Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Has coronavirus affected your touring plans this year?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Has virus ruined your biker plans this year?
yes
53%
 53%  [ 21 ]
no
46%
 46%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 39

SpeedyCBR1100
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:38 - 08 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

We managed to rent a 4 bed house just south of Le Mans from June 20th to 27th. Only cost £100 for the week for 6 of us. Very sad to lose that. We were going to travel on the Newhaven-Dieppe route and I checked the other day to find they were still running a full service. Hopes dashed again when I realised they were only carrying freight.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:52 - 10 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somehow I see this nonsense still being about way into July.

So I am now thinking September for a mini tour and a few b&b’s.

A mate of mine is rebuilding a Yamaha YB250 and said he might/possibly be interested in tagging along.

Neither of us will be doing any motoball this summer, so a mini tour may be a good tonic.
However this is speculation at the moment.

This nonsense is not over yet?

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:15 - 10 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the predictions are now going for a precipitous decline in cases by early May so even late June *might* not be written off.
Whether all kinds of accommodation are re-opening before autumn or even this year is another matter.
Campsites must be relatively low risk compared to any kind of room which may or may not have been cleaned thoroughly.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:29 - 10 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
Some of the predictions are now going for a precipitous decline in cases by early May so even late June *might* not be written off.
Whether all kinds of accommodation are re-opening before autumn or even this year is another matter.
Campsites must be relatively low risk compared to any kind of room which may or may not have been cleaned thoroughly.

I hear what you are saying about rooms being clean, however I can assure you many cleansing wipes will be traveling with me Shocked .
After the shite we’ve all been through, I’m gonna be very careful.

The way things are going at the moment, I still think it’s to early to be genuinely trying to book up any trips or excursions.

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:16 - 15 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well before CV took a hold around the world,Mrs Fizzer and I had planned to spend more time in Austria instead of getting to Innsbruck and then to head straight for the Brenner Pass and in to Italy.By the time of the London Excel bike show I was beginning to think about dates and the best route through Belgium and Germany.Plans were for Mrs Fizzer to renew her passport in plenty of time but even that has been put on hold for the foreseeable future.

There is always next year....

Edit.Friends that we stayed with in Brugges on the return journey from Italy last year have invited us to go and stay for a minimum of a week later this year.

Always have a 'Plan B'

Groovin
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:13 - 12 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to attempt Amsterdam, and possibly also Venice (different journey, we wanted to go for the masked ball), but for now that is all definitely on hold. Maybe we can manage Venice next year.

Amsterdam should be an easy jaunt any time of year once things loosen up a bit.

willis1337
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 08:40 - 28 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ferry booked late August to Bilbao for a couple of weeks in the Pyrenees and a ride back through France. Hopefully will be okay to travel by then.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:25 - 28 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've given up this year. I've had to work all while this crap has been going on. I'm off for 10 days, but everywhere is still dodgy. By the time all the furlough staff have had their holidays there wont be any time left this year. to even take the rest of my holidays unless it is mid November.
So I will be saving the pennies for next year.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TheDonUK
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:59 - 29 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in Peru in March when they quarentined for coronavirus, had bought a bike in Colombia the previous march and made it down to Chile and Argentina and was heading back up to maybe Colombia or Mexico/USA.

My dad died back at home a few days into the quarantine so that made the decision for me to come back, after a shitty 2 weeks dealing with the embassy I got on of those repatriation flights back and had to leave my bike in Peru with a friend without doing any of the paperwork (as the customs were also closed).

Now due to other reasons i wont be able to get back out for a year or two, so will have to find some way to sell the bike to another traveler in the mean time (cant sell to a local because its technically on a temporary import permit).

The first 3 months of 2020 were going so well, but i guess thats the ups and downs of life for you.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:23 - 29 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
By the time all the furlough staff have had their holidays there wont be any time left this year. to even take the rest of my holidays unless it is mid November.

I feel your pain. That said, I am grateful I didn't get furloughed! I think I'd have literally gone crazy, at least during the first phase of lockdown.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:19 - 29 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am getting no time off for the forseeable, assuming the company itself is ok. If I hadn't already booked my usual week in Sep back on April 1st, I wouldn't have got it. That's it until Jan-Mar 2021. It's not that we're busier than usual, just the opposite, but we now have far less people than usual, so I'm doing 3 peoples jobs at the moment. What makes me almost redundancy proof, also means no-one else can do my job - I keep trying to train people up, but they can't grasp it, or are lazy bastids

willis1337
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:21 - 29 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheDonUK wrote:
I was in Peru in March when they quarentined for coronavirus, had bought a bike in Colombia the previous march and made it down to Chile and Argentina and was heading back up to maybe Colombia or Mexico/USA.

