Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Motobatt - worth it?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

EazyDuz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:52 - 27 Mar 2020    Post subject: Motobatt - worth it? Reply with quote

Bit of a late question since i've already bought and installed a replacement battery, made by Motobatt. Had better CCA than similarly priced alternatives. Do they last longer than other brands?

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:00 - 27 Mar 2020    Post subject: Re: Motobatt - worth it? Reply with quote

EazyDuz wrote:
Bit of a late question since i've already bought and installed a replacement battery, made by Motobatt. Had better CCA than similarly priced alternatives. Do they last longer than other brands?

Look it up on Tayna, and see how long the guarantee is. The longer the guarantee, the longer the thing should last, but there are exceptions to the rule... it may give you an idea.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 23:07 - 27 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are fine. I've had 2 die in 4 years but I don't ride often enough.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:16 - 27 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fine through winter on my side, but that's with regular riding.

Slight problem with the one terminal coming loose at times due to hard to get at angle with the way it connects to the battery on one side but for me battery is easy to get to. First one of these I've installed so could have been me, or vibrations (been fine now for a while).

Easy to get replacement fitting kits if you loose something, and the whole four terminals means easy if need to add accessories in the future.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 23:36 - 27 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do die, but they take longer than other makes of battery that I've tried. By and large OEM seem to last the best but other components must wear too, so maybe batteries subsequently lasting less time is more down to loss of charging system efficiency rather than the batteries being measurably worse...?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:32 - 28 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motobat are OK.
I've had one in K1300 for four years. No issues.
On a Ctek charger too which can help.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:55 - 28 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't buy another.
Out of 3, 2 died within 6 months. One of those 2 had a slightly loose terminal, which then stripped out. I have never before stripped a screw on a battery They did replace that one to be fair, but I sold the bike with the replacement in. The other (won't hold charge after 6 months), neither the seller nor motobatt wanted to know and kept bouncing me back and forth. I rode this bike daily, reg/rec and stator voltages were spot on. It's sat outside with a couple of others until I bother to take them to the recycling site or give them to the pikeys. 3rd was no problem, went with the bike it was in.

They have QC issues, a good one will be really good, but a dud will be an expensive paperweight.

You can't go wrong with a Yuasa, and Powerline are good for a cheap battery.

droog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:36 - 28 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the cheapest battery I could find for my CBR - a Powerline from Tayna - I read the reviews before buying which were all good - it's still going strong a couple of years later - If the bike is standing for any period of time I give it a short boost on a low amp trickle charger for as little as half hour per day which as mentioned should be part of general maintenance if you want to max out the batteries service life.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:07 - 28 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^Guessing you have some external plug setup otherwise that's a lot of faff twice a day.

Reading between the lines------ I think you don't hook up the charger then decouple it half an hour later EVERYDAY.

If you do then may I suggest some vigorous sexual intercourse and some recreational intoxicant of your choosing.

PS Please do not track me down ...find me...and kill me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:53 - 28 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I don't buy cheap I always buy Yuasa. I've not got anything against Motobat but just about every bike manufacturer uses Yuasa so they can't be bad.

Saying that, how you look after your batteries is the reason they fail early. Let your battery go flat even once reduces it's capacity. Let it go flat a few times and the material in the plates starts to detach and when that happens your battery is basically toast.

I have cheapy (£400 worth of cheapy Rolling Eyes ) leisure batteries on my boat. They are still going strong after 2 years where lots of people are moaning theirs have failed in that time but again, it's keeping them fully charged as much as possible and never letting them drop below 12.2V standing.

droog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:00 - 28 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
^^^Guessing you have some external plug setup otherwise that's a lot of faff twice a day.

Mate - you read me like a book.

On the first question - Yeah - my charger comes with ring terminals/socket connector which is permanently attached to the battery - the socket pokes out under the seat so connecting the battery charger is a piece of p*ss.

Quote:
Reading between the lines------ I think you don't hook up the charger then decouple it half an hour later EVERYDAY.

If you do then may I suggest some vigorous sexual intercourse and some recreational intoxicant of your choosing.

