Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Worth buying a bike?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Snorty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:44 - 26 Mar 2020    Post subject: Worth buying a bike? Reply with quote

There's not a lot to do at the moment, and I've been pretty bitter since I had my K5 stolen...

My insurance has finally come down to something I'd consider. Reckon it's worth getting a bike? Surely they can't stop me riding on my own if I'm just returning after...

Anybody had any issues out on theirs recently?

Past: CB125TDC | TZR125 | GPZ500 | CBR600F3 | ZX9-R | GSXR1000 K4
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 19:52 - 26 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not about issues on the road, it's if you do have an issue and need hospital or ambulance care. It probably won't arrive.

If I were you I'd wait until this crisis blows over and then buy a bike.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:19 - 26 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only ambo might not arrive, but if you do get sent to a ICU, one would assume, you are in the most likely place to catch the aids too. Not really worth it.

Wondering if any better deals will come up in a few months.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:12 - 26 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

As callous as it sounds, despite all the stuff in place from the government to help people financially, there are going to be some pretty desperate people flogging stuff in a few months time, and that will include bikes.

Whether you regard taking advantage of someone else's misfortune from this total fcuk up as ethically good or bad of course is something you have to decide yourself.

Blah blah
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:27 - 26 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The police have been doing 'stops' around here (Cornwall) for a bit to check if the journey is essential... You might be able to argue that a motorbike is essential to your mental health although they may not believe you.

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:19 - 26 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
As callous as it sounds, despite all the stuff in place from the government to help people financially, there are going to be some pretty desperate people flogging stuff in a few months time, and that will include bikes.

Agree.

UK stimulus package is about 50% of 1 quarters GDP and most of that is going to bail out large corporations (over BBB rated Corporate bonds)

I was going to sell a bike in June/July, wish I'd done that over Christmas now.
It's just 7 months mortgage payments sitting in the corner devaluing rapidly.

Now is not the time to buy!

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:45 - 26 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been out a bit - apparently Squires was really busy on Sunday. The cafe's closed but there's a burger van on the car park doing bits of food and drinks. Seaways was also really busy - mobbed in fact. But what these venues were like today I dunno. I've been out and about but not far and mainly to take prescriptions to in-laws and bits of shopping. The roads are unnervingly quiet.

There's an eerie and somewhat bereft atmosphere everywhere - not conducive to a proper enthusiastic ride.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:55 - 26 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now is not the time to go buying bikes and the extent of riding will involve going to the supermarket.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8158035/Police-streets-stop-drivers-lockdown-threaten-960-fines.html

Police warned the public to stay home or face arrest after ministers granted them unprecedented powers to enforce the coronavirus lockdown.

Boris Johnson has stressed that unless you are a key worker or helping someone vulnerable, the only reasons to go outside are to go shopping for essentials, exercise once a day or fulfil any medical needs.

Those flouting the rules face fines of up to £960, and police can now arrest anyone found outside without good reason.

In addition, the Director of Public Prosecutions yesterday warned that anyone deliberately coughing at 999 workers to spread coronavirus faces up to two years in jail.

Details about the sweeping new police powers emerged as checkpoints were set up on Britain’s roads by officers demanding to know where motorists were going.

In Cornwall, police threatened to search car boots to check whether drivers were off to the seaside, while elsewhere a force deployed drones to spy on dog walkers and ramblers.

A video posted online by Derbyshire Police shaming couples strolling in the Peak District was described as Orwellian by critics, with Silkie Carlo, director of civil liberties group Big Brother Watch, warning: ‘Over-the-top policing will not help the country to fight this pandemic.’

Ian Hopkins of Greater Manchester Police warned that some were treating the crisis as a ‘holiday’, leaving supermarkets with trolleys ‘full of booze and charcoal’. He told the BBC: ‘What we don’t want to enforce is a state of martial law... I’m appealing to people to be very, very sensible and not put lives at risk.’

Under the new Health Protection Regulations, police can fine anyone caught outside their home without a good reason. The fixed penalty notice starts from £60, cut to £30 for prompt payment.

Repeat offenders could see this doubled, to a maximum of £960. Those who fail to pay could be hauled to court where magistrates can impose unlimited fines.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:03 - 27 Mar 2020    Post subject: Re: Worth buying a bike? Reply with quote

Snorty wrote:
Anybody had any issues out on theirs recently?

I had a minor slide on some loose detritus.

andy_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:05 - 27 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
Seaways was also really busy - mobbed in fact. But what these venues were like today I dunno.

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/seaways.png

Snorty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:07 - 27 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair points guys.

The ambulance once especially... I've never needed one before but I guess that's why I'm typing this Laughing

I guess I'll just wait... I do think there's no risk in terms of corona from riding, they've just gone full on police state. Cunts.

Not ridden in 2 years, in fact it was 2 years ago today my bike got stolen Karma

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:07 - 27 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might pick up a bargain but for at least this three week period any kind of joyride is going to seem irresponsible at best, and even a minor injury like stitches in your hand could have ramifications
It will pass though, they are hoping for quite a modest peak now in as little as ten days.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:43 - 27 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy one and stash it away until it's 'safe' to ride ..
Taking advantage or helping someone out in financial dire straights - take your choice.

If you don't join in the bidding the seller will get an even lower price - assuming ebay.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:08 - 27 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
It will pass though, they are hoping for quite a modest peak now in as little as ten days.

That can't possibly be the end of it though. The issue isn't solved until the virus can no longer spread.

