Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Brake Bleed Nipples "weeping"

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

topperuk
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:38 - 18 May 2020    Post subject: Brake Bleed Nipples "weeping" Reply with quote

Hi all,

Sorry for what might be a stupid question..

I've overhauled both front calipers today on my bike (tokico 2 pots)..

Have bled and all happy - but have just used a new (to me) trick of cable tieing the brake lever back to the bar to get the last of any air out of the system.

It's been sitting for around 4 hours now and i'm noticing slight weeping of brake fluid from the (new TRK) bleed nipples of both front calipers..

Is this normal?

They're under extreme pressure - like lever pulled solid back against the bars..

I've never ever noticed this before - but i've never left a brake system under full pressure for such a sustained period of time..

The fluid is weeping from the threads around the edge - not from the centre holes..

It really is minor - after 4 hours you'd be lucky to get anywhere near a drop, but it is there..

Cheers!!

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:31 - 18 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi topperuk.
Those calipers were not designed for a full on lever-to-the-bars brake application for an extended interval like that. If very slight seepage past the bleed nipple threads is less than a drop in 4 hours, I wouldn't worry about it. I do not know who invented the cable tie trick, but I doubt is was anyone from Tokico, Nissin, Brembo, or any of the brake component manufacturers. The brake system is not designed to purge air that way.

If the weepage bothers you, apply some thread sealant (not Teflon tape) to the bleed nipples, and bleed again.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:39 - 18 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

My GSXR1100 has had 48 hours of the cable tie treatment over the last week and didn’t pass a single molecule of fluid out of any single joint. It’s not ok for the bleed nipples to pass any fluid whatsoever. Bin the after market nipples and fit genuine.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:41 - 18 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bleed hole (caliper side) on a brake caliper is fairly easy to damage by overtightening the bleed nipple. Hope that isn't what's happened.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:44 - 18 May 2020    Post subject: Re: Brake Bleed Nipples "weeping" Reply with quote

topperuk wrote:
It's been sitting for around 4 hours now and i'm noticing slight weeping of brake fluid from the (new TRK) bleed nipples of both front calipers..

Is this normal?

No. There should be no seepage at all, none, not a drop in 10 years.

If you apply too much torque to your nipples, it is possible that you will experience weeping.

The seat could become deformed. Basically the bleed nipple is a needle valve.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:35 - 18 May 2020    Post subject: Re: Brake Bleed Nipples "weeping" Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:

If you apply too much torque to your nipples, it is possible that you will experience weeping.

I never miss one of these..

..not ever.

Wink

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:37 - 18 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW I don't the think the requirement is to pull the lever back using full pressure. you only need to open the passages to allow ar bubbles to float up. A modest but sustained pull-back usually satisfies.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 09:35 - 19 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any seepage is bad. Did you get the right nipples? The have slightly different champhering.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 09:39 - 19 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffyjeff wrote:
Hi topperuk.
Those calipers were not designed for a full on lever-to-the-bars brake application for an extended interval like that. If very slight seepage past the bleed nipple threads is less than a drop in 4 hours, I wouldn't worry about it. I do not know who invented the cable tie trick, but I doubt is was anyone from Tokico, Nissin, Brembo, or any of the brake component manufacturers. The brake system is not designed to purge air that way.

If the weepage bothers you, apply some thread sealant (not Teflon tape) to the bleed nipples, and bleed again.

The threads don't create the fluid seal, the bottom of the nipple grounding out in the caliper does. If the fluid gets to the threads you have a problem.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:04 - 19 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

After hearing the voices of reason (thank you Forced and sickpup), I stand corrected. Embarassed
But I still question why anyone would cable tie the brake lever in order to "get any last air" out of the system. Once the master cylinder piston seal covers the compensating port, all path of air escape is effectively blocked. How is pressurizing the brake line going to help air float up to the top---magic? If you can pull your brake lever all the way to the handlebar, something is wrong. Either there is still air in the system, you have a leaking seal, or you have bent the brake lever.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have bled hundreds of brakes successfully, (including the VFR linked brakes and the BMW servo assist) without resorting to a cable tie on the brake lever.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 10:39 - 19 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffyjeff wrote:
After hearing the voices of reason (thank you Forced and sickpup), I stand corrected. Embarassed
But I still question why anyone would cable tie the brake lever in order to "get any last air" out of the system. Once the master cylinder piston seal covers the compensating port, all path of air escape is effectively blocked. How is pressurizing the brake line going to help air float up to the top---magic? If you can pull your brake lever all the way to the handlebar, something is wrong. Either there is still air in the system, you have a leaking seal, or you have bent the brake lever.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have bled hundreds of brakes successfully, (including the VFR linked brakes and the BMW servo assist) without resorting to a cable tie on the brake lever.

In my experience when brakes don't bleed it is almost always dodgy master cylinder seals so trying to apply the points you have made to a defective system doesn't really work.
As soon as you replace the M/C seals the brakes normally bleed up easily in a few minutes.

topperuk
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:49 - 19 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The brakes are bled and are solid (well as solid as they get on a kawasaki 650!)

I was told that applying pressure after a major overhaul serves 2 purposes.. 1. A system leak check - leave it overnight and see if you have any leaks. 2. The pressure applied can help any of the tiny microbubbles left behind to work their way out (whether this works or not I don't know, but it's mainly the leak check I'm using it for..)

Back to the original issue - the weeping past the threads (not through the central hole).. I've dug the original nipples out of the bin and they had put a wrap of PTFE around the threads - gonna give this a bash..

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:50 - 19 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

topperuk wrote:
I've dug the original nipples out of the bin and they had put a wrap of PTFE around the threads - gonna give this a bash..

