36%
 36%  [ 8 ]
ZZR1400, tis the way my child
22%
 22%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 22

megaross
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 10:06 - 11 Mar 2020    Post subject: Ninja 1000sx (new) or H2 SX SE (used) Reply with quote

After a couple of years on a tiger 1050 and 20,000 miles of all season riding (bike is my main form of transport) I'm growing sick of adventure bike drawbacks and want to move back to a sports tourer with the emphasis on sports.

I'm at a point now where I can probably stretch my savings and a loan to get something a bit new and nice and want to move back on to a sports tourer as it fits the riding I like to do far better.

Budgeting probably a maximum of £14k I've come up with the two contenders.

A brand new Z1000SX would be nice, all the shininess and assurance you can break it in right that comes with a new bike. Never owned anything remotely new as a vehicle so that has it's draw, drawback seems to be lack of aftermarket parts for them though - my aim would be buy a stocker and fit it out how I want it (tasteful exhaust, crash protection, centre stand, tall screen and quick release givi luggage)

I could stretch to a used H2SX though, all the bells and whistles, more power, more suspension, more aftermarket parts and I could finally keep up with my ZZR1400 riding best mate (whilst seriously annoying him I have a nicer bike for once) probably outdo him in the corners. My only concern is whether I want to live with an absolute hairy monster every day and is it going to be a cramped tourer.

Mechanically I'd be doing all servicing and repairs myself, no stranger to taking bikes and cars apart right down to a box of engine bits, working with the electrical systems on modern stuff etc. So that's no concern.

I'm 6'6" and prop forward build, I've had a sit on both and both feel pretty much ok but to live with on long tours I'm dubious as to whether I'll end up cursing one more than the other.

What do we reckon, what would you do?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:03 - 11 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SX SE is a bit too much for commuting I think, and a bit too much as an only bike. It's meant for people who have 3 or more bikes that do different things I think, and it's a bit of a gimmick.

I rode the 2017 Z1000SX and it was a good bike. The issue with it was the turn in was a tad sluggish, and for me the vibes weren't all that good for me. The new Ninja 1000 seems to be better for handling according to all the reviews, with Kawasaki having tweaked the geometry somewhat. Personally I would go used over new, but if the new improved handling is important to you then that would certainly be my choice of those.

The ZX14 is far too much of a huge bus for me to consider I reckon. Powerful? Yes, but weight is the enemy of acceleration and handling, so the Ninja 1000 should win out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

megaross
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 14:38 - 11 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks MarJay, I suppose on the commuting front it's down to perspective. I've used bigger stuff as commuter/ town bike and have no qualms with that - I used to regularly filter through heavy traffic on my sprint 955.

Used Z1000SX come with a lot less of the nice rider updates for me. I suppose I could give it a year to wait for the Ninja to have a few lightly used bikes on the market and spend the money on better suspension and those giant cans of red bull.

Thing is with the H2SX there's always the sense of "Do I get one now when I'm 28 and my body can hack it or wait til I'm 50 and my joints creak like a bed in a whorehouse"

May have to locate a couple of demo bikes to compare the two I suppose Thinking

PotatoHead202...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:53 - 11 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigger stuff isn't terrible for commuting (I use my k1300gt) but smaller is better.

Forgive me, but why not something like a s1000xr or multistrada? They're surely going to be better for any filtering (emphasis on vision here) and I doubt a z1000 would keep up with either tbh at most speeds.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:24 - 11 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The draw back of that brand new Z1000SX is that you'll be the one taking a big hit on depreciation as soon as you wheel it out of the showroom. Whether that's outweighed by the advantages of the bike never being (ab)used by previous owners is a matter of opinion.

An H2SX would be a tempting option. Laughing

The real answer is as you say to find some demo bikes and see which you get on best with.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 15:33 - 11 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

megaross wrote:
Thing is with the H2SX there's always the sense of "Do I get one now when I'm 28 and my body can hack it or wait til I'm 50 and my joints creak like a bed in a whorehouse"

They are comfortable bikes.. If you're going to get a bad back bike, buy a GSXR1000 or R1.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:03 - 11 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZZR14 is a barge, very comfortable barge. If you are riding it around local A & B roads it's the wrong bike. If you are riding to Berlin it's the sensible choice. The speed doesn't even make up for the lack of handling, in real terms on the road it's not really much quicker off the mark than a litre bike and once you start playing in corners it will wallow. I thrashed one around the Stonehenge area and the only time it made sense was on the dual carriageway part of the A303 when it was luxurious and plush. Problem is when I came off at Andover all that comfort became irrelvent as I tried to muscle the thing round a potholed mini-roundabout.