We're on lockdown until we reach the point of herd immunity, or a vaccine is created. All we can do until then is remain locked down to slow the spread to a level the NHS can cope with.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:27 - 27 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is going to be actually buying the bike... let's assume that prices all drop and people are desperate to get rid, you can't really justify going to meet someone to look at it or collect it can you?

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 12:21 - 27 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snorty wrote:
I guess I'll just wait... I do think there's no risk in terms of corona from riding, they've just gone full on police state. Cunts.

A lot of counties medical services are having to choose who dies because there is not enough beds/medical equipment to treat everyone.

The lockdown is in place to not put us in that situation.

All you are being asked to do is stay inside.

But I guess the government and the nhs are the cunts right?

Bikes will still be there in the next few months.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:21 - 27 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tdibs wrote:

A lot of counties medical services are having to choose who dies because there is not enough beds/medical equipment to treat everyone.

Sounds harsh but yes, this. Some rapper had an accident on a quad bike this week... He was a knob for riding his quad during this lockdown. People are all "I hope he's OK" but really he's taking up NHS resources which could be used for treating Covid. I do hope he recovers quickly, but also, he's a pratt.

Snorty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:33 - 27 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tdibs wrote:
Snorty wrote:

The government certainly are, no argument there lol. And my point was that if im socially distancing then im not going to affect covid.

Following people with drones who have taken themselves away from people, driven in their cars. If theyve avoided other people whats the issue?

Snorty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:36 - 27 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
doggone wrote:

That can't possibly be the end of it though. The issue isn't solved until the virus can no longer spread.

We're on lockdown until we reach the point of herd immunity, or a vaccine is created. All we can do until then is remain locked down to slow the spread to a level the NHS can cope with.

This will take FOREVER. Guess it's back to getting wrecked on a weekend at home.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:40 - 27 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't apparent a couple of weeks ago, before the lockdown, but now I think it's evident that lots of people and businesses won't be in the same economic situation as they were. So, if you buy a bike from anyone, watch your money. Some sellers may be blinded by wishful thinking, and see your money as operating cash flow. Thinking more about commercial bike shops here. Wishful thinking is much easier when you're handling other people's money, and not your own. There may not even be a bike at the end of it, and you may be lining up with your county court judgment along with the rest of the creditors when they wind down (today, tomorrow, next week, next month, who knows).

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 15:17 - 27 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:

Not quite... A simple to administer antibody test which is cheap to buy and produced in enough quantity could end the lockdown. Those who have it could isolate, and those who don't or more importantly are immune can carry on as normal. It may allow some semblance of normality.

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:01 - 27 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a GSXR1000 k5 on 18th march just before lockdown happened

glad i did as i had no transport other than public transport

Will be interesting to sell prices when lockdown ends

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 18:43 - 29 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others have said, sometime within the next couple of months may be the time to buy as some hard up people will be looking to sell some of their luxuries. That's not your fault. These people would be looking to sell them whether you were interested or not. I don't think there's a moral issue here, if anything you're helping them out in an otherwise stagnant market to get some necessary cash in. So if you can afford it, some time within the next few months would be the time to do it I think.

As for collecting it, difficult, you could make up any number of excuses to be out and about. So long as you're sensible you should be able to justify it to yourself and sleep at night (i.e. lots of hand washing, wear gloves, helmet doesn't come off, no stopping on the way there and back except for fuel) all these things should be fairly low risk of spreading/contracting. Not really in the spirit of things but could get the job done. I don't know what your personal circumstances are but you could argue you can't work from home and your other mode of transport has broken down and you need a replacement to get to and from work and/or to help your vulnerable friends and relatives collecting their shopping and medication, or you could argue you're replacing it with something more economical because you can't afford to keep running your current transport it in the current financial situation.

You could also argue you've been put out of work and the bike is part of a new business venture being a courier rider and/or deliverying shopping and medication for those who need it. Or as a means to volunteer.

I'm not saying it's in the spirit of things, but any quick-thinking individual could come up with a variety of reasons/excuses to be out and about to avoid prosecution.

Or you could arrange delivery. I think I paid as little as £150 for nationwide delivery once IIRC. That's helping keep someone in a job.

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 19:02 - 29 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuberculosis wrote:
As others have said, sometime within the next couple of months may be the time to buy as some hard up people will be looking to sell some of their luxuries. That's not your fault. These people would be looking to sell them whether you were interested or not. I don't think there's a moral issue here, if anything you're helping them out in an otherwise stagnant market to get some necessary cash in. So if you can afford it, some time within the next few months would be the time to do it I think.

The only thing I would add to this is don't be a twat and pull their pants down over the asking price if you can see they're desperate for the money (LOL). I think a 5% reduction on any asking price is reasonable in most circumstances.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:09 - 29 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuberculosis wrote:

Or you could arrange delivery. I think I paid as little as £150 for nationwide delivery once IIRC. That's helping keep someone in a job.

In the PCE (Pre-Coronavirus Era) I used to get bike delivery quotes via Shiply, if I was considering buying a bike from a private seller on Ebay. It was surprising how competitive those quotes were, although perhaps not all the movers had the right straps. Ebay bike ads from dealers typically quoted £99 for nationwide delivery (as the bikes may have already been a bit overpriced).

If I buy anything bike-related now, I will be sure to leave positive feedback on Google Reviews, as things are bound to be tough for the industry, independent sellers and dealers alike, for a while. People who can fulfil orders and deliver as per expectations in this climate deserve the promotion and recognition.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 27 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2