Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

So...what book are you reading at the moment?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Clanger
Stirrer

PostPosted: 16:49 - 21 Apr 2020    Post subject: So...what book are you reading at the moment? Reply with quote

I just checked back and it was September 2018 since anyone wrote in the old thread...wow, what happened? Did all the readers suddenly stop reading? Shocked

Anyhow, I went looking for the thread because I just wanted to share the last book I read: Echo Park by Michael Connelly. It's an old book, granted, but thanks to the charity shops I've managed to find a lot of Michael Connelly books...I do find him an extremely good author.

This series of books is with the character Detective Bosch who has now made an appearance on Prime videos. Anyway, I have to say Echo Park what a superb read. Thumbs Up

hedgehugger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:06 - 21 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm slowly reading my way through the Witcher series again. Times of Contempt is the current book.

My reading time has really gone downhill recently, though I did manage an hour or so straight in the garden the other day. I tend to read either first thing in the morning, or last thing at night. Read for longer in the morning, fall asleep with my nose on the Kindle @ night Smile

I spotted that Stephen King has a book of short stories coming out in a day or so, so that is my next read.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:17 - 21 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m not a great book reader, much to my shame.
However, now that I/we have more time on my hands, I’m finishing a book I’ve been flitting with for a while.

It’s ‘ Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep’ by Philip K Dick .

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:21 - 21 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The story of the Bristish Isles in 100 places by Neil Oliver.

Good read so far.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:20 - 21 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carrying the fire by Michael Collins (Apollo 11 astronaut)

The Singularity Trap by Dennis E. Taylor, author of the absolutely brilliant Bobiverse trilogy

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:07 - 21 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading the last Terry Pratchett book. "The Shepherds Crown".

Kind of sad, a lot about death and legacy in it when you know it was written during the descent into and agressive form of altzeihmers. Not wanting to put any spoilers but he kills off a MAJOR discworld character in it early doors.

Just finished the Phillip Pullman Book of Dust. I like it because it has a canoe in but I also think he's not really a very good writer. His prose is, frankly, a bit on the wooden side.

Iffy fantasy writing is all too common and while I like the genre, I think a lot of the popular authors are a bit crap. Espeicially when it comes to believable dialogue and characterisation. I think hands-down the best in terms of quality of writing is Robin Hobb, with an honourable mention to Raymond Feist... I'm not sure which wins the prize for most unbelievably extended plot. Both also deserve a gold star for tying up all their plot threads in the final book (after 16 books in Hobbs saga and an astounding 32 in Feists series).

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 22:16 - 21 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to get hold of a bunch of books for my Kobo ereader. One set of which is all of the Battletech novels. So I'm kind of working my way through those. Don't judge, I like giant fighting robots OK?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

BigTim
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:01 - 21 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fate is the Hunter by Ernest K Gann

about the early days of commercial airline pilots in USA, from just before WW2 onwards.

about half way through at moment and they been roped into delivering stuff to Greenland , Iceland and UK during war.

all risky seat of you pants trailblazing.

charity shop find so cant complain £1.75

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:11 - 21 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently been read by me:-

The Man on the Street by Trevor Wood, a 'who done it' murder mystery, but from the perspective of a homeless man with PTSD and if that isn't bad enough for the poor sod, he is living on the street in Newcastle.

A Wrinkle in the Skin by John Christopher, about a gigantic seismic event that leaves most people dead in the Channel islands and also makes the sea vanish. The main character walks to southern England on the old seabed.

Who Sent Clement by Keith A Pearson, the first of a trilogy about a 1970s dead man who returns to help someone in trouble and who knows nothing about life in the 21st century. Very funny in places, especially if you grew up in the 70s and I had to get the sequels afterwards as it was quite gripping. Hoping there is a fourth book.

If you get a chance, read The Silver Spitfire, a true story (or so the author says) about an RAF pilot who ends up as an (abandoned by the RAF) liaison officer with the recently arrived US Air Force in England and who later acquires a hookey Spitfire left by an angry Polish pilot who gets on the bus and never comes back. He gets it stripped back to bare metal, manages to get it new wings and an engine without going through official channels and eventually even gets a teardrop canopy conversion with bribes and then does whatever he wants for a while until the ending months of the war when he realises he will get into trouble and has to try and work out a way of getting rid of it which proves more trouble than you'd expect.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:13 - 22 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I chose a book at random from Morrisons a few weeks ago: The Stationary Shop of Tehran.

Going by the blurb, I expected something about the Iranian revolution. Instead I got a terrible romance written by someone who lived in Iran for two years after the revolution, and now has clearly decided to do a "getting back to my roots" effort of some kind... by attempting to write with authority on something she didn't even live through. It was like reading the work of a high school student. A chore to finish.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:35 - 22 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished the with Witcher series.

Now reading "First Light" by Geoffrey Wellum. Basically his memoirs from joining the air force and flying spitfires during the war. Excellent read.

I second Raymond Feist if you like fantasy. I read the first two of his books and I'm going back to the rest after first light.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 08:25 - 22 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:

A lot in there that's contributed to Sci-fi films. It's what Blade Runner was based on.

