Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Motogadget M Unit

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Boycie
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:46 - 27 Mar 2020    Post subject: Motogadget M Unit Reply with quote

Greetings

I’ve installed an M unit basic in my Moto Guzzi G5 V1000 that I have build as a cafe racer.
The installation has gone well and I have functionality of horn, indicators, lights, brake lights etc.
Before I attempted to start the engine I decided to turn it over on the starter with the plugs out and establish some oil pressure before starting the motor properly ......
My expectation was that the starter would crank for the length of time the handlebar momentary contact switch was depressed, what actually happens is that when the switch is momentarily depressed and released the starter turns for 20 seconds or so before shutting off!!

Is this how it should work?
Is this normal?
Perhaps when the motor catches and starts the starter would shut off straight away?

The bike has a Bosch starter with integrated solenoid so it should be fine without additional relays.

I look forward to hearing from you
With best wishes
Boycie

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 16:21 - 27 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've got a Guzzi... and you thought it a good idea to add an accessory electric bit, to make the already idiosyncratic wop electrons even MORE confuzed?!?!?!?

I had no idea what an M tech unit was or might be good for.... so I googled it... it's so that you can rewire your bike, add and alarm, hazard warning lamps and talk to it via a smurf-fone!?!?!??!?!? My eyebrows are doing a wonderful job of keeping my bald-spot warm.......

Oh-Kay...

The suggested specs propose that the starter might be 'fused' via the wonder-wodget, up to 30A. If you have utilised this function me-thinks here may lay the problem.

A typical starter motorbike starter motor might just suck a couple of amps less than that, B~U~T the Guzzi isn't a motorbike... its a gun tractor! Or at least thats where its engine and transmission came from! And it utilised the car type 'Bendix' starter from a FIAT car, I think. Certainly the lead acid battery to power it!

OTMH the starter should be on an unfused hard wire straight from the battery, and so I SUSPECT there lies the error. Its sucking more amps through your widget than the widget's creators ever envissaged, and its having a brain fart trip out, and not tripping out instantly like a fuse or circuit breaker would, hence you get a few seconds of starter wirr.

Personally, with my experience of Italian elecrickery and Guzzi randomness in general.... I'd say just get rid! Rewire for simplicity and reliability on the KISS principle... its bad enough the tell-tale lamps telling tales depending on whatever was on TV last night, and your lucky enough to get indicators flashing, let alone when you want them to, let more alone one side together, so if you can get the basics to work, mostly when you want them to.. I'd call it a win and not push my luck! But, if gutisti... your probably mad enough to persevere, deturmined to have your gizmo..... but.... I'd lay odds on the fuseable rating being the niggle.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:01 - 27 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, the M-Unit. For those who can't build their own loom.

I rarely agree with teffers but yeah it needs firing into the sun.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:28 - 27 Mar 2020    Post subject: Re: Motogadget M Unit Reply with quote

M units
Rolling Eyes

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:12 - 27 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forced wrote:
Ah, the M-Unit. For those who can't build their own loom.

I rarely agree with teffers but yeah it needs firing into the sun.

Makes you feel dirty, I will go and have a good cry in the shower in a mo.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 2 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1