Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Not sure if this is true or not, brake discs.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:07 - 23 Mar 2020    Post subject: Not sure if this is true or not, brake discs. Reply with quote

So I took my bike for it's MOT today and was told the front discs are slightly warped (only advisory), the tester was telling me that if the bike sits for a while then this can happen because of the pressure from the brake pads on the discs... and that if the bike isn't going to be used for a while it's better to push the pads back a bit so they aren't resting on the disc.

Anyone heard of this before?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:15 - 23 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, not heard that the disc can deform from constant contact and pressure from pads while stationary. My Kawasaki project bike (now wrecked) had been left sitting for years, and the brake pads had seized to the discs. This was fixed by rebuilding the calipers. The discs were fine.
However, that isn't to say your discs aren't warped for some other reason.

If I had to lay up a bike for a while, I would remove the calipers from the discs altogether. It's true they seize up from being left alone.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:24 - 23 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's full of shit. The reason for pressing pads away from the disc is to stop them binding from rust. If you have the type of pads that can do that you can get a pulsing lever for a while as the disc passes over the rust pitting but as for simple pad pressure warping the disc, no, he's full of it.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:45 - 23 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it might have been garage BS, but at least this place didn't offer to sell me new discs.

Thinking about it, the longest the bike hasn't been moved is about 3 months, my (ex) VFR sat for the best part of 2 years without even being moved, and just needed brute force and ignorance to push out of my lockup.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:05 - 24 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tell him you wrapped an elastic band around the opposite side of the disk when it was stored to make sure it evened out Rolling Eyes

If the disks were that soft, they'd fall apart with normal use.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:23 - 24 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's virtually no pressure on the discs at "rest" otherwise you'd never be able to move the bike. They barely scrape the surface until they're applied.

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 14:30 - 24 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
There's virtually no pressure on the discs at "rest" otherwise you'd never be able to move the bike. They barely scrape the surface until they're applied.

Exactly!If the caliper floats on pins it may be partially seized, distorting the disc when applied, the pads should barely touch the disc at rest

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:44 - 24 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:

I was going to say the same thing, as soon as you let off the brake lever, there should be no pressure on the disk, the pads will be "at rest" against the disk, but not applying any pressure

brains_t
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:47 - 24 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had similar in the past but the mechanic told me disc locks tended to be the cause

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 15:28 - 24 Mar 2020    Post subject: Re: Not sure if this is true or not, brake discs. Reply with quote

andym wrote:
So I took my bike for it's MOT today and was told the front discs are slightly warped (only advisory), the tester was telling me that if the bike sits for a while then this can happen because of the pressure from the brake pads on the discs... and that if the bike isn't going to be used for a while it's better to push the pads back a bit so they aren't resting on the disc.

Anyone heard of this before?

Yep it happens with sintered pads. The discs and pads corrode where they touch and then when the bike is used the pads remove the corrosion and can leave a low spot on the discs.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:21 - 24 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warping from constant pressure and pitting from corrosion are not even close to being the same thing.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 17:37 - 24 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Warping from constant pressure and pitting from corrosion are not even close to being the same thing.

Agreed but the end effect is the same on a brake tester.

Chances are the MOT man was repeating what he had been told without truly understanding what was going on.

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 17:41 - 24 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this day and age there should not be any "ignorant MOT testers " left working

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 09:10 - 25 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a £40k surface table & a horrifically expensive ruby tipped CNC measuring arm to prove this . . .

I offer a bounty of £10k to anyone who can produce a genuine, physically warped brake disk. They simply don't exist & the phenomena that is wrongly described as "it's a warped disk innit mate" is something entirely different from a physically warped disk.

P.S. Don't go whacking it with an hammer or pressing it with 4tons of hydraulics . . . We can tell.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 09:15 - 25 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tankie wrote:
In this day and age there should not be any "ignorant MOT testers " left working

For somebody who has this
Tankie wrote:
Always learning, everyday is a school day
as there sig that's rather a shocking statement.
The MOT tester has identified a problem but got the reason wrong. You also didn't get the correct reason does this mean you shouldn't be allowed to comment in the workshop?

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 09:17 - 25 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the late 80's Yamaha had an issue with warped discs ( FZ, FZR ) caused by semi seized calipers. just because your an engineer does no make you right !

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 09:24 - 25 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sickpup , MOT tester now have to go though a much longer education process to get their licence , and go through regular up date course to retain their ticket , so they should be able to give a proper valid reason why he/ she feels that the machine does not comply with the standards required.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:24 - 25 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tankie wrote:
everyday is a school day

Your lesson for today is that "every day" is two words. The single word "everyday" is an adjective meaning "commonplace" or "nothing special".

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 10:29 - 25 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tankie wrote:
Sickpup , MOT tester now have to go though a much longer education process to get their licence , and go through regular up date course to retain their ticket , so they should be able to give a proper valid reason why he/ she feels that the machine does not comply with the standards required.

No they don't and they shouldn't give a reason. They should state there is x problem and then it is your job to find out what the problem is and how to cure it.
The MOT process is there to see if there is a problem not to diagnose what the problem is.

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 10:32 - 25 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this you background,...no your not correct, it was mine .

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 11:29 - 25 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tankie wrote:

Then you should know diagnosis of problems isn't part of the MOT.

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 11:32 - 25 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

But as a workshop it is, when the mot input has been done you revert back to your normal , probably repairing motor vehicles

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 11:47 - 25 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tankie wrote:
But as a workshop it is, when the mot input has been done you revert back to your normal , probably repairing motor vehicles

But we are talking about MOT tests so thank you for confirming that I am correct.

Tankie wrote:

Yes it is my background. I may not do it professionally these days but it's where I started out.

cimbian
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:30 - 01 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

NBR, but.

A friend in the US was constantly getting warped discs on his Beemer and would replace them every four months!

When I drove with him he was a shite driver and red-light drag queen. As soon as the light changed it was full-on to the next light where he would brake hard and late, then sit there with his foot hard-down on the brake (automatic Xmission). Then do the same thing, over and over.

I suspected that his discs were heating and cooling unevenly.

Suggested that he grow-up for a few months to see how he got on by using P and releasing the brake pedal when stopped, and it made a difference. Discs (rotors) lasted much longer.

Of course, he then had a choice to make. Drive like a knob and shell-out, or not... He's still a knob.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 25 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1