Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Mileage and Resale value

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 09:36 - 03 May 2020    Post subject: Mileage and Resale value Reply with quote

Hi everyone - due to some complicated circumstances due to Coronovirus I'm stuck in Spain and am buying a second 125 out here. I only expect to keep it for about 6 months. I also need to buy from a dealership because the beaurocracy of private sales here is insane so I can't go super cheap.

So, looking around the possibilities (limited) I see two Hyosung GT125s which look like they would be great for me. One for €1,200 with 50k miles, and one for €1,350 with 14k miles.

Both look very good cosmetically so the only difference is the mileage. To me, as a car driver, 50k is not a lot, but I know bikes are different. Would I struggle to sell the higher mileage bike in 6 months time? Which bike would I likely take the bigger financial hit on?

Thank you all

Last edited by CorriganJ on 10:36 - 03 May 2020; edited 2 times in total

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:47 - 03 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

How old is each?

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:35 - 03 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
How old is each?

2004 for the one with less miles, and 2008 for the one with more. I can just link the adds:

https://www.milanuncios.com/motos-de-carretera/hyosung-gt-125-comet-332148130.htm

https://www.milanuncios.com/motos-de-carretera/hyosung-gt-125-comet-344567281.htm

Like I say, I'm limited to dealers for administrative reasons, and cannot leave Madrid autonomous district because of lockdown, so my choices are very limited. Looking for a 125 that can survive highways with luggage. Saw some YBRs and CGs which I'm not against, but something like the Varadero or these GTs are meant to be able to cruise comfortably at 70, rather than struggle at 60.

I was really hoping to be back in the UK doing my Mod 1 and 2 at the moment, but thats clearly not going to happen, so I have to make do with what I have got.

kolu
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 11:05 - 03 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2004 will be with carbs, 2008 should be with fuel injection.
If you plan to keep it just 6 months, I would get the '08 even with more miles on, if that's the cheaper one. how many miles you want to put on it?

For a clarity, is it really 50k miles, not km?

Just check them properly - chain & sprockets (especially the front sprocket), all the switches (sidestand switch likes to fail), clutch drag (some people claim Hyosungs needs new clutch plates every 6k miles), cables condition near levers, ... I think pepperami has GT as well so he might chime in with his long-term reliability findings. My observation is just that the thing tends to rust a lot. Much more than expected... Like bolts on silencers and the whole exhaust downpiping as well, exhaust header bolts & nuts, ...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kolu
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 11:10 - 03 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

In any case I can't imagine cruising comfortably at 70 on 125cc. Also without any fairings, don't really think so.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:15 - 03 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm.

2004 has done 14,000 km (8,700 miles) €1,350 (£1,200)
2008 has done 50,000k km (31,000 miles) €1,200 (£1,065)

So there's only £135 in it, but the dearer one's 4 years older and the cheaper one's done 22,000 more miles.

Are you sure that they're both the same specification and that there's nothing else notable or different about them?

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:17 - 03 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

kolu wrote:
In any case I can't imagine cruising comfortably at 70 on 125cc. Also without any fairings, don't really think so.

I'd guess 60+ would be a realistic cruising speed, but I don't know. That's bearing in mind the supposed 75 top speed. Depends on what the load is to some degree Smile

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:36 - 03 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

kolu wrote:
The 2004 will be with carbs, 2008 should be with fuel injection.
If you plan to keep it just 6 months, I would get the '08 even with more miles on, if that's the cheaper one. how many miles you want to put on it?

For a clarity, is it really 50k miles, not km?

Just check them properly - chain & sprockets (especially the front sprocket), all the switches (sidestand switch likes to fail), clutch drag (some people claim Hyosungs needs new clutch plates every 6k miles), cables condition near levers, ... I think pepperami has GT as well so he might chime in with his long-term reliability findings. My observation is just that the thing tends to rust a lot. Much more than expected... Like bolts on silencers and the whole exhaust downpiping as well, exhaust header bolts & nuts, ...

appologies KM!

Would you recomend carbs or fuel injection? FI better performance, carbs easier (though more) maintainance...

Last edited by CorriganJ on 11:51 - 03 May 2020; edited 2 times in total

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:39 - 03 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Hm.

