Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Insurance Issue

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Davs
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:50 - 10 Apr 2020    Post subject: Insurance Issue Reply with quote

Okay so im at the point in my life where i want a bike, however i do not have a garage and i do not trust leaving it outside no matter how many locks etc i put on it, (London thefts have put me off locks for life)
so ive done some digging and came to the conclusion that im gonna put the bike into storage all year round, apparently its a pretty popular thing to do atleast in USA, it wont be used as a commuter, just a toy for whenever i feel like using it, its roughly £700 for a year storage, which i can afford for piece of mind.

Now heres the issue, whichever insurance form you fill out online, NONE of them have storage as "place kept overnight" just the usual garage,driveway,road i mean im tempted to say garage, but in the event that i did need to claim, im thinking they would bend me right over.
Ive also noticed the insurance companys are super slow to update security on the forms, i mean Almax series 3 is as far as it goes on compare sites, series 6 is out now.... and well pragmasis isnt even listed Rolling Eyes

Any thoughts?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:58 - 10 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd call it a locked garage away from home. Assuming it's an indoor storage unit.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:09 - 10 Apr 2020    Post subject: Re: Insurance Issue Reply with quote

Davs wrote:
Now heres the issue, whichever insurance form you fill out online, NONE of them have storage as "place kept overnight"

Any thoughts?

1) Phone up the storage people and check that they are OK with you doing this.
2) Phone up the insurance company and tell them what you are doing, and ask what to put.

I would have thought that's a pretty secure solution, but whether the storage people will be OK with it is another matter.

Davs
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:23 - 10 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes its an indoor secure storage unit and i have already asked the storage company, they are completely fine with it, only requirement is i have to drain the petrol out
when its stored which isnt a big issue, geuss i will have to ring up MCE and see what they say on the issue as they are the cheapest by a long way.

dynax
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:29 - 10 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davs wrote:
Yes its an indoor secure storage unit and i have already asked the storage company, they are completely fine with it, only requirement is i have to drain the petrol out
when its stored which isnt a big issue, geuss i will have to ring up MCE and see what they say on the issue as they are the cheapest by a long way.

I think it will get very tedious very quickly, draining the tank, carrying a fuel can around all the time, as you will need to take the can with you when you leave, either coming or going, plus what transport will you use to go there and back home again, and if a car can you leave it there for the day or will they charge you for parking, or are you using public transport, needs some serious thought Thumbs Up

Davs
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:33 - 10 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luckily its free parking at the store so thats not an issue, infact i would have to go past my car to exit, so can just put the petrol can in the boot and vice versa so its not a big deal

The things you have to do to keep your bike safe Laughing

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:23 - 10 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davs wrote:

The riskiest part of it all is insuring with MCE I would say.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:46 - 11 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having to drain the petrol every time you put your bike away is going to get really fucking annoying. Laughing

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 22:20 - 11 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Having to drain the petrol every time you put your bike away is going to get really fucking annoying. Laughing

Not to mention storing with a full tank is preferred to empty. Enjoy the rot.

Spend £700 on security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 14 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1