plug (old one looked ok against the charts)
Tidied some wiring.
Fixed an intermittent starting issue.
Snapped a loose bolt trying to tighten and had to drill it out. Exhaust bracket where it attaches at the rear.
Took seat off and attached a rear bag on the passenger seat.
Nearly had an accident.
Filled up the tank!!! More about this later.
Fitted a temp LED x 2 for indicators whilst I get used to cancelling them.

Accident, I was turning right at a round about on my invisible bike and my massive invisible body. As I'm going round, guy just pulls out on my left, then sees me, then slams on, then apologises as I practice my emergency stop avoiding the side of his car.
Just a small single carriageway one, I'm starting to understand a riders frustration..

Filled up my tank...
So, no idea how to do this, putting the nozzle into my tank was a poor move as it just clicked off all the time. My bike has a metal round frame in the tank which I don't understand its purpose. But it just splashed everywhere when it hit that.

I also remained seated on the bike which was an error.

All the locks, gloves, cards, nozzle faffing around was a little dramatic to be honest.

Next time I will just get off the bike and go easy on the flow.

Thank god for pay at pump!

As people have seen, I am still getting used to the indicators remaining on after I turn. I'm getting better.
As a temp fix, I have fitted a little LED strip (12v) which works well. Not a permanent fixture, but the LED draws very little, so the relay is fine and the timing isn't affected.

Anyways, week 2 or 3 next. Wish me luck!

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:07 - 08 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, filling up the YBRs was a case of holding the nozzle at the mouth of the tank, and not depressing the lever all the way. You'll get used to it.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:19 - 08 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, don't worry about how much time it takes to refuel.
Cagers can bloody wait and of course, nobody will say anything because you're a double hard bastard biker.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:17 - 08 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indicators again?

I've got the point that I cancel the indicators on my car before the auto cancel gets a chance.

ChipBike
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:44 - 08 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Indicators again?

I've got the point that I cancel the indicators on my car before the auto cancel gets a chance.

That's part of my practising.

20 years of driving and not thinking about it.
I'm now practising in my car.

I'll get the hang of it.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:01 - 08 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bike on the sidestand with engine off when filling up: idea being, IIRC, if anything goes *spark* then you can run away. Was a video of a "motovloger (now dead)" sitting on the bike when the pump failed... prime example (didn't die from that incident, I should add).

Owning a bike is all about the faffery. I take forever to get ready, but wouldn't leave it behind to use public transport in a million years.

You should get 100 + miles per tank for not many liters so your trips will be cheap at least. The 125 cc's are a bit of a false economy when it comes to upgrading in that sense, but brilliant short run commuter tools.

~

In terms of your "accident" I get it all the time on mini-roundabouts I use every day. People get used to doing the same route with the same things happening and so play no attention; and then when I -- or you -- happen to use it as they go by they have no idea how to react.

Riding defensive is the best option, regardless of what the rules of the roads are. You may have the right away but if you've sussed that on that stretch of road people just speed across without looking then er on the side of caution. You'll probably win the claim if it happens, but if you can avoid getting hurled down the road then I would.

~

Also put some black tape over your gear indicator.. those things are the germ when it comes to distracting people.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:05 - 08 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:

Also put some black tape over your gear indicator.. those things are the germ when it comes to distracting people.

?

WreckTangle
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:37 - 09 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChipBike wrote:
Filled up my tank...
So, no idea how to do this, putting the nozzle into my tank was a poor move as it just clicked off all the time. My bike has a metal round frame in the tank which I don't understand its purpose. But it just splashed everywhere when it hit that.

Yeah, the ybr is a good bike, especially for someone who is new to the road on a bike, as it is dirt cheap to run (especially compared to a car) but the filling up issue is a price to pay to have that bike. You kinda have to put the hose in halfway, and sometimes you have to put it in at a funny angle, otherwise you get the stupid stop/start/stop/start problem which means filling up takes about 1000 years to do. However, I bet you love having a bike that only costs about £5/6 to fill up the tank, that will make most motorists look at you with envy Very Happy

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
NJD wrote:

?

sadly, a ybr does not have a gear indicator (not my old one or ones that I have seen anyway)[/quote]

question to the original poster, have you got the bike to it's full speed yet, as most people when they start biking, they struggle with high speed (I did, I almost shat myself in the first week by doing a whooping ........40mph Very Happy , go figure)

And.......on the light ybr just watch for strong winds Wink

Calumh96
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:53 - 10 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha what a week!

Don't worry about filling it up every bike has a knack to it. Personally I sit on the bike and stand it up admittedly at my own risk but I like to get that extra 50pence in the tank with it stood up right Wink

I think you done the right thing with the indicators as accidently leaving them on could put you in some serious danger!

After a while on the road you will learn to 'ride like you're invisible' this is practiced and preached by many big names amongst the bike community. If you act as if they cant see you (most of them don't) you'll find yourself preparing for drivers to pull out on you being ready to brake or avoid. Its frustrating that this is what we have to resort to due to the ignorance of some car drivers but needs must.

Good luck let us know how you're getting on! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:13 - 10 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't see you / haven't looked for you doesn't matter. With time you can sport them and learn to predict / avoid appropriately.

Don't be the twat who puts themselves in harms way to prove a point - no point being dead right.

You're clearly open to reading stuff .....

https://www.londoncyclist.co.uk/raf-pilot-teach-cyclists/

If more people knew about this, there would be lesss accidents.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 45 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1