2004 has done 14,000 km (8,700 miles) €1,350 (£1,200)
2008 has done 50,000k km (31,000 miles) €1,200 (£1,065)

So there's only £135 in it, but the dearer one's 4 years older and the cheaper one's done 22,000 more miles.

Are you sure that they're both the same specification and that there's nothing else notable or different about them?

I'm just going off the internet adds - physical showrooms aren't open currently. Which would you say would sell for more second hand? Or more or less the same?

Regards speed - I don't particularly care about top speed exactly - I just want it to as good on the highway as it realistically can be on a 125, which might not be much... but I think I would see a difference between this and my XR125L which realistically tops out at 55.

Alternatively there is this varadero:

https://www.milanuncios.com/motos-de-cross/honda-xl-125v-varadero-332906122.htm

Or for comparison, this CG:

https://www.milanuncios.com/motos-de-carretera/honda-cg-125-343998102.htm

And this YBR:

https://www.milanuncios.com/motos-de-carretera/yamaha-ybr-125-336996029.htm

If I was not doing highways I would probably get the CG or YBR. As it is, GT or Varadero seem more sensible for me.

EDIT: I guess this thread has grown a bit but I guess my main question is, would you be wary of buying a bike with 30k miles on it? Or, realistically, 35k miles /58k km when I am done with it?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:56 - 03 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Less miles is good as this dictates the overall wear on the thing. Age raises the question of how it's been stored. Spain so nice and dry mostly.

Basically for both age and mileage: "how well has it been maintained?" But I think you're forgetting the most important thing...

Which colour do you like? Very Happy

<addendum> Just looked at the other bikes. Varadero has a bit more fairings which would probably be a nicer experience at high speeds. Can't say I care for the colour. The YBR though - top box thrown in and much cheapness - I'd go for that.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:11 - 03 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can’t give to much of an opinion on the 125.
However I can tell you that as the owner of a GT250R, I am very happy with it.
Many things and parts are the same on both machines.

I look after mine and keep all the maintenance up to date and so far it has not given me any major issues.
If I was restricted to a 125, Hyosung would be high on my list.

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:20 - 03 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
I can’t give to much of an opinion on the 125.
However I can tell you that as the owner of a GT250R, I am very happy with it.
Many things and parts are the same on both machines.

I look after mine and keep all the maintenance up to date and so far it has not given me any major issues.
If I was restricted to a 125, Hyosung would be high on my list.

That is great to hear, thank you

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:22 - 03 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
But I think you're forgetting the most important thing...

Which colour do you like? Very Happy

Any that aren't the baby-turd yellow of the Varadero!

Easy-X wrote:

<addendum> Just looked at the other bikes. Varadero has a bit more fairings which would probably be a nicer experience at high speeds. Can't say I care for the colour. The YBR though - top box thrown in and much cheapness - I'd go for that.

Yup it caught my eye too, but second hand top boxes are cheap

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:08 - 03 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did mention Honda’s little Varadero 125?

I’ll just leave this here Thumbs Up
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yvszjZDtF3c

They are bloody expensive,even second hand Shocked .

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:33 - 03 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

CorriganJ wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:

I'm just going off the internet adds - physical showrooms aren't open currently. Which would you say would sell for more second hand? Or more or less the same?
Alternatively there is this varadero:

https://www.milanuncios.com/motos-de-cross/honda-xl-125v-varadero-332906122.htm

That's very difficult to say. The higher mileage one isn't much dearer than the lower mileage older one, so is there something the matter with the lower mileage one that isn't known? The lower mileage one has only done 500-600 miles a year, roughly, on average. What's the resale value of similar bikes elsewhere, e.g. ebay, autotrader? Can you haggle on either?

The Honda looks nice to me, BUT it's only done 2,162 kms in 9 years, does it work properly? That price seems to be less than in the UK, by a fair amount.

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:21 - 03 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:

That's very difficult to say. The higher mileage one isn't much dearer than the lower mileage older one, so is there something the matter with the lower mileage one that isn't known? The lower mileage one has only done 500-600 miles a year, roughly, on average. What's the resale value of similar bikes elsewhere, e.g. ebay, autotrader? Can you haggle on either?