My dad died back at home a few days into the quarantine so that made the decision for me to come back, after a shitty 2 weeks dealing with the embassy I got on of those repatriation flights back and had to leave my bike in Peru with a friend without doing any of the paperwork (as the customs were also closed).

Now due to other reasons i wont be able to get back out for a year or two, so will have to find some way to sell the bike to another traveler in the mean time (cant sell to a local because its technically on a temporary import permit).

The first 3 months of 2020 were going so well, but i guess thats the ups and downs of life for you.

Shocked Blimey, that's rough, hopefully 2021 will be a better year.

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 18:43 - 29 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few months into the pandemic now and I have to say it's not been all bad. Unusually good weather and empty highland roads. I've had some of my best days on a bike in over 40 years. Another bonus has been that surface dressing hasn't fucked up the roads this year. I've done 100 miles without overtaking a single vehicle. I even managed to get a clear run on the only original section of the Loch Lomond road between Tarbet and Crianlarich. No campers, no caravans, no trucks, no cars. The once sublime Fort William to North Ballachulish section of the A82 was also all mine. The roads that I cut my teeth on, giving a brief glimpse of how good they used to be. They do say every cloud has a silver lining Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:23 - 30 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, is anyone doing euro tours at the moment? currently weighing up the odds.

motobiker
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 13:41 - 03 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm heading down to the Austrian Alps at the end of this month, across france, into the southern end of the Black Forest then avoiding lake Constance wending my way into bavaria and picking up the German Alpine road, turning south to Zell am See and then a few days there to ride the Glockner before dropping south into the Dolomites.

Its been a summer of swings and roundabouts and for a time it seemed that Austria would be impossible. but then suddenly it wasn't.

I have 25 days to wait out and anything can happen, if for some reason things change then I have a plan B which means the south of France. If even France becomes impossible.. then c'est la vie. Theres always next year. But right now im optimistic.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:51 - 03 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

motobiker wrote:
I'm heading down to the Austrian Alps at the end of this month, across france, into the southern end of the Black Forest then avoiding lake Constance wending my way into bavaria and picking up the German Alpine road, turning south to Zell am See and then a few days there to ride the Glockner before dropping south into the Dolomites.

Its been a summer of swings and roundabouts and for a time it seemed that Austria would be impossible. but then suddenly it wasn't.

I have 25 days to wait out and anything can happen, if for some reason things change then I have a plan B which means the south of France. If even France becomes impossible.. then c'est la vie. Theres always next year. But right now im optimistic.

Good luck, hope you can do this. The Austrian Alps and the Dolomites are two places I too want to explore more of, hopefully one day will be able to. And good luck to everyone else still determined to go ahead with touring plans this year. I've recently read of a couple of people who have managed decent visits to France (although in both cases they had more-or-less permanent arrangements there), so there is still some hope the year doesn't have to be completely written off.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:35 - 03 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a gander at the noise limits in parts of tyrol they just introduced also so you dont get a nasty fine

https://motorcycles.news/en/driving-ban-for-too-loud-motorcycles-in-tyrol/#:~:text=From%20June%2010%2C%20motorcycles%20with,continue%20to%20use%20those%20routes.

Yep good luck mate! I was close to pulling the trigger on a similar trip, but I ended up backing out and im just going to blat about the UK more for a bit and hopefully a week in Scotland before the month is over.

willis1337
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:43 - 14 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

willis1337 wrote:
Ferry booked late August to Bilbao for a couple of weeks in the Pyrenees and a ride back through France. Hopefully will be okay to travel by then.

Well that was scuppered when Spain was off the list. Mid week ferry cancelled so got a full refund. On to Plan B tunnel to France then over to Germany and beyond, if France is added to list plan C is still chunnel but ferry back from Hook of Holland to Harwich to avoid quarantine.

The UK take France AND The Netherlands off the list. FFS Evil or Very Mad Plan D is now something, anything in the UK. I have two weeks to fill, maybe a ride round the coastline of Britain - no it doesn't inspire me either. Neutral
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 227 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2