Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

CBT tests during Covid?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ed26
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:00 - 20 Apr 2020    Post subject: CBT tests during Covid? Reply with quote

My CBT test has just run out and not able to take another until Covid is over.. as with MOTs has there been an extension allowance during this period?. I am still working and need bike for work. Otherwise will need to borrow a car.. have searched various sites without much help. Were it not for work, would happily leave in garage until this is all over... if anyone knows anything would be much appreciated. Thanks

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:01 - 20 Apr 2020    Post subject: Re: CBT tests during Covid? Reply with quote

Ed26 wrote:
My CBT test has just run out and not able to take another until Covid is over.. as with MOTs has there been an extension allowance during this period?. I am still working and need bike for work. Otherwise will need to borrow a car.. have searched various sites without much help. Were it not for work, would happily leave in garage until this is all over... if anyone knows anything would be much appreciated. Thanks

I've been trying to find that out myself, since The Boy needs to re-do his CBT. I did ask DVSA (1st. April). No reply.

Call DVLA/DVSA? Ask your local purveyors of CBTs?

Ed26
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:08 - 20 Apr 2020    Post subject: Re: CBT tests during Covid? Reply with quote

[quote="Riejufixing"][quote="Ed26"]My CBT test has just run out and not able to take another until Covid is over.. as with MOTs has there been an extension allowance during this period?. I am still working and need bike for work. Otherwise will need to borrow a car.. have searched various sites without much help. Were it not for work, would happily leave in garage until this is all over... if anyone knows anything would be much appreciated. Thanks[/quote]
I've been trying to find that out myself, since The Boy needs to re-do his CBT. I did ask DVSA (1st. April). No reply.

Call DVLA/DVSA? Ask your local purveyors of CBTs?[/quote]

Thanks for reply, tried that today and couldn't get through. No info on their site or on Gov.org. Good luck!

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:11 - 20 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe contact the training centres in your local area?
E-mail if you can’t get a reply on the phone maybe/possibly???

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:18 - 20 Apr 2020    Post subject: Re: CBT tests during Covid? Reply with quote

Ed26 wrote:
Thanks for reply, tried that today and couldn't get through. No info on their site or on Gov.org. Good luck!

Called DVLA just now. Closed! Can search for "contact DVLA" on gov.uk, DVLA's message says "if you are a key worker".

Any key workers fancy asking DVLA the question?

EDIT: Perhaps "they" assume that non-keyworker riders wanting CBTs do not need to renew their CBT because they won't be riding anywhere. Key workers can come to an arrangement witrh their CBT provider, AFAIK.

EDIT: Right. I have contacted a local CBT provider. They suspect that the above is true; non keyworkers with expired CBTs "don't need to go anywhere"; the government have not extended CBTs like they have MOTs, and do not look likely to do so. They also said they'd closed down for the duration, but were still taking "people who really need their CBT", i.e. key workers, just possibly people who really do need to get about (e.g. go to the chemist/hospital/similar) but are not key workers, at their discretion, but would *not* look kindly on piss-takers, i.e. people trying it on.

Ed26
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:38 - 20 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="pepperami"]Maybe contact the training centres in your local area?
E-mail if you can’t get a reply on the phone maybe/possibly???[/quote]

Think that'll be my next port of call, though I had heard they were closed, may be some sort of messaging service.

Thanks!

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:43 - 20 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed26 wrote:
Think that'll be my next port of call, though I had heard they were closed, may be some sort of messaging service

If you need your bike for work, you never know, you might find someone prepared. I was told "Whoever it is, if it was a new CBT, not a renewal, no way" I think tester's discretion applies for genuine cases.

Ed26
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:48 - 20 Apr 2020    Post subject: Re: CBT tests during Covid? Reply with quote

Any key workers fancy asking DVLA the question?

EDIT: Perhaps "they" assume that non-keyworker riders wanting CBTs do not need to renew their CBT because they won't be riding anywhere. Key workers can come to an arrangement witrh their CBT provider, AFAIK.

EDIT: Right. I have contacted a local CBT provider. They suspect that the above is true; non keyworkers with expired CBTs "don't need to go anywhere"; the government have not extended CBTs like they have MOTs, and do not look likely to do so. They also said they'd closed down for the duration, but were still taking "people who really need their CBT", i.e. [b]key workers[/b], just possibly people who really do [u]need[/u] to get about (e.g. go to the chemist/hospital/similar) but are not key workers, at their discretion, but would [b]*not*[/b] look kindly on piss-takers, i.e. people trying it on.[/quote]

Thanks for that info, not a critical worker, but an essential one, at the moment anyway! Bit too far to walk to work... will try our local CBT provider tomorrow, maybe have to show proof of working/type of work? Otherwise, will find out about getting on insurance of someone willing to lend me their car! If I find any more details, will post on here. Thanks a lot for your help, much appreciated!

Ed26
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:53 - 20 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

One day I'll manage to find the money to take full test.... hopefully! :D

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:48 - 20 Apr 2020    Post subject: Re: CBT tests during Covid? Reply with quote

Ed26 wrote:
Thanks for that info, not a critical worker, but an essential one, at the moment anyway! Bit too far to walk to work... will try our local CBT provider tomorrow, maybe have to show proof of working/type of work?

I's entirely at your CBT instructor's discretion. There's no law that says you have to be a key worker, but the instructor probably won't want a load of hopefuls calling him up and claiming to be one, so I'd be inclined to just have a chat, and explain your situation. Saying you can show him your work ID or whatever would probably be a helpful thing. You are working, you need to be at work because you can't work from home, if you can't ride it will cause you a great deal of difficulty 'cos that's the way you get to work. That sort of thing. You'll have to get your bike there, of course, unless you use theirs, and you can say of course you've already got the clobber, so you won't need to use theirs, and the whole thing can be done using "social distancing"....

Ed26
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:16 - 20 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great advice, thanks for all that! I can borrow my Dad's van to take bike down and everything else easy to sort. Will see what they say. Shame they seem to assume 125cc riders won't [b]need[/b] to ride.... but do understand their reasoning. Tough times, respect to all key workers and certainly wouldn't dream of flouting the lockdown rules. Cheers!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1