Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

So today furlough did happen...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14
View previous topic : View next topic  

kolu
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 10:16 - 07 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

- wrote:
All that matters is the ratio of citizens catching and dying.

I think this metrics is not correct as the disease still spreads around and active cases (people who caught it) are either going to die or survive and of those who already caught it some will die.

Also, nobody knows how the other countries, which now fare so well, will do with 2nd and 3rd wave of infection - we actually might have build some sort of almost-herd immunity here that the other countries (barring the infection to spread through population so well) might not have at all and they will get culled as well, but just later.

I think it is way to early to judge at all. Give it a few years.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:50 - 07 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ones that leap out to me from that table are China, Russia, and Saudi Arabia. They have a very low number of deaths compared to the reported cases.

Wonder what those countries have in common Thinking
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:52 - 07 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

- wrote:
You can't base this on proportion of tested cases who end up dead and call it fair. It's just another way to attack the government unfairly.

You've wrongly assumed I'm criticising the governments, in fact I'm saying they're inconsequential. We're left with a virus which will infect everyone while there's no vaccine, so given the same number of cases why is one population seemingly surviving infection better than another? I'm saying they're not, it's an artefact of the different testing regimen.

Lord Percy wrote:
Could also be that Germans love rules, and sticking to them, so lockdown may be doing what it says on the tin.

No, because like the other countries I mentioned they've got around 200,000 cases, it's not the infection rate, it's the percentage of those infected who die which is the significant number. Lockdown does nothing in that respect.

Iceland's random testing showed that half of those testing positive had no symptoms. Widespread testing detects more cases but more of those will be healthy. Test only the seriously ill, like in the UK, and it will look like the opposite.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:13 - 07 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting wind of rumours of a phased start up in a couple of weeks.
I was just getting used to an early retirement.
Bollox.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:04 - 07 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
I'm getting wind of rumours of a phased start up in a couple of weeks.
I was just getting used to an early retirement.
Bollox.

Same at my place of work (although I've been on-site 80% of the time), but there's no way they'll be able to maintain separation. If I'd been working from home during this period I'd stay there.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:43 - 07 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

My work is saying work at home even if things open up.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:56 - 07 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a few more weeks people will have normalised the situation and life will carry on. People will die. The s̶h̶e̶e̶p̶ public will continue to bang saucepans to show their love for anyone they fancy and the BBC will go back to whining about what gender has been invented this week.

I shall start my bucket list just incase I snuff it with a cruise up to the Gas street basin while trying to emulate the famous voyage of the USS. Constitution.

https://i.rmbl.ws/s8/1/f/x/k/P/fxkPa.OvCc.1-small-Three-Sheets-to-the-Wind-Th.jpg

It might take me a while to get there. Cool

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:05 - 08 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the situation has already become normalised, distancing has become natural, shopping queues are now expected, not seeing extended family, although difficult, is now accepted or should I say expected.
I also think going forward, it may depend upon the values of certain sections of society as to whether the death rate rises or falls.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:51 - 08 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:

I also think going forward, it may depend upon the values of certain sections of society as to whether the death rate rises or falls.

Do you mean that the government will regard the deaths of vulnerable people as a necessary product of getting the economy going or how people themselves conduct their lives will affect the death rates?

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:56 - 08 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
recman wrote:

Do you mean that the government will regard the deaths of vulnerable people as a necessary product of getting the economy going or how people themselves conduct their lives will affect the death rates?

This government, as with most governments who appeared to have been ill prepared for the situation, will simply accept more deaths as a necessary part of restarting the UK.
There will be token safety measures in the work place but I can see in places where it becomes too complex to implement these measures to obtain an effective output, corners will be cut. That is when you'll see how ineffective and corrupt trade unions really are.
I also think selfish individuals will undoubtedly prolong the situation far longer than needs be, even if nothing changes regarding the current government guidelines.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 352 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14
Page 14 of 14