Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

It would be a good time to campaign for motorbikes

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:46 - 13 Mar 2020    Post subject: It would be a good time to campaign for motorbikes Reply with quote

Public transport is expensive with a lot of downsides and now with the virus bringing this to peoples attention it would be a good time to push for bikes and their benefits

The UK has a continuing attack on private transport especially bikes. Labour introduced a lot of anti vehicle laws at the start of this century. Phony litigation has been made easier.
The last EU directive was made worse than it needed to be which pushes the cost up.

Are there any bike groups left to deal with these issues or are they filled with screw you got mine types and it's left to the grey area of common law right to travel supporters?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:03 - 13 Mar 2020    Post subject: Re: It would be a good time to campaign for motorbikes Reply with quote

Jmoan wrote:
Public transport is expensive with a lot of downsides and now with the virus bringing this to peoples attention it would be a good time to push for bikes and their benefits

The UK has a continuing attack on private transport especially bikes. Labour introduced a lot of anti vehicle laws at the start of this century. Phony litigation has been made easier.
The last EU directive was made worse than it needed to be which pushes the cost up.

Are there any bike groups left to deal with these issues or are they filled with screw you got mine types and it's left to the grey area of common law right to travel supporters?

Why would you want more bikes on the road, clogging up the filtering lanes?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:29 - 13 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could start a freeman of the land motorcycle group if you feel so strongly about it.

Gagged

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:31 - 13 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screw you, got mine.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:54 - 13 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, it'll be all electric bikes soon, and I'm not interested in those.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:08 - 13 Mar 2020    Post subject: Re: It would be a good time to campaign for motorbikes Reply with quote

Jmoan wrote:

Just to highlight where I went wrong in approaching these groups, in case it's of assistance to others in the future.

You look them up on the internet and read their literature, and you could easily be fooled into thinking they're all about riders' rights, when in fact that's an ancillary or legacy aim. To be fair to them, they are now beginning to adapt their outreach to make it more clear to outsiders and newcomers that they are primarily social organisations - a way for old pals to meet up and have a laugh. I think that's commendable, by the way. It prevents misunderstandings. A local-ish MAG group has changed its website to reflect and state this clearly. This makes things easier for everyone.

Also, when you approach them, you have the idea in your head "I want to help, so direct me which MP to write to and about what, and which council meetings to attend, etc." You feel active, energised and in a mood to do something. But they misread your energy and intentions, and think this about you: "Oh look, here's someone who doesn't want to do anything but expects us (MAG, BMF, whatever) to do everything on his behalf. These lot come here, put in nothing and put their demands upon us, they ask us about what we're doing about this or that, then they go away never to be seen again." Then you misread their intentions as apathy and laziness, when in fact they're on a sort of mini camping holiday.

All of this leads to crossed wires. In short, the social dynamics of riders rights groups in the UK needs to be taken into account. They can seem a bit cliquey, and this turns people off, but that's partly their fault as their stated aims are more about their past legacy than the present day reality. Would you go and drink or share a table with total strangers? Hmm, I guess not. But these groups don't meet in the local library but on late evenings at the local pub. You have to be quite socially astute to pick up on these signals and then use these groups effectively to further the interests of riders more generally. This is why there is some distance between normies and these groups. Mutual misunderstanding.

WreckTangle
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:12 - 13 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

not too sure if there are any groups that support this idea, but it's an interesting idea. bikes take up less space than a car.

It would be good if we start some kind of group or petition for this.

Lets take a case example.

I had a friend who went to the country vietnam, and there are bikes everywhere (as people use them as their main form of transport, as the government always makes car driving expensive with car import tax's etc) He says that the traffic in the cities flowed better than they would in the uk, as bike are more maneuverable and take up less space. If you have everyone in vietnam driving a car, the traffic just would not move (but the flip side he says is that they get very little training, and you might have the inconvenience of dying, as health and safety is non existant in their bike culture)

The only problem is that the government would loose tax revenue, as bikes use less petrol than a car and cost less to tax, and the nhs will suffer as alot of people who are used to driving cars, will get on a bike and realize that bike riding is not suited for them when they find that they have become one with the lamppost

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 19:54 - 13 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loud exhausts have made bikes so unpopular that I doubt anyone in officialdom will care about promoting them.

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:56 - 15 Mar 2020    Post subject: Re: It would be a good time to campaign for motorbikes Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Why would you want more bikes on the road, clogging up the filtering lanes?

More bikes = more filter lanes plus the DVLA can always lose some more licences like they did the last time if there's too much. Wink

Ste wrote:
You could start a freeman of the land motorcycle group if you feel so strongly about it.

Sure thing and anyone can join not just these freemen your always talking about but remember to gift us your motorbikes and gimp suits in case you get bumped off by the virus.

Bhud wrote:

You look them up on the internet and read their literature, and you could easily be fooled into thinking they're all about riders' rights, when in fact that's an ancillary or legacy aim. To be fair to them, they are now beginning to adapt their outreach to make it more clear to outsiders and newcomers that they are primarily social organisations

Tis the same with lots of other groups.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 22:36 - 15 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ACU/MAG/BMF are the recognised representative bodies.
Motorcycling was in decline from the 1973 compulsory skid lid and moped laws. Even more from the 1982 125 L-Plate restrictions; BUT has actually been on the increase since the mid 90's withe the Born-Again-Biker crowd remembering they had a motorbike licence probably gained on a Vespa in the mod era. Mid 90's DAS regs swelled the numbers more, and they have been on the increase ever since, especially with urban congestion and 'cheap' Chinky scooters.

To my mind you aren't proposing anything 'new' Mag were vaunting the benefits of the bike particularly for city commuting thirty years ago, and numbers have increased. So there must be some 'win' in there.

Meanwhile; we have culture of bikes being a five year phase for most riders, getting into it, getting enthusiastic (and evangelical!) about it, re-inventing the campaign wheel... then bluggering off again...

What do you want to see changed?
Why do you think any-one might change it?
Who do you think aught to be pushing these changes?

With all the increases in the last 30 years, bikes still represent less than 1% of road transport, and a far greater proportion of the accidents than their numbers. And we are our own worst enemy on that score, with far too many bemoaning compulsory crash hats and vaunting small plates and loud pipes and still going out with rebel without a clue ideals of 'Freedom' and 'Individuality' not helping the image one little bit....

If you want to make a difference.. why re-invent the wheel... join MAG/BMF, get a bit more involved than just chucking some change in the bucket, and start by cleaning your own house. We really dont need yet another inefectual lobbying body trying to fight the same futile battles; we have enough already... so look at them and ask why they aren't doing what you hope.... its NOT entirely I'm all right Jack, egocentricity....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 23:10 - 15 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a number of government plans and proposals in the UK, Germany and France to stop people using loud pipes. New noise measurement technology is being invested in. Bikes have become a pain in the arse to society just because a small number of people take the piss. This is pretty much the only motorcycle issue in the in-trays of the powers that be. As far as I know, none of our representative bodies are doing anything about this. Loud pipes make all of us look like self-centred antisocial morons.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 35 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1