BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bye Bye Win 7

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 22:23 - 20 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't be gamer on Linux. It died fast for me there. My daily work life is Centos so.. 😅
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:25 - 20 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
and I'm not running a Win10 VM just for that - I might as well just keep a regular install.

You quite easily can do the reverse now.

There's an Ubuntu Windows Store app which basically opens a little Linux VM, running Ubuntu. It's an easy one-click download, no need for making your own installing disk or whatever. It's easy to connect it to your Windows file system too.

That being said, I still don't see the appeal. I set it up a few months ago and have never even thought to use it. There just hasn't ever been a time where Linux offered something better than the standard Windows setup.

Again, I don't see the point in running a VM when I can do everything natively in Windows. And the front end of stock Ubuntu sucks unless you stick KDE Plasma on it Wink

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:28 - 22 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the earlier days there were a few big drivers to motivate switching to Linux that don't really exist today.

1. Cost. Linux was free. Legit windows cost circa £150 but then you had to bump on £40 of Norton Anti-Virus or similar.
Yes there were free WinXP methods (but usually dodgy). Also Free AV, but again, a lot of people just paid for McAfee etc

Now Windows is really easy to get for less than £20 (or free) legitimately. And it comes with Anti Virus protection.

2. Performance. Linux was extremely fast compared to Windows.
PC's used to start chugging after 12 months if you were lucky under XP. Partly down to the massive AV clients people installed that ballooned with crap. Booting up could take 2-3 minutes.
Windows 7 seemed a lot better at lasting longer before getting bogged down.
But crucially, CPU performance eclipsed software requirements, RAM prices crashed and SSD's arrived. Booting was reduced to 15 seconds. You didn't have to wait for apps to load.
Linux is still faster, but what does 5 second boot time matter compared to 15 seconds.
My PC is 8 years old and runs Windows 10 very happily.
I would not have wanted to try and run Windows XP (when released) on a 486 DX2-66 with 16mb RAM (a roughly 1993 PC)

3. Security. Kind of tied into point 1. But it was a significant issue that was largely resolved by MS buying and absorbing an AV company.

Other impacts. Smartphones and tablets now exist and the desktop (at home at least) is less important all round. Why spend time learning something new which isn't on a platform that will be used a lot.

Open Source in general has done well though.
Blender, Fusion, Gimp, Lightworks, Inkscape, Scribus, Apache, PHP, MySQL (I use PostgreSQL), VLC, Chrome etc

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:27 - 22 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was on winXP full time until 2018 when I built a new PC (that one was 10 years old- and I'm an occasional gamer!).

I never updated security on it. The only thing I updated was for the service packs, otherwise updates were (and still are) always off.

The same with my windows 7 machine now. SP1 but updates off.

Windows security scaring is the same as lynch mobbing and brexit scaring when out of hand.

I often use win 3.1, 95, and 98 connected to the net with no security.

I won't use windows 10 until I am absolutely forced out by the support or lack of it over 'time'. Likely another 8 or so years.

The lack of support for XP just happened to coincide with the requirement for a new PC to play new games.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:07 - 05 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blurredman wrote:
...I never updated security on it. The only thing I updated was for the service packs, otherwise updates were (and still are) always off.

Yup, Me too.

Blurredman wrote:
...The same with my windows 7 machine now. SP1 but updates off.

Exactly, I wouldn't put it passed MS to apply some time limited bit of dodgy code in some of the final updates. Especially after the trouble they had getting people to upgrade from XP.

Blurredman wrote:
...Windows security scaring is the same as lynch mobbing and brexit scaring when out of hand.

Install this update or the world will end, type crap, they're as bad as the MSM.

Blurredman wrote:
...I often use win 3.1, 95, and 98 connected to the net with no security.

That's cool, any trojans /Viruses would/should be well gone by now, or the risk is so low to be negligible.

Blurredman wrote:
...I won't use windows 10 until I am absolutely forced out by the support or lack of it over 'time'. Likely another 8 or so years.

Me too. Still on 7, I just use a decent AV, it'll be them dropping support that'll make me change. Not going to go to 10 though, prolly Ubuntu.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 21:41 - 05 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never used to update.

I then worked where I work.

I won't 'not update' now.

It has cost schools hundreds of thousands in time, money and support getting back on their feet after a machine or two was unpatched and script kiddy fucked them into oblivion.

This recently affected me, its obscure, its Linux, its huge.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2020/05/01/netsweeper_filtering_flaw/

It would have absolutely destroyed us and our 1 million+ users.

Windows is highly subsceptible, even just network wise, a DDoS when gaming is still common as muck, I'd rather patch.

There were older patches where if you had windows file sharing over netbios enabled, you could cause a machine to crash and run administrative commands, gain control and crytolocker it with ease. MS patched it in 2016 and STILL I find servers open with it, one was cryptolockered that day.

Leave it open if you want, your call. I used to be so blasé about it too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:28 - 05 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updates aren't all that bad. Specially Windows 10.

As far as I've heard, Windows 10 is Microsoft's final version of Windows. They're just going to keep sending automatic updates forever now.

So far, each update has been an improvement. Probably lots of security aspects in there too.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:27 - 06 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
Updates aren't all that bad. Specially Windows 10.

As far as I've heard, Windows 10 is Microsoft's final version of Windows. They're just going to keep sending automatic updates forever now.

So far, each update has been an improvement. Probably lots of security aspects in there too.

Aren't they going to go to 12 so they can be like Encom OS 12?

https://youtu.be/djEdLKyIB5s?t=93

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:53 - 06 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was dragged kicking and screaming from Windows 98 to XP, I liked both, I was still tinkering with DOS a tiny bit.

hated vista

liked 7, hated 10, managed to get 7 back on my laptop myself

finally gave in and put 10 on recently

no more Civ4 Beyond the Sword, and I hate steam, so probably no more Civ.

This old laptop couldn't run Civ 6, and Civ 5 I have played in the past, but not mad keen on.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 354 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2