PTFE works Thumbs Up Done that trick before.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 10:52 - 19 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris wrote:

No it doesn't work, it's dangerous. The thread is not the seal.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:01 - 19 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

topperuk wrote:
I've dug the original nipples out of the bin and they had put a wrap of PTFE around the threads - gonna give this a bash..

I should examine the ends of the nipples themselves for damage or distortion, and the seats at the bottom of the threaded hole, as far as you can, and report back/get it fixed.

Is there something stopping the bleed nipples screwing in far enough, for instance is the non-threaded plain bit ending in a taper too short for some reason (nonstandard calipers/nipples (?)). When you do them up, how much force are you applying?

You really should not have to make a nasty bodge with PTFE tape. If you do, apply it the right way around and only to the threaded portion. Edit: not sure how easy it will be to tell that the bleed nipple's properly seated if you put tape on, either, it's a bad idea, I wonder why the previous ones had it....

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:08 - 19 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Kris wrote:

No it doesn't work, it's dangerous. The thread is not the seal.

The tape isn't actually a sealant, it's a lubricant to allow the connection to tighten further. And it's used in many hydraulic systems with a higher pressure than a brake system on a bike. Just don't add too much tape and keep it away from the leading 2 threads.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:13 - 19 May 2020    Post subject: Re: Brake Bleed Nipples "weeping" Reply with quote

topperuk wrote:
Have bled and all happy - but have just used a new (to me) trick of cable tieing the brake lever back to the bar to get the last of any air out of the system.

It's been sitting for around 4 hours now and i'm noticing slight weeping of brake fluid from the (new TRK) bleed nipples of both front calipers.
The fluid is weeping from the threads around the edge - not from the centre holes..

It really is minor - after 4 hours you'd be lucky to get anywhere near a drop, but it is there.

Hang on a minute. Are you sure it's a real problem, and not just fliud creeping up around the threads? There will still be some fluid in the bore of the thing and around the bottom, on the unpressurised side of the seat, after you have bled it. Try drying it off and removing fluid from the bore of the thing (hypodermic, absorbent strip of stuff) and leaving it to see if it "stops".

Re "removing microbubbles" (?), I cannot see any way this could happen from keeping the system under pressure. Brake fluid is fluid. Air is fluid. They don't mix. You might, with time, get tiny bubbles coalescing into bigger ones, but that'll be a function of time not pressure.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:25 - 19 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris wrote:
sickpup wrote:
(PTFE) No it doesn't work, it's dangerous. The thread is not the seal.

The tape isn't actually a sealant, it's a lubricant to allow the connection to tighten further. And it's used in many hydraulic systems with a higher pressure than a brake system on a bike. Just don't add too much tape and keep it away from the leading 2 threads.

I will go all out and say:

sickpup: I certainly agree that the threads of the bleed nipple are not the seal, in any way whatsoever.

OP: Think about it! Think about where the bleed hole at the bottom of the hole is, that connects to the bore of the bleed nipple, and where the thread seal would go. It's not sealing *anything*. It's useless yo put it there, perhaps worse than useless as it will alter the twist that you or a torque wrench feel when doing up the thread, and it will start to disintegrate during the bleeding process.

Kris: Yes, PTFE does have lubricating properties.

Kris: The tape is most certainly a sealant too, and yes, is used in high pressure as well as low pressure applications, and also by some plumbers etc. where it should not be used, e.g. compression fittings.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 12:30 - 19 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris wrote:

If you need a lubricant so you can tighten the nipple up the seat is damaged.

topperuk
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:51 - 19 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for your input on this thread.

It's obviously bothered me overnight - I was worried I'd have stripped the threads in the calipers even though I was sure I hadn't overtightened them! - so I took the new bleed nipples out this morning to compare them to the oem ones.

As you can see the tapered end is completely different, no wonder it didn't seal properly..

Complaint email sent to wemoto!

Thanks all - i'll get some of some new OEM ones (the other ones came as part of the caliper servicing kit for my bike from TRK via wemoto) and swap the older OEM ones over when they arrive..

Cheers,

Dan

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:58 - 19 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pic. Shows the difference and also exactly why PTFE on the threadis is useless for sealing (the fluid would go straight up the inside of the nipple anyway).

kolu
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:11 - 19 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

topperuk wrote:
Thanks all for your input on this thread.

It's obviously bothered me overnight - I was worried I'd have stripped the threads in the calipers even though I was sure I hadn't overtightened them! - so I took the new bleed nipples out this morning to compare them to the oem ones.

As you can see the tapered end is completely different, no wonder it didn't seal properly..

Complaint email sent to wemoto!

Thanks all - i'll get some of some new OEM ones (the other ones came as part of the caliper servicing kit for my bike from TRK via wemoto) and swap the older OEM ones over when they arrive..

Cheers,

Dan

Hi there, I had similar problems with the caliper kit from TRK (also bought at wemoto) - bleed nipple looked similar enough though but was still weeping through thread, wrong sized rubber boots... I just put back the old nipple and forget about the cheap crap.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 13:17 - 19 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

kolu wrote:
I just put back the old nipple and forget about the cheap crap.

Not cheap as such, just the wrong fitment.
The replacement has a standard seat and the original a shallow seat

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:39 - 19 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's nice to be right two days I a row.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:01 - 19 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
FWIW I don't the think the requirement is to pull the lever back using full pressure. you only need to open the passages to allow air bubbles to float up. A modest but sustained pull-back usually satisfies.

That's not what's happening. In fact the opposite is happening - when you pull the lever the master cylinder closes the fluid port. Best I can figure this commonly-recommended approach simply compresses any air bubbles so they become smaller, more mobile and better able to migrate upwards. If they gather at the master cylinder, when it is eventually released the bubbles exit into the fluid reservoir.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 342 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1