Intercoms

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:47 - 18 May 2020    Post subject: Intercoms Reply with quote

Hi all

Just wondering if you guys who use intercoms with your buddies while you're out riding would care to give your recommendations on what to use?

Looking for at least 3 or 4 devices at present, with the ability to add more later on.

Done a bit of YouTube browsing and saw a video by FortNine. I like the idea of the walkie-talkie instead of using a dedicated bluetooth unit that sticks to the side of the helmet. Partly for cost reasons (can get 4x really nice top of the range walkie-talkies for £150 https://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorola-PMR446-Walkie-Talkie-Waterproof/dp/B0857FQ55M/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Motorola+Tlkr+T92+H2O+PMR446+2-Way+Walkie+Talkie+Waterproof+Radio+Quad+Pack+with+Travel+Case&qid=1589829957&sr=8-1) whereas all the others seem to be in excess of £150 to £350 PER UNIT!

I think most people just buy what their mates already have so they'll be compatible with the existing group but we're starting a fresh as a riding family (me, son and wife and also my dad sometimes plus I also go out with other buddies so would be nice to loan them my stuff so we're all compatible rather than us all entering into an agreement with various friends to all buy the same expensive gear together so we can all be compatible which may break after a few years or become obsolete???).

Although cost does come into it it's actually my last concern over functionality. I would be prepared to fork out the money for more expensive systems but I want something robust and DEAD simple to use, the walkie-talkie seems to fit the bill in this respect as it's not Bluetooth so range is claimed 10km plus won't have any connection issues with people dropping in and out if formation is changed or someone gets lost behind etc.

Not interested in listening to music / connecting to phone or taking calls etc.

Only thing I'm struggling with is finding a suitable 2.5mm headset for the walkie-talkies to go inside the helmet. Motorola do one in their accessory lineup but two problems I see is:
1) it's PTT (push to talk) which is great except the PTT button is on the same bit as the mic and is a clip-on the collar type thing so slightly worried about getting access to the PTT button and whether the voice will be clear enough without having a mic actually inside the helmet
2) I can get the 4x walkie-talkie set on Amazon in the UK but can't seem to find anywhere that sells the official Motorola accessories

For these two reasons I'd probably be looking for a third party set that's intended to go inside the helmet.

So yeah just wanting a bit of input from your guys as I've never used anything like this before. Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree with the walkie-talkies and it's a crap idea and won't meet my needs? Of if it's a good idea can you recommend a 2.5mm (I think it's 2.5mm maybe 3.5mm?) set to use in conjunction with the kit?

If walkie-talkie not a good idea what would you recommend personally and why?

Eddie Hitler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:03 - 18 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me and my mate use the Sena 10s. Easy to connect and has made my life way easier. I was really resistant to the idea of helmet speakers but I find using my earplugs perfect. This is from years of using high quality earphones for ear protection and music.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:06 - 19 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience with bluetooth sets is overwhelmingly positive, but, at least 10 years ago, you really did get what you paid for and the cheap sets were known for being cack.

I've not looked to buy anything more recently, but tech being how it is it's perfectly possible that the cheap stuff has caught up and is perfectly usable these days.

Sorry, that's probably not all that helpful!

I have considered trying walkie-talkies, but in my admittedly short time looking I couldn't find anything voice activated, and push to talk would annoy me on the bike.

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:24 - 19 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those Motorola walkie-talkies I linked to do have voice activation but apparently that function is only usable with the headset and mic boom, and not with the earphones :-/

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:35 - 19 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only help with Bluetooth sets

Fodsports M1S Pro. I use one for work during 8 hour shifts of pretty much constant riding. Works really well linked to one other set. Audio is clear up to about 65mph, works a little faster depending on screen and wind conditions. Had them about 8 months and they've been reliable. Battery easily lasts 12+ hours, I've never tried longer. Works great even at motorway speeds for music too, again a full hour of riding. You can link 4 sets simultaneously without issue, may do more.

At £56 per unit we've been delighted with them (4 of us have them) and have had no issues thus far and see no reason to buy anything else. I've used top of the range scala too and they weren't significantly better
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 335 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1