Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Spray Painting Air Compressor help

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Tp1992
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 05:07 - 10 Mar 2020    Post subject: Spray Painting Air Compressor help Reply with quote

Hi,

Sorry if this has been asked before but I just wanted to put the question out there myself to get a answer for the specific model I'm looking at.

So I've been wanting to spray my bike for a long time and now I've finally decided to go a head with it and looking for any advice or info on equipment.

https://www.spraygunsdirect.co.uk/index.php/compressors-kits/standard-compressors/sealey-compressor-24-litre-2hp-6-8cfm-displacement.html#sthash.a1RHHXrC.dpbs

I'm looking to get this air compressor and would like to know if it'll be suitable for what I intend to do. I have a CB600F Hornet and would like to sprey the tank and plastics.

If this air compressor isn't suitable for the job then any recommendations would be appreciated Smile

I have a rough idea of the other equipment I need just not sure on the air compressor, are these things worth buying second hand to save a bit of money?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:53 - 10 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

TLD open your link yet.

Have you spray painted before?

Buying the gear is simple. 🤣

Prep, Paint choice and application is a whole barrel of laffs.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:25 - 10 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volume not big enough (50L +)

Also what MCN said.

I would suggest borrowing a compressor and buying your own gun (cheap) and have a practice. It may put you off 😁👍

That aside, I find it relaxing - if you have loads of time spare crack on and have a go.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:28 - 10 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

More volume is more volume, they go through air very quickly.

Oil-less bearings for preference.

Other considerations are:

1) Spray booth. The overspray makes a horrendous mess. It gets absolutely everywhere (including under doors, through keyholes, up under dust sheets). Also keeps dust off your piece. Ideally a sealed area with ventilation or all that overspray settles again. You can buy popup tent type spraybooths if you don't have an area you can section off.

2) PPE. Proper respirator or forced air ventilator, not just a dust mask. Most especially if you are using 2k paints. Minimum P3 mask for spraying normal paints. I'd want a proper forced air respirator (plugs into compressor, which you locate away from where you're spraying so it doesn't suck in the overspray) or gas mask for 2k coatings. They give off nasty fumes.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:05 - 10 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

[url]https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B074J9LDLB/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_LX6zEbCWAR31Y [/url]

This one is a 50ltr, higher flow rate, similar price to the one you were looking at
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dynax
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:09 - 10 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you have access to a hefty compressor don't bother, your other option although not as cheap would be using HVLP but for decent kit you are still looking at hundreds Thumbs Up

megaross
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 10:26 - 11 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it comes to spraying it's kind of waste of time unless you've got a big compressor (think 200l) which is capable of delivering the massive cfm of air required for a long length of time.

Spraying uses 12-18cfm and that is a lot of air. Also remember professional spray guns cause mass air turbulence so having a clean working environment becomes far more important than compared to spray cans.

24l is basically basically enough for blow gun and tyre inflator, maybe a small air ratchet or 3/8" impact. Most air tools that are even worth having you really can't run on something that small, they just aren't capable of throwing out enough cfm fast enough and would pretty much always be running.

Me personally? If a rattle can isn't good enough I'll pay a professional to do it, bikes aren't super pricy to get sprayed professionally anyway.

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:39 - 14 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

megaross wrote:
When it comes to spraying it's kind of waste of time unless you've got a big compressor (think 200l) which is capable of delivering the massive cfm of air required for a long length of time.

not necessarily.
i started with one of those cheap 25l jobbies for lidl/aldi.
after some practicing & buying a decent hose & good quality hvlp gun i was soon spraying 2 pack single colours on plastic fairings.
seeing as most bikes plastics aint that big, your not actually spraying for that long so the reservoir gets time to "refill".
they turned out far superior to any rattle can job.
biggers definitely better but the wee compressor certainly wasnt a waste of time, far from it.
it was crap with the rattle gun though (one of the reasons i went bigger)
imho its all about the gun, the products (paints thinners etc) & preparation.

cheers,
GAZ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 21:15 - 14 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will struggle running spray guns with large nozzles from a small compressor. You will get away with using a small compressor with a mini HVLP gun but you won't get much runtime between the compressor recharging. Luckily a mini HVLP spray gun is very cheap.

I've used a small compressor to spray Land rover door tops and they came out nicely, much better than using spray cans.

Nowadays I have a 14cfm compressor with a 150litre receiver with moisture filters which will do most things I need but is over the top for a normal home, it's 6' tall and weighs over 100kilos. I also run 3/8ths or 1/2" airline which helps get the air where I want it.

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:38 - 16 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
You will struggle running spray guns with large nozzles from a small compressor. You will get away with using a small compressor with a mini HVLP gun but you won't get much runtime between the compressor recharging. Luckily a mini HVLP spray gun is very cheap..

i didnt Very Happy & was full size gun with large & small "bottle" & 2 or 3 different sized nozzles.
BUT i would have if i didnt just do 1 panel at a time.
being silly, i didnt have an air fed mask so just using normal particle type (i know i know) .
so to minimise exposure had extractor fans on & was only in the room for a minute or so.
enough time to do 1 coat on 1 panel.
took me ages (2 or 3 coats of primer, colour coat & lacquer) but wasnt in a hurry & turned out surprisingly good for my 1st attempt (i got a lot of compliments when bike was back together) especially after compound etc.
never once did i have to wait on the tank refilling/recharging.
stuck to that method even when i got another compressor & decent mask but i agree a wee 25l would be no good for large surface areas but like i said most bike plastics break down into quite small bits & biggest is usually tank.
so wouldnt write the wee ones off, theyre great for that 1 off job. i only went bigger after a year or so as decided i liked doing it & bigger definitely makes it easier & quicker.

cheers,
GAZ
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 42 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1