BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New Zero electric bike.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:42 - 27 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's coming. I'm kinda glad I'll be ded when life is so controlled by government and corporations.

My energy supplier has given up with spamming me into getting a smart meter. Currently, if you move to a property which has one and you don't want it, you can have it removed for free.

To generate free leccy I think the only way would be to install lots and lots of solar panels. Should help keep bills low at the very least.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:01 - 02 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 360 watts of solar (I think its 360, somewhere near that anyway) on my boat.

Expensive German panels, top of the range MPPT solar controller and it all cost the best part of a grand.

In summer I get enough charge into my batteries to happily run my fridge, TV, internet and lights over night. In winter it's useless.

Yes it's free electric when you are out on the cut but if I was permanently off the grid I'd want at least twice the wattage just to be safe, and that's with a generator and the engine for backup on a boat.

For a house I reckon you would need your roof covering and that would only be worth it if you roof faces the right direction to catch the sun.

Solar takes a lot of space for not a lot of power.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:02 - 04 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting point on news feed today.

The Committee on Climate Change believes the cost of electric cars will be similar to that of petrol or diesel vehicles by 2024-25.

Now that to me is interesting because I cannot see battery prices dropping. Jaguar have already slowed down production if their I-Pace because they can't get batteries.

The UK's most popular electric car, the Nissan Leaf, costs £26,000 for a basic model. The government does provide a £3,500 subsidy but for many motorists, the cost is still too high.

So, is the government going to increase subsidy, drop VAT on electric cars or try and drive us off ICE vehicles by taxing them to the hilt. I know where my money is.

Another interesting point.

It has been estimated the UK needs to have 25 million charging points for electric vehicles. There are now nearly 11,000 places in the UK where you can charge electric vehicles.

That's one hell of a gap.

And the final point from that piece.

At present, there is a very small second-hand market for electric cars. That's because they make up less than 1% of the total number of cars on UK roads.

1%. Not the biggest take up. I expect there are more electric milk floats around.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40726868

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:18 - 04 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Now that to me is interesting because I cannot see battery prices dropping. Jaguar have already slowed down production if their I-Pace because they can't get batteries.

Not being able to get batteries could be due to various things. In this case, it seems that the Polish factory is not yet capable of producing enough per unit time.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:08 - 04 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brexit to blame?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:49 - 04 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
Brexit to blame?

Thank God. I though it was Gretas Gladiators being silly.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:18 - 05 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solar powered energy/transport.
3 acres of grassland.
Grow grass.
Harvest surplus for hay/silage.
Keep horses/mules/donkeys.

Ain't cheap or easy but it kept the country going for centuries longer than fossil fuels have.

And it's green.

Claud 14.7 to 1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:33 - 10 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seen the bike. Nice idea... just two things I'd like to see on electric bikes:

1. Not crazy long charging times.
2. Modular batteries so can charge one externally and easily it swap out for instant juice when in need.

Perhaps it would work better on smaller bikes, like scooters. I think we'll get there eventually on bigger bikes also.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 45 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3