Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Most secure way to chain up a bike.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

ajhfarrar
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 01:32 - 18 Mar 2020    Post subject: Most secure way to chain up a bike. Reply with quote

What do people think is the most secure way to chain up a motorcycle besides through the frame. (My Z800 has nowhere to chain through the frame).

Currently I'm running a 16mm chain over the top of the steering column then underneath, behind the forks and attaching to a wall anchor. There's no slack left over in the chain after. Can anyone see a problem with this? Just never seen anyone else doing it like that!
(Picture attached)

Adam

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:45 - 18 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only that, despite the lack of slack, some knob will think they can wrestle it over the handlebars even though simple logic would rule that out.

Is there enough of a gap to get the chain between the top and bottom yolks? (Probably not, judging from the picture.) Or maybe some other part of the frame to loop through. TBH, back wheel is adequate for most people.

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 04:23 - 18 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it helps, I use the Abus 12KS/120 chain. It has a loop so you can almost double the usable length of the chain. This makes it easier to attach it to your bike at the most secure point while still being able to lock it to something else but without having to use something double the length (and weight). I highly recommend this chain. I haven't seen any other make that does loop chains but there must be SOME others out there that do them.

https://www.abus.com/us/Home-Security/Chains-and-Cables/Maximum-Security-Chain/12KS-loop

drzsta
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:57 - 18 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your set up looks ok aslong as there is no slack.

Pragmasis do a 24mm anti-pinch pin that goes through any part of the frame. That would be your only other option.

FretGrinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:57 - 18 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, it looks like some good force from a crowbar would make easy work of taking that out of the wall.

ಠ_ಠ

megaross
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 14:26 - 18 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

To a big fuck off doberman on speed.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:26 - 18 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that chain really 16mm? Looks thinner to me? But as said, the wall anchor looks weak to me and the easiest bit to break. I'd put it on the floor ideally but behind/under the bike so it's hard to reach (yes it means a bit of contortion to lock/unlock the bike but the difficulty faced by a thief would be more).

What I do (my bike doesn't have a way to thread the chain through the frame either) is park the bike against the garage wall as close as I can (leaning away from the wall), I then have a ground anchor sitting between where the bike sits and the wall roughly in the centre. The chain goes around the rear wheel and to the anchor and it is kept pretty taut. It'd be almost impossible to get to any part of the chain or the anchor with big tools and the way the bike is positioned it'd be hard to move it (it's up against the corner too so it can't be rolled away from the anchor to give slack in the chain). My VFR weights over 240kg and with access to only one side it'd be pretty hard work moving the thing.

That said, and it's an old statement but still a valid one, any security is only going to deter an opportunist or "amateur" thief; a professional will probably manage to deal with any security pretty much and the most you'd do is slow them down (which might be enough to discourage them, but if they want it they'll take it).

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 20:12 - 18 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

That chain looks like it could easily get cut through.

I'd replace that or use in addition to a dunked ground anchor and an almax 19mm. One through each wheel.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

superstacker
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:25 - 19 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at my 16mm Almax and looking at this chain, they don't look the same thickness at all....

T1Cybernetic
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:41 - 01 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

A ground anchor designed to be concreted into the ground is probably the best way with two huge chains through each wheel if you are at home of course.

Ultimately it all depends on how determined and well equipped the thief is Sad It's the consequences that need to be changed these days.

Last edited by T1Cybernetic on 15:01 - 02 May 2020; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo123
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 16:54 - 01 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run a chain through the swing arm (chain side) on my zx6r.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ScottT
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:34 - 01 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few weeks ago I ended up cutting a car tyre off a rim with my small angle grinder (mains powered) I thought a normal 1mm disk would make the job easy, in the end i went through 5 disks they just wore out so quickly.
Now If we can work out how to wrap a chain in a car tyre its going to take the thieving scum quite a bit longer to cut through your chain and he'll have to keep stopping to change disks and probably batteries as well.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:07 - 02 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScottT wrote:
i went through 5 disks

Shocked
Maybe they were made of cheese?
What brand (so we remember not to buy it) Mr. Green Thumbs Up

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:10 - 02 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScottT wrote:
A few weeks ago I ended up cutting a car tyre off a rim with my small angle grinder (mains powered) I thought a normal 1mm disk would make the job easy, in the end i went through 5 disks they just wore out so quickly.
Now If we can work out how to wrap a chain in a car tyre its going to take the thieving scum quite a bit longer to cut through your chain and he'll have to keep stopping to change disks and probably batteries as well.

So you think that the average cut the chain and lift the bike into a van thief uses such poor quantity disks? Rolling Eyes

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 18:33 - 03 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL even if they did wrap chains in tyre rubber and steel banding, there's always going to be a weak spot where you can't cover like the end of the chain or the padlock itself, that's where the thieves will target their cutters. Of course we all know you were joking and it was tongue in cheek Wink

Boxing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:57 - 03 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The padlock is what they'll cut through.

Either a battery grinder where you'll hear it for 30 seconds max or bolt crops in which you'll hear a loud pitched ping when they chop the lock, then they'll close the garage and come back after 30-60 minutes to walk the bike away.

If not, they'll take the whole anchor off of the wall.

Personally I wouldn't worry about at home security, the biggest threat is when you park the bike up in public. That's when they'll really have the balls to make noise and steal it in 30 seconds.

If they want it enough, they'll take you off of it.

