Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Labour!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:54 - 18 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lolz

https://twitter.com/i/status/1229509172238090246

Labour leadership challenger Lisa Nandy has said she would vote to abolish the monarchy at a referendum but admitted she would 'quite like to see' Meghan Markle one day become Queen.

Tries to virtue signal in two (contradictory) ways
a) Abolish the monarchy
b) Meghan BAME love in
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:59 - 01 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that mister staremer has not improved his party's position in the polls; the opposite, in fact.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:17 - 02 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link to sauce data?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:51 - 02 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
Link to sauce data?

Oh, sorry: https://www.survation.com/westminster-voting-intention-and-leadership-approval-ratings-amid-covid19-crisis/ (link to data in page).

Not a big poll, but probably not too dissimilar to others. Other interest at: https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2020/04/20/voting-intention-con-53-lab-32-16-17-apr (2/3 through April).

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:34 - 02 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that's quite a difference.

What are Labour to do? I think we need a strong opposition to hold the government to account.

I can only explain it as the Boris factor. I think (despite some counter opinions) that Boris is a popular character, rather like Blair was. He comes across as larger than life, and also human as he does make mistakes.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:51 - 02 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
I think we need a strong opposition to hold the government to account

The problem with labour as an opposition seems that they don't cooperate on anything, being more concerned with making political capital out of various disasters and problems, hoping somehow to "get in" next time, causing mayhem. Not that the Conservatives' performance is always perfect, of course. However, I am very glad indeed that Labour, while they can still make suggestions, cannot gridlock parliament entirely, as they have been doing, and have been seen to be doing. Were they genuine opposition, and not "me me me me I want power me me me me I want it now!", I suspect that they'd do better.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:24 - 02 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Were they genuine opposition, and not "me me me me I want power me me me me I want it now!", I suspect that they'd do better.

Your asking for politicians not to be politicians. The only way you're going to get that is to get rid of party politics and have people that actually represent the electorate rather than political dogma.

I stopped voting along party lines a long time ago. I vote for whoever I consider will do the best for the constituency and represent my views. Thumbs Up

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:37 - 02 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:
Were they genuine opposition, and not "me me me me I want power me me me me I want it now!", I suspect that they'd do better.

Your asking for politicians not to be politicians.

I have never, ever seen anything like the damage done to politics and themselves by the last labour government.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:25 - 02 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Islander wrote:

You're asking for politicians not to be politicians.

I have never, ever seen anything like the damage done to politics and themselves by the last labour government.

The last conservative lot didn't cover themselves in glory. Neither did the con-dem coalition. The Conservative party have had several outstanding self destructive episodes in the past. It's a symptom of modern party politics.

Career politicians that studied the subject at uni and went straight into politics with no experience in industry, commerce, or life generally are, on the whole, shite compared with politicians that entered politics from working life because they care passionately about something.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 23:27 - 02 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last recession was cause by the sub prime lending market which h was driven by the capitalists.

Yes Blair didnt cover himself in glory over the whole sexing up of the Iraq lack of weapons of mass destruction but to blame labour for a world wide recession driven by the Americans is a bit rich.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:06 - 03 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
Lolz

https://twitter.com/i/status/1229509172238090246

Labour leadership challenger Lisa Nandy has said she would vote to abolish the monarchy at a referendum but admitted she would 'quite like to see' Meghan Markle one day become Queen.

Tries to virtue signal in two (contradictory) ways
a) Abolish the monarchy
b) Meghan BAME love in

For a legislator her knowledge of the constitution is pretty sloppy. Attention seeking mystic Meg cannot ever become Queen, only princess consort or some other "nearly but not quite" title.

Riejufixing wrote:
I see that mister staremer has not improved his party's position in the polls; the opposite, in fact.

I doubt even communists want a Blairite fake.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:55 - 03 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the standard line - as an alternative to politicians running "Big Government" - is devolution of power: take it down to a local level.