The Honda looks nice to me, BUT it's only done 2,162 kms in 9 years, does it work properly? That price seems to be less than in the UK, by a fair amount.

Selling privately, people are asking just less than €1000 for a good condition one... so I would be taking a €300-500 hit I suppose. Alternatively that Varadero is a good price as you say. Might even make a profit on bringing it back to the UK. The low price? I guess its the colour... Thing is I don't love the varadero, and I do like the Hyosung... But, I suppose I don't need to love it, I just need it to get me places

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:58 - 03 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

CorriganJ wrote:

Selling privately, people are asking just less than €1000 for a good condition one... so I would be taking a €300-500 hit I suppose. Alternatively that Varadero is a good price as you say. Might even make a profit on bringing it back to the UK. The low price? I guess its the colour... Thing is I don't love the varadero, and I do like the Hyosung... But, I suppose I don't need to love it, I just need it to get me places

I had a Suzuki GT250 that had done 32,000 miles. That was a nice bike. Everything worn in but not worn out. It doesn't really help you, I suppose. Where are the Hysongu GT125 Comet people? Is there a forum?

I would guess you might make a Varadero profit if it's actually OK, the climate will help preserve everything I suppose apart from what sun can damage. It won't have had any blasted salt on it...

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:37 - 03 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm of the opinion that 31000 mikes on a 125 is starting to push the sweet running envelope. OK, how it's been looked after will make a difference but out of the two, I'd go for the lower mileage one.

After saying that, the Varadero is the only 125 I've ever actually enjoyed riding. It's physically big for a 125 and I do prefer something of substance between my legs. (fnarr fnarr). It's also a twin which I much prefer over a single but that of course is personal taste.

droog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 07:03 - 04 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming both bikes run and sound ok and are both equipped with decent tires, chain, sprockets, brakes with some life left in them then personally I would go for the lower mileage bike because it has simply had less wear and tear* and will be easier to sell 6 months down the line because buyers don't tend to like high mileage on bikes.

On the other hand if the lower mileage bike has tires and brake pads on the limit, a slack chain at the end of it's service life, whereas the higher mileage bike has a nearly new set of tires, brakes and chain then (assuming it runs ok) I would be tempted to go for the high miler because once you have factored in the replacement consumables for the low miler you will be spending extra money on top of the higher purchase price and you are planning on getting shot of it soon anyway.

But to recap assuming both bikes are in presentable, serviceable condition then I would go for the low miler.

*obviously mileage isn't everything - a low mileage machine that has been neglected and abused will be more likely to develop faults than a high miler that has been meticulously serviced and had gentle use.

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:12 - 08 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the red GT125 for €250 less than the asking price so I was happy with that.

Riding on spanish roads for the first time was a terrifying experience but I survived. Thanks for the help everyone!

Groovin
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:30 - 08 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great, you finaly chose one.
Send us some pics. Spain is usually real nice this time of year. Quite a place to have to spend lockdown.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 22:40 - 08 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add. I CBA to read the whole thing but 2008 will be carbed.

I owned one.

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 07:15 - 09 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Groovin wrote:
That's great, you finaly chose one.
Send us some pics. Spain is usually real nice this time of year. Quite a place to have to spend lockdown.

Sadly I can't take it anywhere yet - there are roadblocks in and out of Madrid (which I could get through yesterday because I had a "valid reason" but not today. But here it is parked up in the street looking fine. Terrified its gunna get nicked, leaving it on the street, but I don't think theft is as common in spain.

https://scontent-mad1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.15752-9/95810715_681169949390285_2902586705917771776_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_sid=b96e70&_nc_ohc=vgB6FlHho6gAX92ntbB&_nc_ht=scontent-mad1-1.xx&oh=1427eee2b20b0a5c4db7e3e771a516a3&oe=5EDA1358

Also, the highway into madrid is pretty spectacular. I went over a hill and suddenly the whole city was just laid out in front of me. Its wierd seeing somewhere you call home from a totally different perspective.

The second lockdown is lifted I'm off to the mountains.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 325 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1