Pretty good psychoanalysis on your part here - I do hook it up pretty much everyday when the bike is out of commission for a bit - but your comment has induced some self reflection - I'll try and explain; I used to enjoy regular sexual intercourse and getting off my face on a frequent basis - and at this time of my life I literally couldn't give a monkeys what state of charge my motorcycle battery was in. But then my life went tits up in a major way (due to not giving a f*ck) - so to try and sort my life out I probably went too extreme in the other direction and over compensated and have become excessively pedantic and boring.

So yeah - I agree - I do need to get some regular intercourse and intoxication back into my life and ease off on the battery maintenance.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:07 - 28 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can have it all dude...The sex the drugs and the battery maintenance.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

droog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:54 - 28 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
You can have it all dude...The sex the drugs and the battery maintenance.

Hallellujah! I have seen the light!!! lol - cheers mate - some timely advice.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:48 - 28 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Motobatt has been nothing but reliable in the six or seven years it's been in my bike.
I'd be reluctant to go for another brand tbh.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:04 - 30 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are good. I fitted one in 2012 with new wiring and new reg and its still going strong, I swapped it out of the cbr6 after 100k and now in a little 125 - which has more carb problems than anything so it gets a lot of abuse. Only replaced as they were cheap on ebay I got another.

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
I won't buy another.
Out of 3, 2 died within 6 months. One of those 2 had a slightly loose terminal, which then stripped out. I have never before stripped a screw on a battery They did replace that one to be fair, but I sold the bike with the replacement in. The other (won't hold charge after 6 months), neither the seller nor motobatt wanted to know and kept bouncing me back and forth. I rode this bike daily, reg/rec and stator voltages were spot on. It's sat outside with a couple of others until I bother to take them to the recycling site or give them to the pikeys. 3rd was no problem, went with the bike it was in.

They have QC issues, a good one will be really good, but a dud will be an expensive paperweight.

You can't go wrong with a Yuasa, and Powerline are good for a cheap battery.

You cant blame motobatt when its fitted incorrectly. Your bikes have been in the WHYDTBT thread with different electrical woes every other day..

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:33 - 30 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
You cant blame motobatt when its fitted incorrectly. Your bikes have been in the WHYDTBT thread with different electrical woes every other day..

The thread stripped. Never stripped one before, or after. Shit QC, nothing more. I said they changed it.

Just to be clear, I bought the bike with an old powerline and while it worked, it was tired. I replaced it with a Motobatt, which shit itself, and I put the old Powerline back in it and it worked perfectly. I then replaced that with another powerline. The motobatt was installed *after* I replaced the reg/rec & stator. Simple enough for your limited comprehension skills?

Go headbutt a tree or something when you haven't warmed up your stupid fucking race scrubs that you think automagically make you a better rider, you fucking douchenozzle. mmmkay?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:00 - 30 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had 2 on the KTM and both failed. Replaced it with a Powerline which has been much more reliable so far but it's early days.

I found the Motobatt kick over strongly but then fade out quickly if it doesn't catch on first few chuggachuggas.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:15 - 02 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
kramdra wrote:

The thread stripped. Never stripped one before, or after. Shit QC, nothing more. I said they changed it.

Just to be clear, I bought the bike with an old powerline and while it worked, it was tired. I replaced it with a Motobatt, which shit itself, and I put the old Powerline back in it and it worked perfectly. I then replaced that with another powerline. The motobatt was installed *after* I replaced the reg/rec & stator. Simple enough for your limited comprehension skills?

Go headbutt a tree or something when you haven't warmed up your stupid fucking race scrubs that you think automagically make you a better rider, you fucking douchenozzle. mmmkay?

Yet you have reg wiring bodges on the current page. Bad wiring will kill the battery, simple. To replace the wiring properly takes about an hour, I did mine in 2012 and has been trouble free since. Do it properly, or do it often!
Your bikes are heaps of shit.

I never made such claims. I use racetecs because they are cheap, and massively improve the handling of an old bike, and do not need to be warmed up. I openly admit I have had my arse down more often than my knee, Ive done 130k miles of comuting and never cared to go on a track.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 23 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1