Z1000, sensible choice.I've only been on one for 10 minutes can't say anything good or bad.

H2SX..... Not seen or ridden. It's supercharged, you only live once and the fun police will one day make owning one hard I'd buy this.

Though I think unless you have piles of cash in a vault somewhere 14k for a year round daily rider is mad. Better off buying a daily for a couple of grand and a serious toy with the remaining 12k.

megaross
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 09:30 - 12 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
They are comfortable bikes.. If you're going to get a bad back bike, buy a GSXR1000 or R1.

I actually would love a sports bike but I'm too tall, I've taken an R1 for a test ride and basically could not ride it - shifting gears and using the rear brake required awkward foot angles and feet off the peg. I was so cramped up on it and after an hour my knees and hips were in agony from being bent at awkward angles. Proper "Krusty the Clown" territory there.

Thing is while it might seem crazy to spend that much on a bike for year round use I've never had issues keeping corrosion at bay.

Bear in mind as well I don't just commute on it or use it for chores, it's used for regular fun rides and the odd tour. I've only owned a car (more an investment/ rolling project) for a few months and 90% of my mileage is still covered by bike so it is my main form of transport.

The reason a strada is ruled out is I want to get rid of an upright bike for a sportier stance - I considered a supersport but they're actually pretty small compared to most sport tourers which defeats the tourer idea unless you're smaller stature.

And S1000XR, eh I'm biased against BMW (and Honda) on the basis they don't excite me. I think they make good bikes the S1000XR is a great bit of kit but it's a BMW and more akin to an adventure sport and I'm trying to change from a tiger 1050 because I've found a number of bugbears about this kind of bike that have made me decide to return to a sports tourer kind of machine.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:28 - 12 Mar 2020    Post subject: Which one? Reply with quote

One of the bike mags did this comparison and the z1000sx won. I had one and it was brilliant. There's some good deals to be had on 19 models at the moment too.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:31 - 12 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for Z1000 here - had it getting on 2+ years now and love it as much as i did when i first got it.

That 1400 is a lump and the H2 ... feels like overkill.

Some cracking deals to be had just now and even more so if Corona takes hold ...... the new model year has quickshift up and down too along with better display and some other minor tweaks.

If you don't care about that i reckon you'd get a last year model for a fair bit less.

megaross
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 10:25 - 13 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

New model also has tft dash, cruise control, single sided exhaust (cheaper to replace aftermarket), slightly wider seat and a different steering rake angle. All of which are sort of selling it to me over the previous model.

Still wanting to try out a H2SX but reckon the Ninja with a decent race can and a dyno tune may be the way to go.

My thinking is it'll be more pleasant to ride something far more sensibly powered through the Pyrenees or whathaveyou than the H2SX which might feel like it's too powerful to really harness on anything other than a track or autobahn.

Any qualms with the suspension on the Z1000SX or is it pretty solid for an OEM unit?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:30 - 13 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

megaross wrote:

Any qualms with the suspension on the Z1000SX or is it pretty solid for an OEM unit?

Well, as I said the turn in wasn't great on the model I rode, but it also had Showa big piston forks and a really nice shock. With the geometry changes in the Ninja 1000 (2020) model I bet it's a weapon now.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:36 - 13 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently the OEM tyres don't help - RoadSmartIII are excellent in that regard.

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:12 - 14 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I didn't buy the ZZR1400 I know that every time I walked up to whichever bike I did get I'd feel a little sad.

Maybe not too much if it was supercharged, but a tiny bit sad..

megaross
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 14:25 - 18 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

1198 wrote:
If I didn't buy the ZZR1400 I know that every time I walked up to whichever bike I did get I'd feel a little sad.

Maybe not too much if it was supercharged, but a tiny bit sad..

Thing that puts me off a ZZR1400 is I know it's in reality a slower bike unless you're going in a straight line. I'd love one for touring alone but it's a proper one trick pony.

Plus with my mate having one it'd be like showing up to the pub in the same outfit. Funny the first time, except you'd do it every time you met up and it'd get a bit weird.

Think I'm basically sold on the Ninja 1000SX, in reality I'm thinking it's probably a much more affordable bike to kit out right, run, insure etc. and the H2SX is not going to be worth the obscene insurance, extra outlay etc.

Gotta go Fowlers saturday for brake discs for the tiger seeing as I'm up in Bristol for a meal with me sister anyway, might go a bit early and see what they're mad enough to let me test ride. Assuming the government doesn't force them to close anyway.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 39 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1