Also, don't rely entirely on a disc lock alone when out and about, I see lots of bikes parked up with nothing more than a disc lock. I won't post on here, but all bike thief's know just how easy it is to remove one and what tool is required. Thumbs Up

My bikes don't ever sit in public without me being around them and at home I have a 5.5 stone American Bulldog ready to hang off their arms. Wink Do your research on the breed, they can cause some gruesome injuries if they get your arms. Mr. Green I wouldn't advise owning one if you can't train dogs, they're stubborn as mules to train as well.

It looks like you have the bike in a garage, so for extra security park a car up close against the garage door.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:44 - 03 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boxing wrote:
I see lots of bikes parked up with nothing more than a disc lock. I won't post on here, but all bike thief's know just how easy it is to remove one and what tool is required.

If they all know about it, isn't it worth telling riders who don't know about it, so that they can be aware and on their guard?

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 21:48 - 03 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Boxing wrote:
I see lots of bikes parked up with nothing more than a disc lock. I won't post on here, but all bike thief's know just how easy it is to remove one and what tool is required.

If they all know about it, isn't it worth telling riders who don't know about it, so that they can be aware and on their guard?

That's true. I doubt there are any would-be thieves out there that would use this tactic ONLY by finding out about it on here. I think if someone is the type to steal a bike they're already mixing in circles where they will learn regardless. Telling us how will only increase the knowledge of everyone else and understand how and why to protect against it.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:55 - 03 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuberculosis wrote:
I doubt there are any would-be thieves out there that would use this tactic ONLY by finding out about it on here.

Could always mass-PM interested parties not suspected of being bike thieves.

Anyway, never mind about all that, do you want to buy good some used bike parts? What bike? I can get you almost anything if you're not in too much of a hurry.

Boxing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:09 - 04 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Boxing wrote:

OK, I will post here, but I doubt all bike thief's know. If you have a strong flat head screwdriver or crowbar most disc locks will snap straight in half within seconds of applying force. Again it depends on the lock and I don't use disc locks, but even some of the more beefy and expensive ones are vulnerable to this sort of method.

Another method they'll try is to get a strong leverage on it against the forks, often this results in a damaged brake disc even if unsuccessful.

Also a scaffold bar in the links of a chain and turn it constantly results in the chain snapping, especially the Oxford tat.

But as I said, your bike is more vulnerable outside than it is at home.

And the biggest threats to being stolen are the 125CC's. The bigger bikes are usually stolen to be rung into legitimate bikes. But the thieves will just sell them. The newer the bike the higher the price, most GSXR's <10 years old are popular around my area for being rung. Along with ZX6R's. Anything that's a bit aged, with frames readily available on eBay will sell quickly, and the professional thief's know this.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:23 - 04 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boxing wrote:
OK

Oh I see. I know the sort of disk locks you mean, by chance I haven't got any, but you will have just educated some people I bet, including me! Thumbs Up

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 19:29 - 04 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boxing wrote:
OK, I will post here, but I doubt all bike thief's know. If you have a strong flat head screwdriver or crowbar most disc locks will snap straight in half within seconds of applying force. Again it depends on the lock and I don't use disc locks, but even some of the more beefy and expensive ones are vulnerable to this sort of method.

Another method they'll try is to get a strong leverage on it against the forks, often this results in a damaged brake disc even if unsuccessful.

Also a scaffold bar in the links of a chain and turn it constantly results in the chain snapping, especially the Oxford tat.

But as I said, your bike is more vulnerable outside than it is at home.

And the biggest threats to being stolen are the 125CC's. The bigger bikes are usually stolen to be rung into legitimate bikes. But the thieves will just sell them. The newer the bike the higher the price, most GSXR's <10 years old are popular around my area for being rung. Along with ZX6R's. Anything that's a bit aged, with frames readily available on eBay will sell quickly, and the professional thief's know this.

I use these on all my bikes etc. (we have a one key fits all locks system, had to be ordered in specially from Germany and wasn't cheap but really convenient as we have 3 bikes in the household plus a trailer so really convenient that any of us can lock/unlock any of the locks in the household with just one key that we each have, and more locks can be added matching the existing keys at any time just have to order it in from the supplier direct again using the code that came with the pack).

GRANITâ„¢ POWER XS 67/105HB50

https://mobil.abus.com/int/on-road/Locks/Brake-Disc-Locks/Brake-Disc-Locks-Motorbike/GRANIT-Power-XS-67-105HB50-yellow?type=adp

I was lead to believe these are super resilient and one of the best on the market, even resilient to the method you mentioned of using a crowbar to lever/twist it to break open. Is that not the case then?

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:42 - 04 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuberculosis wrote:
https://mobil.abus.com/int/on-road/Locks/Brake-Disc-Locks/Brake-Disc-Locks-Motorbike/GRANIT-Power-XS-67-105HB50-yellow?type=adp

I was lead to believe these are super resilient and one of the best on the market, even resilient to the method you mentioned of using a crowbar to lever/twist it to break open. Is that not the case then?

I don't think that's one of the sort he was talking about

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 19:47 - 04 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh you mean the big D-shape ones like this?

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcTwd82g9HMv-t_KRa4q18zZR9qIQ-dP95Cm0MnFUOLFfH5BkaMLsQRzjrpGeKgnNucGpcs6gJyt&usqp=CAc

Yeah I would image they would be fairly easy to destruct with enough leverage Thinking

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:50 - 04 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuberculosis wrote:
Oh you mean the big D-shape ones like this?

No. PM on way in a min. Edit: 'cos I am not sure adding to Boxing's informative and helpful psot is a great idea!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 356 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2