Another in that category (future dystopia) which inspired loads of concepts used in films (The Matrix being the most obvious) is Gibsons "Neuromancer". Very challenging to read though, you can't follow it half asleep.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:12 - 22 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

In recent weeks I have read:

Into the Wild,
Lila: An enquiry into Morals,

Currently I am reading Stephen King's The Dark Half.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:24 - 22 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
pepperami wrote:

A lot in there that's contributed to Sci-fi films. It's what Blade Runner was based on.

Another in that category (future dystopia) which inspired loads of concepts used in films (The Matrix being the most obvious) is Gibsons "Neuromancer". Very challenging to read though, you can't follow it half asleep.

I know Thumbs Up
It was seeing ‘Blade Runner’ that inspired me to get the book.
Blade Runner is number two in my all time top ten films.

I also have waiting as my next read ‘Jack’s Return Home’ by Ted Lewis.
That novel was made into ‘Get Carter’, my all time favourite film.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:38 - 22 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went back and reread 'Red Storm Rising' after it turned up with wifie doing a spring clean.

An early Tom Clancy book if anyone hasn't heard of it. WW3 and still a good book even despite the Americans are great and bound to win attitude. It's obviously out of date because of the fall of the USSR but still worth picking up if you are into that sort of book.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:58 - 22 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blurredman wrote:

One of my favourites. I kind of wish he'd quit with the spooky stuff though, and just write crime novels based on characters similar to the ones he writes in this book, keeping his style as is, with all the Americana, the dark humour, rock 'n' roll references, and folksy side. It would be pulp fiction, but I think he would do it well.

I've recently discovered two short story collections of his on my Kindle that I hadn't read. How did that happen?! Smile

Think I'll be re-reading some of the Mob histories next, having been watching a couple of podcast interviews with Sammy 'The Bull' Gravano (Gotti underboss) and John Alite (Gambino hit man under Gotti). The Mob fascination keeps resurfacing with me. Evil bastards on the whole, but can't help but be fascinated by it all. Alite has recently started a new podcast with Gene Borello, another 'retired' mobster of more recent vintage, mainly aimed at persuading kids to keep away from that life, but I find the stories of their escapades quite compelling, and they have guests from it who talk more openly about it all than I've heard before. Probably still a lot of lies and/or half truths - I suppose they don't want to incriminate themselves further, don't suppose they've confessed everything to the Feds - but some are actually quite good story tellers, and some certainly have some stories to tell, economical with the truth or not.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

BigTim
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:31 - 22 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:

Now reading "First Light" by Geoffrey Wellum. Basically his memoirs from joining the air force and flying spitfires during the war. Excellent read.

A fantastic book.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:52 - 22 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading the Last Kingdom series by Bernard Cornwell (he of 'Sharpe' fame). It's about Wessex and Alfred the Great. Currently on book 3.

The books are far better than the TV series.

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:09 - 22 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
Reading the Last Kingdom series by Bernard Cornwell (he of 'Sharpe' fame). It's about Wessex and Alfred the Great. Currently on book 3.

The books are far better than the TV series.
His Arthurian ones (only a trilogy thank god) are much better, read them more than once, starts with The Winter King. I like them because they are not really about Arthur and are not written from his point of view.
LiMoON This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:38 - 22 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got "Hollywood Godfather" by Gianni Russo, having watched another podcast interview. Don't know if he's making any of it up, but should be a good read anyway Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:55 - 22 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished reading Hitchens
Mother Theresa, The Missionary Position.
(Auld cunt.)
Getting through....
Richard Rhodes
The Making of the Atomic Bomb.
The connective history surrounding it is fascinating.
And Richard Dawkins
The God Delusion.

Plus everything - posts. 👍

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:55 - 22 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Just finished the Phillip Pullman Book of Dust. I like it because it has a canoe in but I also think he's not really a very good writer. His prose is, frankly, a bit on the wooden side.

I've not long finished the second book. It's not bad apart from dragging a bit in places but I did think the first one had some decent pace to it.

Going to have to wait for the third and final book though...

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:29 - 23 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Blurredman wrote:

One of my favourites. I kind of wish he'd quit with the spooky stuff though, and just write crime novels based on characters similar to the ones he writes in this book, keeping his style as is, with all the Americana, the dark humour, rock 'n' roll references, and folksy side. It would be pulp fiction, but I think he would do it well.

I've recently discovered two short story collections of his on my Kindle that I hadn't read. How did that happen?! Smile

I myself quite like his 80's to mid 90's period spooky stuff. It is my opinion that I enjoy this time more than when his other books came out. When his writing got sleaker, and he was become so very popular and indeed with the publicity of being outted he himself became popular and prolific from that.

As someone who has read his early and very long 1000 page books. I can say with certainty that I think his style has got better, and that his ideas, whilst maybe not original are at least not as obvious that he had influence from other books/people.

Read 'Earth Abides' by George R. Stewart and then read King's 'The Stand' and you'll see what I mean by the above sentence..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:34 - 23 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discovered the author Blake Crouch.

I read "Dark Matter" first and found it very hard to put down. Then decided to have a look through his other books and found his "Wayward Pines" series... Loved them. They had a Stephen King feel to them but I think they were much better written.

Great SciFi!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 340 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7