Having served on the committee of my local football club many moons ago (an example of probably the smallest, local level of governance... maybe one rung above the neighbourhood watch) I can tell you that the "politic rot" affects every strata of organisation Sad

If you want to get stuff done I always go back to my favourite solution: elect a benevolent dictator for 10 years. After 5 years there's a referendum of whether or not the dictator is doing a good job. >60% approval - they do the second half of their term, 40 to 60% - there's a new election, less than 40% and they're executed Shocked

At the end of their 10 year term the electorate get to vote on the exiting dictator's retirement package on the same ballot paper as picking from the new candidates (I'll leave the pension options to your imagination!) Might make potential leaders take things a bit more seriously Smile
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:51 - 03 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

- wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:
The last recession was cause by the sub prime lending market which h was driven by the capitalists.

Yes Blair didnt cover himself in glory over the whole sexing up of the Iraq lack of weapons of mass destruction but to blame labour for a world wide recession driven by the Americans is a bit rich.

Irresponsible lending AND irresponsible borrowing.

It was caused by morons spending more than they earn't and borrowing more than they could pay back, even during the good times. Morons like Blair and Brown.
They built up a public sector rife with waste and red tape quango's, which was unaffordable even in the good times.

... and it inflated house prices tremendously so now there is a housing crisis facing millennials who vote Labour, making it near impossible for them to buy a house without help from their parents, or an iceberg or debt.

Tony Blair ruined their future. He was a Labour hero. Never let Labour forget it.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 12:14 - 03 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll remind you it was the American market collapsing which caused the recession, not the labour government.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
- This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Boring). Unhide this post / all posts.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:31 - 03 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

- wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:
I'll remind you it was the American market collapsing which caused the recession, not the labour government.

No, they caused the need for austerity, by creating a bloated social state, which was unaffordable even in the good times.

So it didnt have anything to do with bailing off bankrupt banks and not receiving money into the coffers because everyone including businesses was skint.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:33 - 03 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

- wrote:
Im-a-Ridah wrote:

... and it inflated house prices tremendously so now there is a housing crisis facing millennials who vote Labour, making it near impossible for them to buy a house without help from their parents, or an iceberg or debt.

Tony Blair ruined their future. He was a Labour hero. Never let Labour forget it.

If that's what causes house price inflation, why didn't they tank like the rest of the economy? They're way above pre recession levels now.

It's simple supply and demand. The "refugees welcome" millenials are shooting themselves in the foot. We need controlled immigration from within and without the EU.

I knew I could bait you into defending the Labour government. Now I can call you a Labour fanboy and quote this anytime you deny it.

So funny, yet so easy Laughing

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:15 - 26 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Keir Starmer is being petitioned for sacking Rebecca Long-Bailey after she tried to implicate the Israeli State (their knee-on-neck control technique) in the death of George Floyd. Criticism of the State of Israel's policies may be valid but having missed several open goals in the last election and making that version of Labour unelectable you'd think she'd be careful to avoid any suggestion of anti-semitism in the party. I'd have sacked her for being f*cking thick.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:26 - 26 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't realise Sir Keir Starmer had a lot of responsibility in closing the case against Jimmy Saville whilst he was still alive.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:39 - 26 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
I didn't realise Sir Keir Starmer had a lot of responsibility in closing the case against Jimmy Saville whilst he was still alive.

He didn't.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:25 - 27 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK , point taken. According to the independent fact checking charity:
"Mr Starmer was head of the CPS when the decision was made not to prosecute Savile but he was not the reviewing lawyer for the case. An official investigation commissioned later by Starmer criticised both prosecutors and police for their handling of the allegations."

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:54 - 28 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
So Keir Starmer is being petitioned for sacking Rebecca Long-Bailey after she tried to implicate the Israeli State (their knee-on-neck control technique) in the death of George Floyd. Criticism of the State of Israel's policies may be valid but having missed several open goals in the last election and making that version of Labour unelectable you'd think she'd be careful to avoid any suggestion of anti-semitism in the party. I'd have sacked her for being f*cking thick.

Agreed.

She might well be totally right, I have no idea, but perhaps just now she is finding out truth doesn't matter if media generated perceived accusations are much more potent.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 303 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 10 of 19