Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Congestion charge for London to be reviewed

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

Vracktal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:26 - 15 May 2020    Post subject: Congestion charge for London to be reviewed Reply with quote

So recently the mayor has revealed that due to less people using public transport in London, Transport for London has got a catastrophic black hole in their finances.

After a begging meeting with the government yesterday they were granted some emergency cash and loans, but hidden in the statement released by the mayor is a throwaway line:

Quote:
We agreed it was the right thing to review the Congestion Charge.

As someone who rides a motorbike into the Congestion Charge zone, this wouldn't normally give me any concern (motorbikes are currently exempted from the charge).

However, within the Mayor's current term he's already brought in the ULEZ which included some motorbikes within it's remit, despote being shown evidence at the time from his own TfL data that old motorbikes were contributing almost nothing to pollution.

Am I unecessarily worrying that this threatened review of the congestion charge will lump motorbikes in to scrape in some extra cash, or are they more likely just to include cars..?

Mayor's full statement is here > https://www.london.gov.uk/press-releases/mayoral/statement-from-the-mayor-of-london-regarding-tfl

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:35 - 15 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't aware of it, but that worries me too now I know!

Thanks for the heads up.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:49 - 15 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a given the charges will rocket considering a lot of people won't want to use the tube or buses and TBH I can't blame them.

He's going to want to up his finances so what better way than to use the 'green' banner 'Pour Encourager Les Autres' not to go back to using ICE vehicles including motorbikes and scooters AND getting revenue from those who do.

I don't think it's fair and I suspect most won't who only have the choice of personal vehicles or trains/tube when the are way to far out of town to use a push bike.

Stand by for most/all other metropolises to follow suit.

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:29 - 15 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang on, so the congestion charge may be increased at a time when the public transport services have been reduced?

That seems incredibly unfair, especially as Boris was advising people to take their car to work.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:39 - 15 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris wrote:
Hang on, so the congestion charge may be increased at a time when the public transport services have been reduced?

That seems incredibly unfair, especially as Boris was advising people to take their car to work.

When have money grabbing councils worried about 'fair', especially when they can cloak it in green.

Vracktal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:21 - 15 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot sooner than expected, the new plans have been announced:

Quote:
As a temporary measure and to support the transformation of London’s streets, it is proposed that the Congestion Charge will increase to £15 next month and the hours of operation extended as part of a package of temporary changes. These changes will be monitored and form part of a wider review of the Congestion Charge as agreed with the Government as part of the TfL funding deal. Proposals include increasing the Congestion Charge to £15 and extending its hours of operation to 7am to 10pm, seven days a week, from 22 June. This would encourage Londoners not to make unnecessary car journeys, and is expected to reduce journeys within the Congestion Charge zone by a third. This would significantly reduce air pollution in central London compared to pre-Covid levels and help tackle the climate emergency.

tl:dr £15/day, no weekend exemption and now on 7am to 10pm
Also significant pedestrianisation on some bridges (inc. London Bridge which is currently bike/taxi/bus and motorcycle only)

No mention of motorcycles at all which is good, sounds like this has been written up in a rush so luckily they forgot about motorbikes (as per usual with London planning.) And... breathe.

What's interesting is they're talking about pedestrianising huge swathes of the city, while also asking people not to take public transport and hiking the charges to drive into the city. Considering the majority of public-facing jobs that can't be done from home (shop staff, construction, cleaners etc) are done by people living in the cheaper outskirts, not sure how they're expecting the majority to travel? Can't see many people willing to cycle the 15 miles from the outskirts into the centre on the daily.

Full statement here > https://www.london.gov.uk/press-releases/mayoral/car-free-zones-in-london-as-cc-and-ulez-reinstated

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:04 - 15 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the thing, I can't afford to live any closer to work, if anything I'll be moving further away in the next 18 months and I'm already over 22 miles each way. Cycling/walking is not an option.

It's actually super easy for me to get the tube, but unless they can make it a more pleasant experience (less crowded, more reliable, cheaper), I have no intention of doing so. I find it a really stressful and uncomfortable experience.

For me personally, if/when they make public transport the only viable option, that will be the thing that eventually pushes me away from London altogether.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:28 - 15 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right hand: "go back to work, avoid public transport"

Left hand: "avoid using your car"

I suspect someone did chime in and suggest banning cars, bikes and so on altogether but then the money would be sorely missed and there'd be be no Deliveroo or Uber Eats. Everyone left the meeting feeling strangely peckish and motorbikes were left out of the proposals Very Happy

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:45 - 15 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The congestion charge was brought in to reduce congestion. The cue is in the name.

Now, due to the virus, there's not enough congestion. So they're putting the charge up.

Cuck-oo Shocked

Khaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnn!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:08 - 16 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

More taxes and more austerity are on the way largely thanks to covid.

So will bikes start getting charged, its quite possible.

Vracktal wrote:

No mention of motorcycles at all which is good, sounds like this has been written up in a rush so luckily they forgot about motorbikes (as per usual with London planning.) And... breathe.

Fingers crossed.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 339 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1